Stihl 201T or Echo 355T as Go-To saw in 4-saw amateur arborist lineup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colt Marlington

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi all. New to the forum and have not so suddenly developed an artistic interest in trees. And I have recently channeled my OCD towards chainsaws.
I'm too old to race dirt bikes anymore. Crotch rockets are also a thing of the past for me. And can't really get into wrenching on cars without feeling like it's a job. Rifles and hunting gear never get used as much as I'd like. Boats seem to be an endless money pit
So I am getting more into specialized equipment of the landscape variety, and have started getting some new equipment that I hope will give me many years of service. As an aspiring amateur arborist who might make a dollar now and then using said equipment, I feel this is a worthwhile endeavor.
I won't be climbing very high up in trees. But might venture up a well secured ladder with a saw on occasion.

I've decided for what I do that a 4-saw lineup would be ideal.

My biggest purchase so far, in cash outlay and size, is an Echo PPT-2620 telescoping power pruner. This machine has already started paying for itself in many ways.
I chose this over the Stihl because of it's perceived durability advantages. And because I may want to upgrade with the available 4 foot extension in the near future.
It's a great tool that has let me safely cut limbs a little piece at a time that were hanging over power lines, I've done some tree shaping, raising the canopy on a large tree to 20+ feet providing a high shade and turning an otherwise unsavory tree into an interesting specimen. And have been able to get on the roof and eliminate the potential of future storm damage from limbs that were hanging precariously. It's also a great workout that could potentially save me hundreds by not joining a gym or buying exercise equipment.

Next up in my lineup is my big saw. I chose a not so big saw for my big saw because my firewood production consists mainly as a side effect from pruning large limbs and the occasional removal.
This saw may only see use a couple or six times of year, so it wasn't in the budget for me to get a Stihl MS 241. But I still thought it was important in my lineup and was lucky to find a great deal on an Echo CS-490 that is not too far off in power to weight ratio from the 241. And although it still has a good deal of plastic in the construction, I do appreciate the magnesium case.
I like this saw very well so far as it's already partially paid for itself with a couple of large stump removals that could not have been accomplished so easily with a smaller saw. The saw is lightweight and well balanced for a 50cc saw, and so far has displayed acceptable power. Also, due to the higher power numbers of all the other Echo 50cc saws, I believe it has the potential for a bit more power hopefully without any exorbitant expense.
This saw should serve me well for 95% of my BIG work. And if I have to rent something bigger once every few years, so be it.

For my smallest saw I have about decided that I really want and need an Echo CS-2511T. This may be somewhat of a luxury saw, but I can potentially see it being a key player in my working saw lineup as well as extending into recreational use more than just about any cutting tool other than maybe a small axe or a good knife. I really love the look and feel of this little saw.

And finally, my main everyday workhorse saw. For me I think this should most likely be one of the largest, most powerful top handle saws. I've grown used to doing 95% of my chainsaw work with a Stihl 009L, and haven't quite been able to warm up to the small/midsize rear handle saws, as I've been using one recently and I just don't love it. But I won't mind having a saw that's a little lighter with a little more power.
I've considered one of the rear handle conversion saws, like the 201C or 361P but still think I'll be happier with a big top handle.
So....Is the Stihl worth the price for a new MS 201TCM? Or is it worth taking a chance on a slightly used one that still costs more than a brand new Echo CS-355T? I do appreciate the way the Stihl is constructed out of so much metal. And I think the ergonomics and external durability might be a shade better. But so far the Echo's have been nice runners.
Are there any other candidates in the same weight/power range that can also compare in quality?

Can the voice of great experience here help me decide? I am struggling in that I love the metal body of the Stihl. And I'm hoping to purchase a saw with great durability that won't require a lot to keep it going for many years to come. But dang there's a good bit of difference in the price.

I used to work for a company with a 200t and a 201tc. I used these saws for 2 years. As I was asked more and more for side work, I decided to get a 355t...mainly for price. Pretty soon, when I had a long day in a tree and didn't want to screw around with a chainsaw, I started bringing my own 355t to work. This saw is now 2 years old, being run every day (except sundays I guess), and it still starts without a second thought. It still cuts without stalling in 12" wood. I haven't replaced anything on it and haven't done any mods to it. It's an amazing saw.

The stihls that I used at work had issues of not starting without a fuss, and not feeling as smooth and solid in the cut. I put a lot of work into their tuning, chains, and cleanliness and I still never loved them like my 355t.

Looking at the specs, the 201 boasts a mild amount more hp. From my experience, both saws will last as long as you take care of them. If you are constantly cutting 12" plus wood with it, maybe you want the extra hp. That extra hp of the 201 comes at almost double the cost of the 355 though.

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty slow, so I won't constantly be cutting anything much less 12" logs. My average large stuff is 6 to 8 inch limbs.
But I'm mainly just trying to get a little bit lighter and a little more power than the two saws I've been using which are about 9 pounds and just under 2hp. While hopefully staying close in size and maneuverability to the 009.

I was considering trying to trade for a 201TC tomorrow, but am unsure of what I'd be getting into. And I certainly don't want to work on anything anymore than I have to.

I have both the 355T & a shiny new 2511T. I have one season on the 355T, it starts, runs, stops, just like it should. The 2511T is also a runner, the best part is the size/weight or the lack of it. I packed it all day on a trail maintenance hike & it weighed the same at the end of the day as at the start, so small I hardly noticed it. I recommend both without reservation. My Echo dealer is top notch.
I tried a Stihl 201TCM & it was an expensive disappointment, compounded by the dealer who was unable to resolve the issues over a two season span.
A quality dealer who is responsive is a big plus in my book & makes or breaks the ownership experience.

Hey, thanks caesarleigh!
I'm definitely going to get the 2511T next. Probably in about two and a half weeks if I can stand to wait that long until the local 20% off sale. But I'm Jonesin for a fix so I may have to go get one sooner.

Starting to think I could just get by with the little 2511T for 80% of my work and then use the 490 for the other 20%.
Maybe I should just put the idea of a midsize saw on the backburner until I find a deal I can't pass up, or there comes a day when I can no longer do without it.

Hi all. New to the forum and have not so suddenly developed an artistic interest in trees. And I have recently channeled my OCD towards chainsaws.
I'm too old to race dirt bikes anymore. Crotch rockets are also a thing of the past for me. And can't really get into wrenching on cars without feeling like it's a job. Rifles and hunting gear never get used as much as I'd like. Boats seem to be an endless money pit
So I am getting more into specialized equipment of the landscape variety, and have started getting some new equipment that I hope will give me many years of service. As an aspiring amateur arborist who might make a dollar now and then using said equipment, I feel this is a worthwhile endeavor.
I won't be climbing very high up in trees. But might venture up a well secured ladder with a saw on occasion.

I've decided for what I do that a 4-saw lineup would be ideal.

My biggest purchase so far, in cash outlay and size, is an Echo PPT-2620 telescoping power pruner. This machine has already started paying for itself in many ways.
I chose this over the Stihl because of it's perceived durability advantages. And because I may want to upgrade with the available 4 foot extension in the near future.
It's a great tool that has let me safely cut limbs a little piece at a time that were hanging over power lines, I've done some tree shaping, raising the canopy on a large tree to 20+ feet providing a high shade and turning an otherwise unsavory tree into an interesting specimen. And have been able to get on the roof and eliminate the potential of future storm damage from limbs that were hanging precariously. It's also a great workout that could potentially save me hundreds by not joining a gym or buying exercise equipment.

Next up in my lineup is my big saw. I chose a not so big saw for my big saw because my firewood production consists mainly as a side effect from pruning large limbs and the occasional removal.
This saw may only see use a couple or six times of year, so it wasn't in the budget for me to get a Stihl MS 241. But I still thought it was important in my lineup and was lucky to find a great deal on an Echo CS-490 that is not too far off in power to weight ratio from the 241. And although it still has a good deal of plastic in the construction, I do appreciate the magnesium case.
I like this saw very well so far as it's already partially paid for itself with a couple of large stump removals that could not have been accomplished so easily with a smaller saw. The saw is lightweight and well balanced for a 50cc saw, and so far has displayed acceptable power. Also, due to the higher power numbers of all the other Echo 50cc saws, I believe it has the potential for a bit more power hopefully without any exorbitant expense.
This saw should serve me well for 95% of my BIG work. And if I have to rent something bigger once every few years, so be it.

For my smallest saw I have about decided that I really want and need an Echo CS-2511T. This may be somewhat of a luxury saw, but I can potentially see it being a key player in my working saw lineup as well as extending into recreational use more than just about any cutting tool other than maybe a small axe or a good knife. I really love the look and feel of this little saw.

And finally, my main everyday workhorse saw. For me I think this should most likely be one of the largest, most powerful top handle saws. I've grown used to doing 95% of my chainsaw work with a Stihl 009L, and haven't quite been able to warm up to the small/midsize rear handle saws, as I've been using one recently and I just don't love it. But I won't mind having a saw that's a little lighter with a little more power.
I've considered one of the rear handle conversion saws, like the 201C or 361P but still think I'll be happier with a big top handle.
So....Is the Stihl worth the price for a new MS 201TCM? Or is it worth taking a chance on a slightly used one that still costs more than a brand new Echo CS-355T? I do appreciate the way the Stihl is constructed out of so much metal. And I think the ergonomics and external durability might be a shade better. But so far the Echo's have been nice runners.
Are there any other candidates in the same weight/power range that can also compare in quality?

Can the voice of great experience here help me decide? I am struggling in that I love the metal body of the Stihl. And I'm hoping to purchase a saw with great durability that won't require a lot to keep it going for many years to come. But dang there's a good bit of difference in the price.
I saw it a little late. But I think this video is very self-explanatory.

I've had a 2511T for a couple years, I love that thing. I use it around the yard for everything. The grandson started using it, he completely cut up a couple 12 inch birch trees with it Least weekend. I'd grab a 2511 and you may find it's all you need for a top handle, it's a pretty amazing little saw.

Id say that's a money question. I would prefer the Magnesium frame saw if money was limitless.
I have never seen a 201 video that compares to this though:

This is a Top handle Echo 360 that I put a rear handle on to and a 14" guide bar, I prefer my top handle saw to be a tad more lightweight and with a 10-12" for comfort and maneuverability. After all I'm only limbing branches with it, not bucking logs like on the video - I would normally use my ms241cm or Dolmar 5105 for that.

I used to work for a company with a 200t and a 201tc. I used these saws for 2 years. As I was asked more and more for side work, I decided to get a 355t...mainly for price. Pretty soon, when I had a long day in a tree and didn't want to screw around with a chainsaw, I started bringing my own 355t to work. This saw is now 2 years old, being run every day (except sundays I guess), and it still starts without a second thought. It still cuts without stalling in 12" wood. I haven't replaced anything on it and haven't done any mods to it. It's an amazing saw.

The stihls that I used at work had issues of not starting without a fuss, and not feeling as smooth and solid in the cut. I put a lot of work into their tuning, chains, and cleanliness and I still never loved them like my 355t.

Looking at the specs, the 201 boasts a mild amount more hp. From my experience, both saws will last as long as you take care of them. If you are constantly cutting 12" plus wood with it, maybe you want the extra hp. That extra hp of the 201 comes at almost double the cost of the 355 though.
Thank you for the detailed information. Nice to see what you wrote while searching for echo chainsaw

This thread is a bit on the old side, but I'll respond anyway...I've got an Echo 2511t and a Stihl 201tcm.

The 2511 is considerably lighter, like 4lbs lighter. It really has decent power for it's size. I was expecting a dog, and it kinda was in stock form, but with gutting the muffler and opening up the outlet, it's a different saw. I'm running a narrow-kerf 16" Woodland Pro bar and chain on it, it works fine for the softwoods that I'm usually climbing and is a fast limber. The only real issue I have with it is the fuel tank seems pretty small.

The 201 is all about torque. It's my go-to saw if I'm climbing an oak or some other hardwood tree. It runs the stock .050" 3/8p 16" Stihl bar and chisel chain. Definitely pulls harder than the 2511 when buried in a log. Mines a newer version, which is supposed to be better than the older 201...so no reliability issues with it, it kinda sold me on M-tronic with how reliable it's been.

That being said, I'd describe the powerband as being kinda lazy on the stock 201...just slow to pick up chain speed and didn't rev like I'd expect a small saw to rev. While not a pro-porter, I do know enough to improve the performance of my own saws. First was a muffler mod, but that was only a minor improvement. I tightened the squish up on the 201 and did a little work on the ports(mostly exhaust,) and it's now a totally different saw. It's very responsive now and spools up very quickly. It's still a powerful little saw when dogged into a log, but is a much better limber now.

I'm picking up a 2511t later today. After running one this weekend at the PNW gtg, I gotta have one. With a 12" bar and .043 Guage chain. I could push it hard in 12" Wood without it even slowing down much. There was a Stihl ms150 on hand, and even it's owner admitted the 2511 spanked it pretty good. The air filter cover was well designed and the starter handle doubles as a tool to unscrew the oil cap if needed.
This thread is a bit on the old side, but I'll respond anyway...I've got an Echo 2511t and a Stihl 201tcm.

The 2511 is considerably lighter, like 4lbs lighter. It really has decent power for it's size. I was expecting a dog, and it kinda was in stock form, but with gutting the muffler and opening up the outlet, it's a different saw. I'm running a narrow-kerf 16" Woodland Pro bar and chain on it, it works fine for the softwoods that I'm usually climbing and is a fast limber. The only real issue I have with it is the fuel tank seems pretty small.

The 201 is all about torque. It's my go-to saw if I'm climbing an oak or some other hardwood tree. It runs the stock .050" 3/8p 16" Stihl bar and chisel chain. Definitely pulls harder than the 2511 when buried in a log. Mines a newer version, which is supposed to be better than the older 201...so no reliability issues with it, it kinda sold me on M-tronic with how reliable it's been.

That being said, I'd describe the powerband as being kinda lazy on the stock 201...just slow to pick up chain speed and didn't rev like I'd expect a small saw to rev. While not a pro-porter, I do know enough to improve the performance of my own saws. First was a muffler mod, but that was only a minor improvement. I tightened the squish up on the 201 and did a little work on the ports(mostly exhaust,) and it's now a totally different saw. It's very responsive now and spools up very quickly. It's still a powerful little saw when dogged into a log, but is a much better limber now.

I'm picking up a 2511t later today. After running one this weekend at the PNW gtg, I gotta have one. With a 12" bar and .043 Guage chain. I could push it hard in 12" Wood without it even slowing down much. There was a Stihl ms150 on hand, and even it's owner admitted the 2511 spanked it pretty good. The air filter cover was well designed and the starter handle doubles as a tool to unscrew the oil cap if needed.
Let us know how you like it, I would like one but it's an expensive little rascal.

About all it needs is a muffler mod. However, they are a pain to do. I had to split the thing along the seam, cut out the catalyst, open things up and weld it back together. Timing advance did a bit of good but not much.20220430_212409.jpg20220430_213427.jpg20220430_215102.jpg20220430_220044.jpg

Maybe a little timing advance with the flywheel key would add a little pep?

My only mod on the 360 is opening the muffler and remove the cat, exhaust outlet is plenty on the Echo's.
I enlarged it slightly like 10-15%. I used silver solder to weld it together. Its difficult with these because they are all soldered togeter - every part. I would recommend "not" to split the muffler and rather do what you can through the existing holes. The ideal muffler is empty, no divider wall - but you can do a lot through the existing holes.

Less than 14" I would recommend 1,1mm/.043 narrow kerf, it will significantly add smoothness and cut speed.
At 14" or above I would recommend .050 chain because the .043 will derail easily and it will mess up the chain to the extent of trash.

Maybe a little timing advance with the flywheel key would add a little pep?
Everything I've read is that the older 201 benefitted from a timing advance. Supposedly on the newer ones it does little to nothing.

Messing with the porting really helped it. I didn't do much too it...in fact I was only cautiously optimistic, as there wasn't much I could do to it...mostly just some timing changes. Oddly enough, this saw has some of the most notable improvements over most of the other saws I've ported.

Latest posts

Back