Stihl 201tc-m hesitation problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvanfosson

Reaction score
Ok guys I've got 2 201tc-m bought at the same time with the same issue. I've had them for a couple years so they are well broke in.
They have hesitation going from idle to speed up. Sometime it will die other times have to feather the throttle to get it wide open. It's getting old real quick.
I have replaced carb with new, advanced the timing, exhaust mod, new spark plug. Only thing I know to try now is the ignition module.
Any thoughts or same problems? TIA

u didn’t mention fuel filter?
air boot, impulse line?

Check for any air leaks, cranckcase, carburetor etc. The hesitation from idle may also come from a not properly adjusted inlet control lever in the carburetor. Also the solenoid valve can be faulty, but your dealer can test that if it is the case.

I know at one time Stihl was boxing the ignition module and the carburetor as a kit. And, if you replaced the old solenoids you replaced the ignition. But, lot of guys say they have replaced the solenoid and not the ignition and they worked fine.
If yours are only two years old you should have the new solenoid to start with I would think.
Those are some expensive parts to start throwing at it.

BTW, I had to replace the solenoid on one a few weeks ago after replacing the solenoid and then the complete carb. No change. New ignition module and it ran fine.

Here is a question . If you start the saw in the triangle position will it sit there and run like it is going to choke out but keep running for say at least 60 seconds ? Or, does it rev high so you have to use the brake to keep the chain from spinning ?

Check for any air leaks, cranckcase, carburetor etc. The hesitation from idle may also come from a not properly adjusted inlet control lever in the carburetor. Also the solenoid valve can be faulty, but your dealer can test that if it is the case.
Can you detail how the solenoid is "tested" I've always just "replaced" as the "test" and 90% of the time it was the right "test"

Can you detail how the solenoid is "tested" I've always just "replaced" as the "test" and 90% of the time it was the right "test"

I have replaced 8 or 10 solenoids and it cured the problem on all but that one MS201 which turned out to be the ignition module.

What it was doing was idling really fast in the triangle position, and then you could make a couple of cuts and it would lean out and cut off.

Was the ignition module. Damn VooDoo.

I’ve replaced a few wiring harnesses. Saw seems to start fine and idle- die during cut like someone shut off saw-especially if you leaned on it

I have replaced 8 or 10 solenoids and it cured the problem on all but that one MS201 which turned out to be the ignition module.

What it was doing was idling really fast in the triangle position, and then you could make a couple of cuts and it would lean out and cut off.

Was the ignition module. Damn VooDoo.
Have had many weird symptoms removed by solenoid witchcraft swapping. And lots lots lots of curse removal techniques.

Back