Stihl 261 bar oil leaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillettadam

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, got a mid 2020 Stihl 261. Very nice saw and works really well. I have a bit of an issue which is that bar oil seems to leak out between the bar and the saw, and I'm not sure how or why! It is almost like the oiler holes don't line up and the oil is squeezing out where it can rather than where it should. I have had this issue with both the rollomatic e bar (0.325 1.6mm) and the light 04 bar (0.325 1.3mm) running stihl synth plus oil. The chain does get oiled, but it isn't drowning. I have taken off the bit of tin that goes between the bar and the saw and made sure both faces there were spotless and have done the same between the bar and the bit of tin. This hasnt made any difference... it's not really a big issue but it isnt quite right and it annoys me and detracts from using what is otherwise a really nice bit of kit. Wondered if anyone else has had similar issues and come up with a fix? I did wonder about enlarging the oil hole in the bar in case that isn't quite lining up right? Any suggestions welcome!

Just a thought I am running an 8 tooth sprocket as having tried both a 7 and an 8 found this worked best for me. Would this mean the bar is too far back and not lining up with the oil slot properly?

Update, just double checked and the oiler hole in the bar does line up with the slot in the saw, I poked a bent bit of wire through the hole and it lines up well. The rollomatic bar was cleaned out, and the light 04 is brand new so the rails arent blocked up with saw dust. I'll try and run it with the bar on but no chain and side cover tomorrow and see if I can see what is going on!

Latest posts

Back