Stihl 261c rim sprocket.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In response to how to increase oil flow on 261, I too feel this is an area where it is possibly lacking. Doing what research I could I found on you tube a short clip on this. The guts of it was as follows :- guy with camera reads from instruction sheet (new) If full flow from pump is inadequate it may be increased by using a small punch to drive in peg adjoining adjustment screw ( i see it is indeed there ) which he proceeds to do. three very light taps and oil flow adjuster screw can then go maybe 1/8 turn more up. Seems unlikely to me so I have not tried it. Explanation was this is to hold back max oil flow in line with emissions etc requirements. might be right, might not-- make your own choice but my first check was inlet screen. Anyone got a new saw with ......INSTRUCTIONS.

Might work, but anytime I've involved a hammer on tiny mechanisms, I usually end up replacing something. I've seen nothing in the manual on this.

You're probably spending more time idling and not turning the oil pump.

If the bar is being oiled properly, it doesn't really matter how much oil you have left at the end of a tank.
Good point. It would be nice to have more oil because I’m cutting in snow which melts and dilutes the oil.

Good point. It would be nice to have more oil because I’m cutting in snow which melts and dilutes the oil.

Water doesn't displace oil though since oil is not water soluble. Not really an issue unless you're cutting in a lake, and in that case, the water is plenty of lubrication and coolant so it's no big deal you just have to remember to re-oil everything before putting it away in situations like that or rust will become an issue.

Back