stihl 271 (no good deed goes unpunished)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A fella wheels (wheel chair) into the store last week with a MS271 with the chain hanging off the thing. I hear the story about how it didn't run right, and was the biggest piece of doo doo ever. He claimed we had serviced it before, and that they had down the road as well. I told him I would put it back together. He said it is under warranty. Well, I poke the id # into the stihl computer, and chased down the purchase. Yes he did buy it from my store. On a Tuesday. I am wondering who set it up? Wasn't me...
Initially what the fella wanted was me to pull a NEW saw off the shelf, and send him on his way. I said "ain't gonna happen".

Ok, let's look at the saw. Chain is not on the sprocket and had been thrown judging by the buggered up drivers. It was also dull as a garden hoe. Alright. I fetch out the small engine checklist, and let's go thru this thing, make certain all is in order. Vac and pressure check, cylinder, etc. All is good. Put it back together, and then the magic of adjusting the carburetor correctly, and it runs quite nicely. Sharpen the chain up.

Figure it up, and be nice. Only charge half an hour for fiddling with this thing plus sharpening the chain. Total was $38.50

He thought it was all under warranty? Excuse me? Page 59 in your manual (I looked it up) abuse is not covered in warranty. If the engine had serious problems I would have warrantied it. And to me, putting the thing back into ship shape for less than $40 is cheap. Cleaned it up and all.

He did pay the $38.

I guess this should be okay for now, until he messes it up again. Claims to be a mechanic (works for a friend of mine up here) and I really would expect better from a like minded gear head!

had a guy buy a new ms 291 3 days later the saw comes in with a melted case. The guy said it was just idling on the ground and it just stoped....... I knew the guy was was just full of it the bar was cracked from him trying to un pinch the saw and other cracks in the saw..... I decided as a dealer to give him a $200 credit for the saw. He agreed and bought a ms 251.

Eh..yes, but anything not covered by warranty should be called and verified before doing the repair. Used to deal with alot of warranty repairs (echo, Shindaiwa, briggs, kohler, bearcat, Kawasaki, simplicity, snapper, snapper pro, etc...) And it was always made clear that when a suspected warranty repair comes in, we don't charge the normal drop off fee, and any repairs needed that are nit covered we have to get permission first.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Back