Stihl 400 cm specs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real case :
Recently a friend's Husqvarna xp562 dies.
He choose stihl ms 400 for a replacement, instead of buying a new xp562.
Che also own xp550, xp572, so he doesn' t need ms462 nor ms500.

Just check the saw.....
Nice saw : it has more torque than a Husqvarna counterpart (562 /572)....
No doubt : it is a felling chainsaw (not by limbing)

But.....who uses Stihl all year round says : for a few extra ounces I have 462 (which is a completely different planet)
With this, however, I consider it an excellent chainsaw

IMG_20200606_121739.jpgIMG_20200606_121632.jpgIMG_20200606_121649.jpgIMG_20200606_121707.jpg

34mm stroke with 50mm bore is 66.8mm.
I was looking for the bore and stroke spec's for the MS400 C-M and found this information (above). I hope that I'm not mistaken, but the ending should be cc, not "mm." As in, 34mm stroke with 50mm bore is 66.8cc.

Hope this helps others who've found it diffcult obtaining certain spec's for this particular saw. 🤠

For the guys that have both a 400 and 500 how do they feel in the hands compared to each other dimensionally as well as weight?
I realize the bar will ultimately determine feel so I’m talking more about the powerheads.
I don’t care about the power difference I already have the 500 I’m just trying to determine if the 400 is a significantly lighter smaller handier package or not?

For the guys that have both a 400 and 500 how do they feel in the hands compared to each other dimensionally as well as weight?
I realize the bar will ultimately determine feel so I’m talking more about the powerheads.
I don’t care about the power difference I already have the 500 I’m just trying to determine if the 400 is a significantly lighter smaller handier package or not?
In regards to your last sentence, to me it is all of those things.

Owning both is wonderful. I picked up a 400 last month and I love it. I also love my 500i. Husqvarna has been my brand for many years, and these two saws have replaced all of my huskies. A 550xp MK 2 will always have a place in my line up, but it will be the lone husky.

Glad you’re enjoying having both, but if I may ask again, is the 400 in your opinion a smaller lighter handier package than the 500 in your hands?
It’s definitely smaller and lighter. As of right now I prefer the 500 over the 400 but not by a lot. Chalk it up to having owned the 500 longer.

Not sure if this is the right place to post… But wondering if anyone has had a problem with the 500 I throwing chains… We recently had two of them side-by-side clearing a property after Atlanta tornado and one of them was 2 months old. The other one was out of the box and surprisingly within about 10 minutes of each other they both had thrown chains. Both were running the steel light bar … one was a 25 the other was a 28… bucking 18 to 24 inch pines… 25 bar was damaged (by?) when chain thrown. We heard that the nuts can come loose even when tightened firmly… That didn’t appear to be the problem… Any comments would be most helpful … FWIW. They are screamers! Made a plunge cut in big black locust… A big one … was almost like butter… We have 461s 462s and a 661. I don’t think 500 makes 661 obsolete. Thank you! Sorry for typos… Voice to text.

There can be any number of reasons for throwing a chain. The most obvious is chain stretch, tension, flexing or pinching the bar. Haven't heard of any specific issues, or anything about the bar nuts backing off.

Back