Stihl 461 leakings oil from side

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendr1x

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was given a 461 with an unknown history. It was sitting for a least 6-8 months. I don't know much about saws so please bear with me.

I changed all the fluids, it then ran perfect as far as I could tell.

However it smoked a lot from the side, I pulled off the cover (took the pic) and noticed that the metal was EXTREMELY hot. Not sure if this is normal but figured I would mention it.

Can anyone provide any advice? Do I have an issue or should I just clean it what I can easily and let the rest burn away?

Thank you !

Attachments

• PXL_20211130_210435334.jpg
    PXL_20211130_210435334.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
it should never get to that temperature unless the user is revving it excessively with the brake on. how is it being used and rev'd

I was given a 461 with an unknown history. It was sitting for a least 6-8 months. I don't know much about saws so please bear with me.

However it smoked a lot from the side, I pulled off the cover (took the pic) and noticed that the metal was EXTREMELY hot. Not sure if this is normal but figured I would mention it.

Can anyone provide any advice? Do I have an issue or should I just clean it what I can easily and let the rest burn away?

Thank you !
First and foremost, it looks like your chain brake is on. Second, all the MS461's I've seen just puke oil all over the clutch side even when they are working right, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Do yourself a favor and download the owner's manual from the Stihl web site and read it. They do a good job of explaining how to run a saw.

Was the engine running when the pic was taken? It looks like the E clip on the crank end is spinning. Maybe just an illusion. But it does look like the brake is on. You should be able to tell because the saw won't rev out hardly at all. But doing so puts a LOT of heat into the clutch surrounding parts. People ruin saws doing that.

If you run the saw without a bar and chain it's going to drool oil all over. It'll do that with a bar too it just takes longer. All my saws drip oil. It's just what they do.

You're going to need to take the cover, chain and bar off to clean the saw and the bar groove then sharpen the chain every two tanks of fuel anyhow. There will be a lot of oily sawdust under the cover to clean out.

Looking at the drum, that was past hot. Might be a good idea to tear it down to the pump for inspection.
Worm might be melted. Clutch springs are probably overheated also. It’s a great saw.
Spend a couple of bucks on it, IF the rest of the saw is in good shape.
The saw it’s self was close to bullet proof.

Thank you !
I'm just a tad curious - did you start the saw or did someone start it for you? I hope when I'm as old as you (88 yo) that I can still start my 461 by myself.

My advice (you asked) is send the saw to me - I'll even pay for the ride.

So that all sounds just about right. I appreciate all the advice. I'm guessing I ran it with the brake on...didn't realize....shame.

Ok...so I gotta pull this apart. Are there repair manuals for these saws?

My goal is to inspect/replace the worm gear and clutch springs?

I just want to make sure I understanding this proper...I can't even let it idle with the break on right? I let it idle for maybe 4 or 5 minutes...I rev'd it a few times not to high. Then I turned it off / noticed the heat.

I just want to make sure I understanding this proper...I can't even let it idle with the break on right? I let it idle for maybe 4 or 5 minutes...I rev'd it a few times not to high. Then I turned it off / noticed the heat.
There are very few good reasons to leave any saw idle for 4-5 minutes. Why did you do that? If it was because the chain was spinning with the saw at idle, then then carb settings require adjustment. In that scenario, continuing to idle with the brake engaged is guaranteed to generate heat, perhaps enough to damage the saw in an expensive way.
I can think of no good reason (other than to check the condition of the brake) to rev a saw while the brake is engaged.

I didn't realize the brake was on. Chain was not moving. I let it idle because it was my first time starting it and I wanted to let it warm up...get clean gas in the carb. I rev'd it for 3 times for 3 seconds each. Obviously my mistake but I'm still surprised the brake doesn't just kill the entire if it is capable of such damage.

If you want to better understand what's going on inside the clutch, there are some enlightening (and amusing) videos on Youtube - search for something like "how a chainsaw clutch works." That should make it clear why high idle with brake on is a killer combination.
As to why the "brake doesn't just kill the entire", at lower rpms the clutch pads don't press hard enough against the drum to stop the engine if the drum won't move, so they slide on the drum and produce prodigious heat.

Thanks for the explanation. Obviously I just feel stupid. I'll tear it apart and see how it looks/best way to learn I guess.

There's a subforum on here for obtaining shop manuals and IPLs (parts lists) and some super helpful folks there who seem to have manuals for everything.

Its hard to tell but you may be new to running chainsaws. If so, always wear safety gear: chaps, steel toe boots, gloves, eye and hearing protection. Husqvarna makes a good inexpensive chainsaw helmet with eye and hearing protection. And you probably could use some instruction or reading. The book "To Fell A Tree" is super useful to remind even advanced users how to do stuff and awesome for beginners. It's very well illustrated, well written and a super easy read. There are some useful videos on Youtube (like the ones from Husqvarna) and a lot of people who have bad habits or are outright idiots. Also a 461 is a pretty big saw for a beginner. Not that you can't cut your leg off with a small saw but the big one can get away from you faster.

So that all sounds just about right. I appreciate all the advice. I'm guessing I ran it with the brake on...didn't realize....shame.

My guess is if you ran w/ brake on you need clutch, CLUTCH DRUM and crank seal, maybe OIL PUMP AND PUMP GEAR, and chain sprocket?

it's all an adventure. grab the manuals as suggested, have a read. Good luck.

Thanks tehnne1713, that is what I was looking for.

Yes I am new to saws. I appreciate all your help.

Back