Stihl 462 or 500i?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougiestyle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been debating this for quite some time. Without rambling on I'll give what info I think is important. I currently have an ms 170 and 211. I really like both saws but my chainsaw repair buddy says it's time for a "big boy" saw. I do agree. I have a sawmill that I haven't used yet but plan to (I've been working out of town). We have 140 acres of all longleaf Pines that are maybe low 20's in diameter. I'll get some logs from local tree companies also. Trees in our area typically don't grow very large so I think either these saws will be fine as far as that goes. My main question is this: my buddy has a 462 and says it's no problem to work on at all (he's a chainsaw repair guy). His concern is that he has heard that the 500i will require software to diagnose /repair that may be exclusive to dealers only. I have watched every YouTube video/review of the 500i and I really like it. However partial I am to the 500i, what is your opinion considering my concerns? BTW, I'm not completely stuck on Stihl but I do like them and have had great luck with them.

I say get the 500. They are a fantastic saw. It will give you and your friend something to talk about and compare. If you are looking to spend more than a grand on a saw, get the one you want. I had the same reservations about buying a saw with more electronics, but so far my 500i has been flawless. If you want to save a little coin get a MS400. If you are afraid of electronics get a MS362 or 462 non m-tronic. It doesn’t sound to me like you need as big of a jump in displacement as your friend implies. You would likely be thrilled with a strong 60cc saw. Just my two cents.

I appreciate all of your advice and opinions. I should have been clear that my mill is a Wood Mizer LX55, not one that uses a chainsaw. So I would just be sawing the trees down and logs to length. I'm starting to lean towards the 500..just seems right. Plus its model number matches my favorite handgun.. The 500 Smith and Wesson.

To my eyes the 500I looks like a pain in the ass to work on based on the design/layout and not the electronics.
It's actually quite easy. Tank comes off quite easily, the throttle body comes off easier than any carb. It's a really simple saw to take apart, I can have the cylinder off in about 5 minutes.

The damn sexiest thing ive seen without red hair in a long time.
ClutchCoverWebsiteHeaderImage_900x.jpg
Like a red head I could just about go for one on looks alone, who gives a **** if its mouthy tempermental and does not live up to exspectations

I like my 500i so far, but I wish someone would explain to me why a Stihl wrap handle is $200+. I've been wanting to put one on my saw but damn that is hard to swallow.

500 it is. My local had one a few days ago so I better go back and see if it's stihl there...lol. I just hope it had the wrap around handle. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks to everybody for your help and knowledge.

The damn sexiest thing ive seen without red hair in a long time.
View attachment 1037769
Like a red head I could just about go for one on looks alone, who gives a **** if its mouthy tempermental and does not live up to exspectations

West coast saw for 500i parts.

Wrap isnt needed if you dont fell big treese and buck wood on flat eastern land.

Wcs saw has 462 stuff too. I truly beleive its a flip a coin decision between these two saws

I don't think it's flip of the coin.

I got a 462 first, enjoyed it once broke in. Eventually got a 500i...like it so much I sold the 462. 500i seems quite a bit more powerful. If you can afford the 500i, that's what I would go for. It's better, IMO.

I'm confused as to why you spent so much time talking about chainsaw milling in your OP if you have an LX55 mill...you should have almost zero need for a chainsaw mill if you have one of those. Neither the 462 or the 500i are milling saws. These are high strung, high RPM rippers. It would be like using a BMW S1000RR to pull trailers. Simply not built for that. If you really want a milling saw you need to be looking at a 661. Lower RPM higher torque, more truck like.

How could a coin flip not be the best method to choose a saw. We are on the CAD forumn were 95% of buyers have little use for the saws they buy.

Not all here fit the 95% category. for the most part I do fit in the 95% as I just want the damn things wether ive got a use for them or not

How could a coin flip not be the best method to choose a saw. We are on the CAD forumn were 95% of buyers have little use for the saws they buy.

Not all here fit the 95% category. for the most part I do fit in the 95% as I just want the damn things wether ive got a use for them or not
If that's the case get both and decide! lol

Back