Stihl 462 or 500i?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More for the cost, availability, and serviceability. I feel like I can clean and rebuild a traditional carb as if I was on auto pilot and for little to no cost. Compared to an m-tropic’s electrical components or fuel solenoid valve having problems it’s not as easy. Not that it’s hard. Just not as easy due to my lack of knowledge of the system in diagnosis and repair.
Replacing a solenoid is easier than installing a carb kit.
It's really a dead si ple system and it also been pretty reliable for the past several years according to the dealer I use.

Its
Replacing a solenoid is easier than installing a carb kit.
It's really a dead si ple system and it also been pretty reliable for the past several years according to the dealer I use.

Again its not about a reliability issue or dislike of electronics. I simply like to work on my saws and I understand traditional carbs quite well. When it comes to parts availability and price ...they play a factor. Currently m-tronic components are hard to come by and cost an order of magnitude more than a can of carb cleaner and a rebuild kit. I'd love to have a 500i and 462c if I didn't care about the cost of parts or their availability.

Its

Again its not about a reliability issue or dislike of electronics. I simply like to work on my saws and I understand traditional carbs quite well. When it comes to parts availability and price ...they play a factor. Currently m-tronic components are hard to come by and cost an order of magnitude more than a can of carb cleaner and a rebuild kit. I'd love to have a 500i and 462c if I didn't care about the cost of parts or their availability.
A solenoid is 20 bucks IIRC. And again a plug in solenoid is the only differance on the carb. Stupid simple.
I think most guys are over estimating the additional complexity.
I am no different. I wouldn't touch Mtronic for years, but after I owned one it's the only way I would buy a saw now.
I am still not big on Husky Autotune, because the solenoid can't easily be replaced.

I bought a 462 two years back. Last month I moved the 462. Replaced it with a ported 400 and then bought a 500. At present here is my 4 saw plan. MS241CM - 16 inch bar, MS261CM ported - 18 inch bar, MS400CM ported - 20 inch light bar, MS500i - 25 inch light bar. I can't decide which saw is my favorite between 400 and 500.
Who did you get to port your 400?

Can you give some honest feedback on the straight shot? Did you run it before and after? Did you opt for the deflector? They sure look like well built muffler covers.
I ran my MS500i thru a couple of tanks of fuel before adding the Egan Straight Shot cover and deflector. I was sure that was the only upgrade at that moment. It seemed to do everything claimed, increased response, more power and overall really snappy sound. Love it, reminds me of younger days on motocross bikes.

The last thing I am is a mechanic so either version doesn’t matter to me. I have three 500i’s and one 462. I obviously prefer the 500. I put a double barrel muffler cover on one 500, I’m not sure if I notice a difference but it sure is louder.
Today I took my 2171 with a pop up piston and muffler mod that CFB did for me. Which I hadn‘t used for a year. Man I love that saw!

The last thing I am is a mechanic so either version doesn’t matter to me. I have three 500i’s and one 462. I obviously prefer the 500. I put a double barrel muffler cover on one 500, I’m not sure if I notice a difference but it sure is louder.
Today I took my 2171 with a flat top piston and muffler mod that CFB did for me. Which I hadn‘t used for a year. Man I love that saw!

On this site more loud is more power. Years ago every other advise to solve any and all saw problems was "do a muffler mod", even if the saw ran out of gas.

I was the one to blow the lid off that piece of folklore, by removing my earplugs. I got twice the loud and twice the power.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/real-men-dont-wear-ear-plugs.326760/

On this site more loud is more power. Years ago every other advise to solve any and all saw problems was "do a muffler mod", even if the saw ran out of gas.

Not sure how noise affects torque or power on a saw, but makes it more fun to use...with hearing pro of course.
I always gut that muffler.

I was the one to blow the lid off that piece of folklore, by removing my earplugs. I got twice the loud and twice the power.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/real-men-dont-wear-ear-plugs.326760/
Muffler mods were and are a well documented way to gain power. It does make them noisy, but only a fool operates a saw without plugs.

Back