Stihl 462 update info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@BonScott46
The crank case has been modified, a new cylinder was made to mate with it that has different porting, and of course a new piston, there is apparently no distinguishable difference noticeable from the outside, take off the muffler and there is writing on the bottom of the exhaust port, a silver sticker has been noted by @Mastermind Worksaws on two of the updated 462 's he has worked on, he also shows some good images that clearly show the differences.

The crank case has been modified, a new cylinder was made to mate with it that has different porting, and of course a new piston, there is apparently no distinguishable difference noticeable from the outside, take off the muffler and there is writing on the bottom of the exhaust port, a silver sticker has been noted by @Mastermind Worksaws on two of the updated 462 's he has worked on, he also shows some good images that clearly show the differences.
What porting changes were made? Port timing? Shapes?

What porting changes were made? Port timing? Shapes?
Do a google search for this term, its the answer that comes up that is not this site,
this is the exact search term for the thread title which contains the images of the
differences. Am not sure what port or timing changes that were made, best search
for the title below, someone who knows has spoken over on the site in question, am
not allowed to post links to the site, sorry.

MS462 Design Changes​

@BonScott46
My 462 is the updated model but does NOT have the etching on the cylinder exhaust port but DOES have silver serial number decal and the serial number is far further than the beginning serial number of the updated version.

Stihl could've made this easier for us. The last few days my brain has been stuck on finding this out. Another member in this forum graciously sent me a screen shot of some info from Stihl with part numbers too. Here it is...

Attachments

• 20A7ACEB-34C0-421A-8D09-F3AAF14A0C90.jpeg
    20A7ACEB-34C0-421A-8D09-F3AAF14A0C90.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 3
So does this mean it was changed because they had issues with the first generation? I’ve been trying to sell one with no hours on it it was only run by the dealer to test it and I never used it because I got a 500i also and chose to run that one instead and loved it so much that I never bothered to run the 462 so I’ve been trying to sell it.

I had someone contact me and tell me that any of the models before serial numbers starting with 190 are the first generation and are known for cracked pistons causing premature engine failure and I had never heard of that until he mentioned it is that true? Mine has serial starting with 187

So does this mean it was changed because they had issues with the first generation? I’ve been trying to sell one with no hours on it it was only run by the dealer to test it and I never used it because I got a 500i also and chose to run that one instead and loved it so much that I never bothered to run the 462 so I’ve been trying to sell it.

I had someone contact me and tell me that any of the models before serial numbers starting with 190 are the first generation and are known for cracked pistons causing premature engine failure and I had never heard of that until he mentioned it is that true? Mine has serial starting with 187
yes, the skirt of the earlier piston used to crack, and then if not fixed, finally fail in a spectacular way.

yes, the skirt of the earlier piston used to crack, and then if not fixed, finally fail in a spectacular way.
Ahh that sucks! I can’t believe that they changed the design too so you can’t fix them that’s kind of shady of Stihl to do that so now I have a brand new saw that’s never been used that nobody wants to buy at least the ones that know about it and I can’t update it because they changed the design to where it won’t work on the old model…

They should’ve recalled them or at least anyone that has one should be able to take it to their dealer and swap it out for the new one but they’re not gonna do that because they want to sell you a new saw which is exactly why they changed the design instead of just making the update work on the existing ones😡

Ahh that sucks! I can’t believe that they changed the design too so you can’t fix them that’s kind of shady of Stihl to do that so now I have a brand new saw that’s never been used that nobody wants to buy at least the ones that know about it and I can’t update it because they changed the design to where it won’t work on the old model…

They should’ve recalled them or at least anyone that has one should be able to take it to their dealer and swap it out for the new one but they’re not gonna do that because they want to sell you a new saw which is exactly why they changed the design instead of just making the update work on the existing ones😡
Use extra oil in the mix and don’t hold it wide open without load and it will be fine

Back