Stihl 500i bog and the died

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmguywithasaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I got tired of getting yelled at because of the puddle of drool I left on the floor every time I went into the dealership. So I bought a 500i, I have about 8 tanks at most through it. So I’m working in snowy conditions, steep ground and -14 celcous. So I had to slash some trees from around some hydro poles. Just a small clump the mulcher can’t get. Anyway I did 2 poles and was half way threw the 3rd when I noticed a bit of hesitation. It got worse to the point if you hit the trigger she would die. If I pumped the primer it would fire up and run for a bit and die. The saw had some ice build up and a lot of snow on it. I checked the air filter it had some snow, cleaned it. Dumped the fuel out and I saw what looked like 2 bubbles in the fuel filter. I thought maybe that it got water in there so I took off the filter and blew through it to clean it. Then swished the tank out and refilled. It’s seemed ok for a bit then did it again. It’s back in the shops. I’m interested to see what he comes up with. My friend has the same saw, had it for a year in similar conditions, wet snow dry cold snow you name it it’s never missed a beat

Shouldn't matter fuel injection or not, they all need intake air heating in certain conditions. My Chev 1500 with throttle body injection have intake heater, and so does the shop truck c4500 Chev with Vortec big block it has dual exhaust manifold heat ducts to preheat the intake air, and it's a MPI injection system! The c4500 is from northwest territories and built for extream cold

One year I had to duct the intake pipe to the warm side of the radiator in the 540b cable skidder I was running. Conditions were just right, and the turbo kept building up ice on the compressor inlet, eventually choking the engine. It takes the right combo of air moisture, air velocity, and air temp to make this happen

Well it spent the night in the dealership. Today he tried it and it ran fine. He left it outside for 2 hours at -27c still ran fine. So I believe that it was related to ice build up. Could be in the intake but I’m thinking either the tank vent or ice in the fuel system

Classic is in the venturi. I've had a small plane lose power and run really bad on a "nice warm afternoon" Sure glad them guys have a carb heat knob. And even SEEN it inside motorcycle and lawnmower carbs now and then.
your operating conditions seem perfect for it to form 'specially with a four stroke's lower fueling needs.

Prolonged low power operation, idling, a long slow decent in an airplane, going down a longish hill in a vehicle.
IE the engine isn't making a lot of heat to keep the carb warm, high vacuum. I see big displacement motorcycle carbs with electric heating elements in the carb body near the venturi.

There’s no venturi in a 500i though. It has a 1/4” thick aluminum throttle body with a butterfly valve followed by a boot 1.5” long with the injector behind it and then the aluminum intake flange on the cylinder.
Could very well be the electronics acting up. Could also be the fuel filter freezing up if it had water in it

Chrysler motors were really bad for iceing in weather at or near freezzng.I have a 1929 Kohler 4 cylinder light plant with a brass carb it ices over the throat in near freezing temps I shut it down wait for the ice to melt and fire it up.The unit will then run normal
Kash

My 462 did pretty much the same thing as your 500. I didn't fight it, as soon as I noticed it acting weird I grabbed it and packed out.
First thing I did was a leak down test witch it passed. Next was a new fuel filter...
Hasn't missed a beat since...
A lot of the time it's just water slime in the gas that clogg the filter up. At times my saws stay a couple of weeks in the brush. I have learned to always fill them up if left overnight. I always put a piece of plastic over them if there's any chance of rain or snow...
Fuel now days is crappy....

My 462 did pretty much the same thing as your 500. I didn't fight it, as soon as I noticed it acting weird I grabbed it and packed out.
First thing I did was a leak down test witch it passed. Next was a new fuel filter...
Hasn't missed a beat since...
A lot of the time it's just water slime in the gas that clogg the filter up. At times my saws stay a couple of weeks in the brush. I have learned to always fill them up if left overnight. I always put a piece of plastic over them if there's any chance of rain or snow...
Fuel now days is crappy....
I didn’t either it went straight to the dealership after I tried flushing the tank

Latest posts

Back