Stihl 500i First Impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pay attention to that and see the difference.
Yep...I've got a coupla 044s and an 066 I built into some strong runners, but I prefer the 500i because of the vibes. I don't necessarily perceive the vibration of the 0-series saws while I'm cutting, but my carpal tunnel issues flare up pretty bad after a day of cutting with them.

Yep...I've got a coupla 044s and an 066 I built into some strong runners, but I prefer the 500i because of the vibes. I don't necessarily perceive the vibration of the 0-series saws while I'm cutting, but my carpal tunnel issues flare up pretty bad after a day of cutting with them.
Well, since I don’t cut all day anymore and doubt I ever will the difference is irrelevant, imo. That said, the 500 is the smoothest saw I have now. The ported 661 had that slot before. The 066 has been in storage mode for a few years now…haven’t used it So can’t really make a comparison.

Well, since I don’t cut all day anymore and doubt I ever will the difference is irrelevant, imo. That said, the 500 is the smoothest saw I have now. The ported 661 had that slot before. The 066 has been in storage mode for a few years now…haven’t used it So can’t really make a comparison.
Cut with one then switch a minute later and you will feel it.

I'm not working right now due to injury but as a western timber faller I normally cut for 7 hours per day minus gassing up and packing from tree to tree. The six saws that I use are the 461, 500, 660, 661 CM, 661 Magnum and 084. Of these saws the 500 is definitely the smoothest and the 084 is by far the roughest. When I was young I fell with a non-AV 090 and then bucked with an 075 or 056.

I'm not very bright any more... that 090 rattled my brains out! LOL. If you ever get a chance to run a non-AV big saw, do it. You will have an immediate appreciation for the smoothness of any anti-vibration saw.

Attachments

• DSCN0936.JPG
    DSCN0936.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
I'm not working right now due to injury but as a western timber faller I normally cut for 7 hours per day minus gassing up and packing from tree to tree. The six saws that I use are the 461, 500, 660, 661 CM, 661 Magnum and 084. Of these saws the 500 is definitely the smoothest and the 084 is by far the roughest. When I was young I fell with a non-AV 090 and then bucked with an 075 or 056.

I'm not very bright any more... that 090 rattled my brains out! LOL. If you ever get a chance to run a non-AV big saw, do it. You will have an immediate appreciation for the smoothness of any anti-vibration saw.

looks like that 090 vibrated you shorter…lol

Well I am only 5' 6" tall and that picture was 3 years ago on my 60th birthday. I cut that snag with an 084 pulling a 50" Cannon bar. If I remember right I took 4 16's off the butt and then 2 32's and a twenty something. Scaled out around 40M feet. 7' 2" average diameter inside the bark on the stump. Happy birthday me! (To your point though, I was 6' 3" tall before the 090. LOL)

I didn't have my 500 then but I could have cut that tree with a 500 pulling a 42" bar. Probably would have had to bore out the heart from inside the undercut but still doable. The 500i is a great saw especially if you have to do a lot of hiking, at least that's my opinion. The WCS Bark Box helped (make a lot of noise) with the power but the Max Flow really made a difference. I live and work in California's Sierra Nevada mountains where our summers are really dry and the stock air filter just wasn't "cutting" it but if you cut in an area where there is more moisture then the stock filter would probably be just fine.

Well I am only 5' 6" tall and that picture was 3 years ago on my 60th birthday. I cut that snag with an 084 pulling a 50" Cannon bar. If I remember right I took 4 16's off the butt and then 2 32's and a twenty something. Scaled out around 40M feet. 7' 2" average diameter inside the bark on the stump. Happy birthday me! (To your point though, I was 6' 3" tall before the 090. LOL)

I didn't have my 500 then but I could have cut that tree with a 500 pulling a 42" bar. Probably would have had to bore out the heart from inside the undercut but still doable. The 500i is a great saw especially if you have to do a lot of hiking, at least that's my opinion. The WCS Bark Box helped (make a lot of noise) with the power but the Max Flow really made a difference. I live and work in California's Sierra Nevada mountains where our summers are really dry and the stock air filter just wasn't "cutting" it but if you cut in an area where there is more moisture then the stock filter would probably be just fine.

:laugh:

Do you still have the standard suspension on your 500i? I changed mine out and it made a world of difference running a 36” bar….

:laugh:

Do you still have the standard suspension on your 500i? I changed mine out and it made a world of difference running a 36” bar….
Yes I do. It's the strangest thing, I'll turn my wallet upside down for some things (like snow skiing stuff) but then I'm a big cheap skate on others. I run the big dawgs from WCS on my saws and recently found the clutch cover on one of my 661's broken where the dawg bolts on. Consequently I've been drooling over one of WCS's beautiful aluminum billet clutch covers but too cheap to take the plunge however... if you recommend the heavy duty suspension and I'm placing an order with WCS anyway... LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!!!

Just kidding with you. LOL. I'm glad you said that suspension made a big difference. I DO need a clutch cover and the HD suspension kit is cheap so I guess I'll be placing my order for both right away. Thank you!

Yes I do. It's the strangest thing, I'll turn my wallet upside down for some things (like snow skiing stuff) but then I'm a big cheap skate on others. I run the big dawgs from WCS on my saws and recently found the clutch cover on one of my 661's broken where the dawg bolts on. Consequently I've been drooling over one of WCS's beautiful aluminum billet clutch covers but too cheap to take the plunge however... if you recommend the heavy duty suspension and I'm placing an order with WCS anyway... LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!!!

Just kidding with you. LOL. I'm glad you said that suspension made a big difference. I DO need a clutch cover and the HD suspension kit is cheap so I guess I'll be placing my order for both right away. Thank you!
i run the WCS suspension, it makes the 500i a completely different saw and is no worse on the vibration. You’ll love dumping your wallet on it!!!
i’m waiting for the clutch cover to go an sale again for 139$, I’m cheap too…lol

Here is a pic of the old bushings I took out, I had to find them….classic engineering fail…lolC0739B83-3479-4529-85AE-29B980E9311E.jpeg7D33AF2F-CF27-45ED-8421-88CF64B97825.jpeg

Attachments

• F096C218-911F-4EA5-9015-A27FFF1CE993.jpeg
    F096C218-911F-4EA5-9015-A27FFF1CE993.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Here's a couple 500i pics from last fall. 36" Stihl Light 3/8, .063, Oregon 75 CJ at .035 and 8 tooth sprocket. Buried and pulling strong. I'm the old fat guy (but with lots of knowledge to make up for being old and fat.) LOL

Attachments

• Dave jacking sugar pine sunrise.jpeg
    Dave jacking sugar pine sunrise.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Patrick driving wedges.jpg
    Patrick driving wedges.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 0
That is way too much saw for me. I am old n beat up. Thank you lonewolf and god for a great 200T. I can start and sit ten min then get up and cut some more.

I really want a second 200T to keep at my girlfriends house so I can clean branches and small storm stuff. Hate to lug a saw in a nice suv. The smell gets all thru it.

Latest posts

Back