Stihl 500i First Impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got to do some cutting with the 500 today. 30+“ Maple. Owner wanted a bunch of 3” cookies for table tops. I did some cleanup cuts with the 24“ that I had on the saw and then switched to a 36” and 7t, full skip chiz. The saw does very well with this long a bar. Not as smooth as my 066 or 661 but not bad. I was able to feel the vibes discussed here. Brand new chain and the chatter at times was quite annoying. And yup, the suspension is the culprit…easy to feel. Funny, I didn’t notice it with a comp 24” chain but that was in soft Poplar.

Now for the big issue…
the saw runs and cuts great. Shut it off for a while and it was a complete pita to get started again.
The only way I could get it to restart was to pump the bulb around 4 times, two to three pulls, let it idle for a while and then try throttle. Repeat that 2-4 times on average to continue working. This is nuts. If I didn’t let it idle it would die as soon as I hit the trigger and the pump process would have to be repeated. continuous pulls of the cord were pointless…no bueno…
I finally gave up and didn’t shut it off. 🙄

WTF?

Finally got to do some cutting with the 500 today. 30+“ Maple. Owner wanted a bunch of 3” cookies for table tops. I did some cleanup cuts with the 24“ that I had on the saw and then switched to a 36” and 7t, full skip chiz. The saw does very well with this long a bar. Not as smooth as my 066 or 661 but not bad. I was able to feel the vibes discussed here. Brand new chain and the chatter at times was quite annoying. And yup, the suspension is the culprit…easy to feel. Funny, I didn’t notice it with a comp 24” chain but that was in soft Poplar.

Now for the big issue…
the saw runs and cuts great. Shut it off for a while and it was a complete pita to get started again.
The only way I could get it to restart was to pump the bulb around 4 times, two to three pulls, let it idle for a while and then try throttle. Repeat that 2-4 times on average to continue working. This is nuts. If I didn’t let it idle it would die as soon as I hit the trigger and the pump process would have to be repeated. continuous pulls of the cord were pointless…no bueno…

WTF?
What was the temp there when it occurred?

It is with the Mtronic saws. If you shut it off right when you finish the last cut the computer has the fuel/air ratio too rich (it thinks it's still running) and then the saw gets too much fuel when you try to start it. Since the FI saws sense the engine performance the same way I suspect they have the same issue, but I do no own one to test it. It's easy enough to try yourself.

I'm used to shutting down ASAP after the last cut so I have had to retrain myself to let it idle 10 seconds. It's probably better for the saw anyhow but it's been a bit of a challenge to do it consistently.

When I forget I can start the saw with the throttle WFO.

It is with the Mtronic saws. If you shut it off right when you finish the last cut the computer has the fuel/air ratio too rich (it thinks it's still running) and then the saw gets too much fuel when you try to start it. Since the FI saws sense the engine performance the same way I suspect they have the same issue, but I do no own one to test it. It's easy enough to try yourself.
used to shutting down ASAP after the last cut so I have had to retrain myself to let it idle 10 seconds. It's probably better for the saw anyhow but it's been a bit of a challenge to do it consistently.

When I forget I can start the saw with the throttle WFO.
Wellll...I have several mtronic stihl saws and don't have this issue with them...never have.
I'm guessing this is only an "i" issue.

Yea each M-tronic saws reads the last set of parameters differently depending on the load and temperature etc. The more you are into the cut and loading over time then shutting it down will confuses the restart. Saw too hot then you can have some vaporing off of fuel in the cylinder that adds to the issue.

Next time give it 15 to 30 seconds and see if that improves restarting, nothing to loose but if you have good results then......

Yea each M-tronic saws reads the last set of parameters differently depending on the load and temperature etc. The more you are into the cut and loading over time then shutting it down will confuses the restart. Saw too hot then you can have some vaporing off of fuel in the cylinder that adds to the issue.

Next time give it 15 to 30 seconds and see if that improves restarting, nothing to loose but if you have good results then......
Again...none of the other Mtronics I have do this or have ever done this evwn under constant use and heavy loading in big wood...only the 500i

Imo this a glitch in the programing that Stihl needs to fix.

Again...none of the other Mtronics I have do this or have ever done this evwn under constant use and heavy loading in big wood...only the 500i

Nope..no glitch…it’s really a simple thing..perhaps the saw is just too much for you…

Now for the big issue…

WTF?

Similar problems with my 500i also. The 32" B&C does compound the problems. I verified this when I switch over to the 24 B&C -- it ran long and hard with the 24. I mean really impressive. But with the 32, the saw runs hotter, chatters in the cut, and can be a PITA to start when hot. I use the saw a bit differently now and the problems have for the most part gone away. I rev the saw to re-oil the B&C between cuts, and I don't apply a lot of leverage on a big cut. It is not ideal, but it is a mechanical device.

PVH knows what he is talking about. I'm pretty sure it was him that got me to let it idle a bit with my 261, my first M-Tronic saw. I was about ready to take the 261 back to the shop. I started to let it idle before shutting it off, and have never had another problem with the saw.

Wellll...I have several mtronic stihl saws and don't have this issue with them...never have.
I'm guessing this is only an "i" issue.

It's definitely an issue with some Mtronic saws. My MS362CM does it. I see other people posting about the same problem, so it's not just me or my saw. Maybe your normal work flow idles the saws enough to make it a non issue.

Similar problems with my 500i also. The 32" B&C does compound the problems. I verified this when I switch over to the 24 B&C -- it ran long and hard with the 24. I mean really impressive. But with the 32, the saw runs hotter, chatters in the cut, and can be a PITA to start when hot. I use the saw a bit differently now and the problems have for the most part gone away. I rev the saw to re-oil the B&C between cuts, and I don't apply a lot of leverage on a big cut. It is not ideal, but it is a mechanical device.
Exactly my experience. No issues with the 24” in soft wood. 36” in Maple and same thing…chatter and hard restart.

PVH knows what he is talking about. I'm pretty sure it was him that got me to let it idle a bit with my 261, my first M-Tronic saw. I was about ready to take the 261 back to the shop. I started to let it idle before shutting it off, and have never had another problem with the saw.
Perhaps the early mtronics were not problematic? I have one of the first 661s and have never had an issue. I didn’t use the 261 enough before selling it to form an opinion.

I’ll try the idle thing next time out.

Back