Stihl 500i First Impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought the 500i, you need to take care that the air filter is pushed securely on, there is a foam washer where the rod for securing the air cleaner cover goes through. it is the only place I can see for any fines getting past the filter, I have read on other sites where they placed two washers/gaskets on top of each other to seal this area. I would like to know what you think of this, I have only put 3 tanks of fuel through mine and to date nothing getting past the filter.

No. What you said is wrong. What you do, is put the filter on, firmly NO. The cover will push the filter into place and by the cover doing the work, it will push up against the foam washer making for a good seal.

If you push the filter in "firmly" then the cover might not reach in far enough to seal sufficiently with the foam o'ring.

Does this make sense? I've posted this before, yet nobody seems to get it.

But then again, what do I know? Everybody here is an expert/pro, and I just cut firewood for myself and neighbors.

No. What you said is wrong. What you do, is put the filter on, firmly NO. The cover will push the filter into place and by the cover doing the work, it will push up against the foam washer making for a good seal.

If you push the filter in "firmly" then the cover might not reach in far enough to seal sufficiently with the foam filter.

Does this make sense? I've posted this before, yet nobody seems to get it.

But then again, what do I know? Everybody here is an expert/pro, and I just cut firewood for myself and neighbors.
I don’t follow Montana, your contradicting yourself.
Are you saying not to use two washers?
To push the cover on firmly or not?

The 500 filter seals on the inside flange that sticks out from the throttle body moreso than against the back of the filter. The cover pressure is needed to seal off the hole in the back for the 1/4 turn lock. Over time the cover lock gets loose and needs some help from a foam washer to seal it back up

Montana and Huskihl. The saw I just bought, the guy doubled up on the foam washer. Are you both saying this is NOT the way to go?View attachment 1043764

Again do as you like. Why are you so fixated on the number of foam washers. Personally the debris getting past the 500i's filter is a myth blown out of proportion. I've told you how to properly mount the filter with the cover, and anything you want to do afterwards is your choice. Tell you what. Get a coin. Heads two foam washers, tails just 1. Happy?

BTW, it was SamT1 that started the Mega Epic "Stihl should be ashamed of themselves" thread, what is now up to 10's of thousands or millions of replys, and is threatening to collapse the internet with the number of comments. But if you are not following along closely, SamT1 shared a picture of some sheet metal he was cutting with this chainsaw. So there is that to gauge any credibility of his historic thread.

Again do as you like. Why are you so fixated on the number of foam washers. Personally the debris getting past the 500i's filter is a myth blown out of proportion. I've told you how to properly mount the filter with the cover, and anything you want to do afterwards is your choice. Tell you what. Get a coin. Heads two foam washers, tails just 1. Happy?

BTW, it was SamT1 that started the Mega Epic "Stihl should be ashamed of themselves" thread, what is now up to 10's of thousands or millions of replys, and is threatening to collapse the internet with the number of comments. But if you are not following along closely, SamT1 shared a picture of some sheet metal he was cutting with this chainsaw. So there is that to gauge any credibility of his historic thread.
You don’t have enough hours on yours yet for the cover to come loose. On many of them that are used every day, the air filter cover actually gets floppy and the nut won’t even stay locked.

Montana and Huskihl. The saw I just bought, the guy doubled up on the foam washer. Are you both saying this is NOT the way to go?View attachment 1043764
I’m not certain whether I would add the extra washer before it’s actually needed or not. If you notice fines that might be coming through the lock hole on the filter, then I might try it. But they fit pretty snug when they are new. 2 washers that haven’t been smooshed out might cause premature wear in the lock knob. But like I said though, I’ve never put 2 new ones on there, only when one was worn out. It may work fine for you, idk.

That’s a better response, thank you Huskihl.

Now Mr. Montana, if you’ve read any of my posts on these saws you’d know that I have absolutely no problems with the two I currently own.
I was simply putting it out there what some guy had done this to my now 3rd 500i.

There are no fines getting past the filter on mine, at all. It is certainly a “myth blown out of proportion “ from where I sit. Think of this. I work on OLD saws where the intake track is coated (in places) with “fines”. Saw has been ingesting them for years, decades even. Guess what,?still runs. And I am always amazed at the carbon, rust from old mufflers, pieces of wood and other crap that can be shaken out a a cylinder, a little mix injected and now it runs too!
I would suggest that when the foam washer wears out, and the top becomes loose, replace the washer. That would be maintenance. Not modification and it will probably be just fine. No pun intended.

You don’t have enough hours on yours yet for the cover to come loose. On many of them that are used every day, the air filter cover actually gets floppy and the nut won’t even stay locked.
Doesn't even take that many hours for the filter to start letting fines in. I noticed it pretty early on with mine, I put a Max-flow on it, and didn't have that issue again. Once I did a tear down on the saw, even the small amount of time that it was letting debris in, was evident on the intake side of the piston.

There are no fines getting past the filter on mine, at all. It is certainly a “myth blown out of proportion “ from where I sit. Think of this. I work on OLD saws where the intake track is coated (in places) with “fines”. Saw has been ingesting them for years, decades even. Guess what,?still runs. And I am always amazed at the carbon, rust from old mufflers, pieces of wood and other crap that can be shaken out a a cylinder, a little mix injected and now it runs too!
I would suggest that when the foam washer wears out, and the top becomes loose, replace the washer. That would be maintenance. Not modification and it will probably be just fine. No pun intended.

I prefer that my new, $1500 chainsaw doesn't eat dust, but it's a free country...so yours can live on a diet of wood pulp. 👍

Good common sense.

Crying about the possibility of a tiny spec of dust, destroying an internal combustion engine is like a baby crying about a small sliver.

1672072722185.png

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I think this is constructive feedback. Putting a second foam washer on the knob and some silicon grease on the bottom lip of the air filter stopped the fines passing through for me. That was 3 years ago, and over a thousand tanks of fuel later, it's still clean on the butterfly and down the throat of the intake. Worth it imo for how cheap these foam washers are compared to any other mod.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I think this is constructive feedback. Putting a second foam washer on the knob and some silicon grease on the bottom lip of the air filter stopped the fines passing through for me. That was 3 years ago, and over a thousand tanks of fuel later, it's still clean on the butterfly and down the throat of the intake. Worth it imo for how cheap these foam washers are compared to any other mod.
Rubber grommet works to ,

Back