Stihl 500i Hard Start Cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So for what it's worth:

My 500I this morning, no " primer / purge pumps ", started in 3 pulls. Didn't stall, accelerated after warming up etc. So, I'm thinking, at least in my application, no need to pump unless I run the tank dry.

In looking back to earlier this week when I had hard starting problems, after 8 + pumps, several days......after it started, stalled,started about 6 times, then ran, exhaust smoke was similar to a flooded engine. In going forward, no more "prime/purge" pumps for this saw.

Maybe Stihls preferred starting procedure doesn't apply to my saw?

So for what it's worth:

My 500I this morning, no " primer / purge pumps ", started in 3 pulls. Didn't stall, accelerated after warming up etc. So, I'm thinking, at least in my application, no need to pump unless I run the tank dry.

In looking back to earlier this week when I had hard starting problems, after 8 + pumps, several days......after it started, stalled,started about 6 times, then ran, exhaust smoke was similar to a flooded engine. In going forward, no more "prime/purge" pumps for this saw.

Maybe Stihls preferred starting procedure doesn't apply to my saw?

Today's understatement --> The 500i is not like other saws.

You'll figure it out. I had to quarter some logs as they were to heavy to deal with at the splitter, and fired up the 500i for the first time in several months. It has become 2nd nature to me. It sure didn't start out that way.

Today's understatement --> The 500i is not like other saws.

You'll figure it out. I had to quarter some logs as they were to heavy to deal with at the splitter, and fired up the 500i for the first time in several months. It has become 2nd nature to me. It sure didn't start out that way.
How did it start after a several month "vacation"? Did you pump it, and did it stall often until it woke up?

How did it start after a several month "vacation"? Did you pump it, and did it stall often until it woke up?

Primer bulb pressed 8 times. That's pretty much a must do when cold. No way around that (for me and mine).
5 rope pulls, ran for a 1/4 second (decompression hadn't popped out after the brief run), another pull, I let idle for a minute or so, and I was cutting.

3EBFCEEB-2153-4D4F-B62C-29083441B40A.jpeg
I have twins, never had much of an issue when starting. Initial start I prime 8 or so, slight pull to tdc and then pull it over and it starts every time. I will also hit the purge a couple times when shutting the saw down when it’s hot to put a bit of cooler fuel through that seems to help a bit too. If your going from a little 361 to this saw you’ve made a huge jump in saw and technology so it may take you a bit to figure it out, it’s not the saw.

I had to replace the clutch on my ms251c, I used a piece of rope to stop the piston, and wound up taking the engine apart to get it out-never doin that again- it was a piece of nylon rope, and it got stuck real good. I had to take apart the engine and use a torch to melt it and free up the piston. I guess cotton rope is the thing to use, or the correct tool, a piston stop. Well now it wont run, I cant get any adjustment from the carb, I rebuilt it with no luck. I replaced it, no luck, now my coil wont fire, I replaced it. It'll run, but races then stalls, I found that the cover on the right side of the engine fell off, wtf!!???. what a **** design! turns out its cemented on, and Stihl says it cant be fixed. I must have walked under a ladder or broke a mirror or something, I think someone has a voodoo doll of me and is fukn with it, lol.

I had to replace the clutch on my ms251c, I used a piece of rope to stop the piston, and wound up taking the engine apart to get it out-never doin that again- it was a piece of nylon rope, and it got stuck real good. I had to take apart the engine and use a torch to melt it and free up the piston. I guess cotton rope is the thing to use, or the correct tool, a piston stop. Well now it wont run, I cant get any adjustment from the carb, I rebuilt it with no luck. I replaced it, no luck, now my coil wont fire, I replaced it. It'll run, but races then stalls, I found that the cover on the right side of the engine fell off, wtf!!???. what a **** design! turns out its cemented on, and Stihl says it cant be fixed. I must have walked under a ladder or broke a mirror or something, I think someone has a voodoo doll of me and is fukn with it, lol.
Rope works fine if you raise the piston above the exhaust port.

That's the same as my MS 441c M-tronic -- pull about 8 times when cold. Eventually it starts but it never lets you know if it's getting close. Its technology is six years older then the 500i, but nowadays we have to realize that "it is what it is".
Ms661c has been ez starter almost every time since it broke in. Pull or 2 for it to adjust internally to temp, next is idle short time after wot blip for moment to reset stuff inside that is above my pay grade.
Far different from 046 or ms460 starting etc.

Latest posts

Back