Stihl 500i Wood Chips Discharge When Felling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlsawuserMS361

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to my Stihl 500i chainsaw, and the jury is still out with its performance and quirks. (I have a MS361 also, and I know they are two different animals) My question to all is the wood chip discharge when felling trees, notably trees with the diameter in excess of 20". It's overwhelming to the point of being obnoxious. Like taking a shower in the discharge chips. (Bucking is fine, usually I can sidestep this.) Anyone else experiencing the same? Other than replacing the chain cover with a West Coast offering, has anyone modified their OEM cover / chip deflector? Any suggestions guys? Thanks to all!

I'm relatively new to my Stihl 500i chainsaw, and the jury is still out with its performance and quirks. (I have a MS361 also, and I know they are two different animals) My question to all is the wood chip discharge when felling trees, notably trees with the diameter in excess of 20". It's overwhelming to the point of being obnoxious. Like taking a shower in the discharge chips. (Bucking is fine, usually I can sidestep this.) Anyone else experiencing the same? Other than replacing the chain cover with a West Coast offering, has anyone modified their OEM cover / chip deflector? Any suggestions guys? Thanks to all!
I tried cutting up the hd-style 440/460/660 clutch cover but ended up with the WCS cover.

I recommend it and the max flow.
20221017_174424.jpg

500i is so ******* it needs all the help it can get who cares if the wcs cover flows chips better

I was hoping to fabricate something to the existing cover rather than the expense of buying an aftermarket cover. The saw was expensive enough without that added cost.
I saw Walker's modification, hoping to make something less invasive or add on to the existing rubber deflector. I'll stop in my local dealer and see if he has a replacement deflector that I could modify.
I know it's a performance saw, but this makes me wonder if any of the engineers @ Stihl ever actually used this saw or put any R & D before sending it to production.

Surprisingly, this year I had to only drop 1 tree and I used the 500i. I'll have to pay attention next year, cause I don't recall there being anything unusual with the chip discharge, and it was a good size tree, using the entire length of the 32 B&C.

Not trying harp on ya Montana.... I just had too... Great movie also.

Plus, yer doing better than me... all I have cut up this year is limbs! :cry:
Dropping trees is always with some anxiety. The forest is tight and escape routes are not always available. Hence I cut early, as soon as the snow melts, and before anybody else gets after the winter storm blown down trees. Lots of them this year. The one I dropped was dead standing, and for a neighbor. Like so much of the dead standing it has a degree of rot. Anymore it's just not worth the trouble and then find that it is substandard.

Montanna, you've helped me prior, what's your take on this?
I'm no pro on dropping trees in a congested area. The ash I'm speaking of are plentiful and in close proximity to each other in my wood lot, with many over 100' tall. On recommendation from a master forester from Cornell, I'm dropping these "while still green". Seeing these are just for firewood, I've been cutting them about 40" up from ground level for my safety / escape routes. I'm not afraid of getting dirty, just trying not to end up being covered, shirts and jacket pockets full of chips. I'm thinking of somehow just a deflector to aim them straight down without restricting the discharge. Seeing there are aftermarket side covers and Walker's modifications, others must be in the same boat.

Montanna, you've helped me prior, what's your take on this?
I'm no pro on dropping trees in a congested area. The ash I'm speaking of are plentiful and in close proximity to each other in my wood lot, with many over 100' tall. On recommendation from a master forester from Cornell, I'm dropping these "while still green". Seeing these are just for firewood, I've been cutting them about 40" up from ground level for my safety / escape routes. I'm not afraid of getting dirty, just trying not to end up being covered, shirts and jacket pockets full of chips. I'm thinking of somehow just a deflector to aim them straight down without restricting the discharge. Seeing there are aftermarket side covers and Walker's modifications, others must be in the same boat.
Honestly I don't know. Years back I use to drop a lot of trees with my 461 and I do recall a chip mess but most!y lower down. My socks would be covered and my boots filled with chips. I purchased some leg straps that I would use to cover my pants around the top of boots, essentially blocking access to my socks. I could shake my pants off and my socks and the top of my boots would be clean. That was my solution, but what you're describing sounds far worse.

And if that wasn't enough I was going to try leg gaiters, but that proved unnecessary. But they are great for hunting in tall wet grass keeping my pants and me dry.

1666532536845.png

1666531310845.png

Attachments

• 1666529549249.png
    1666529549249.png
    732.7 KB · Views: 2
Thanks Montana.
I've used gaiters with my 361, pain sometimes to put on etc., but they do help in keeping chips and ticks away. Now I've gone to tall boots, tying the tops with Velcro, which the pants cover so that keeps my socks clear. I have a couple of ideas on a diverter shield of sorts to keep my torso from being covered. Even when I'm in the cut or notching, it's just the distracting blast from waist up that is annoying. Then of course if it's windy... I'm thinking switching from Carharts to maybe a nylon windbreaker and zipping the pockets closed. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast so to speak.
P/S...Can you recommend a decent felling wedge?
Thanks

P/S...Can you recommend a decent felling wedge?
Thanks

Just get a couple of each size, is all I know. I've had to push trees that were going the wrong way, so even a splitting wedge is nice to have. Them is when you have to strike it 30+ times and it will hold up.

Yeah, those 80, 90, 100 foot tall trees can be hard to gauge on which direction they "want" to fall. Can be a bit scary when your escape route becomes the trees preferred spot to fall.

You guys cutting in sandals and shorts .
I wear Franks loggers long pants. On rare accassions I do get chips n dirt in my waist Band that make it to my feet.

Or pants with holes, tend to get holes in right pant leg from knee up.

Latest posts

Back