• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 660 running project saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest that you request not replying to any PM, and just invite Arbor1 into that conversation, if you think it would qualify as harassment. Do make sure that you remain polite, even in private conversations.

Keep it short. The administrator of this website has LOTS to read and do, so wasting time with long posts isn't exactly the best approach.

I would suggest that you request not replying to any PM, and just invite Arbor1 into that conversation, if you think it would qualify as harassment. Do make sure that you remain polite, even in private conversations.

Keep it short. The administrator of this website has LOTS to read and do, so wasting time with long posts isn't exactly the best approach.
I tend to be short and concise when needed and I was polite. As for Angie I will contact her after the holiday to address other issues that need addressed but can wait a bit

I want to be clear I am not a TIG welder so it is impossible for me to tell another man what he can or cannot do. I believe it could be welded but that is just my belief and not based on anything but seeing what other folks have been able to do. I have not measured the cracks but I am hoping the additional pictures will give you a better reference.
Thanks for the pictures. That clears up my questions.

As I said I am not a TIG welder at all. I leave that up to those who know. In 1979 I watched my neighbor weld the entire rear corner of an aluminum jon boat back on. It was the entire corner all the way from a foot into the stern around the corner and a foot up the starboard. My father forgot where he put the boat (brand new that fall) and hit it with the dozer while pushing snow. The neighbor welded it up and to this day it does not leak. Of course that was aluminum and magnesium welds differently. The neighbor did this with a Lincoln mailbox (not tombstone) and a Airco high frequency adapter. I have a aluminum housing here off a Farmhand corn sheller that a friend welded with an arc welder. Lot's of things are possible with the right skill set.

Well I have reported his/her posts so it is in moderators hands now. I trust that they will address the issue and it will be resolved.

On a side note get ready for the cold weather we are sending you in a few days. It never got above zero here Friday. We had sustained high wind all day and it is still blowing.

We got weird winter weather. Snow on ground, then ~50 oF warm rain, backside to ~oF and 6" new snow.

I'd fill it with JB weld (or similar), then install a time sert. They hold really well, and are considerablly less risk and expense than Tig welding that hole full. But then again, I only fix my own saws, and I never sell them until they are beyond all hope.

I was going to call Henkel Thursday but they close at 3PM. They were closed Friday for the holiday and will be on Monday also. I figure they might have a suggestion or two.

I will say looking at this saw could not have came at a better time. On Christmas night my brother, nephew, my son and I will all be together. I have asked all them what happened with the saw independently but got varied stories. It will be interesting to see what they say when they are all together and the pictures are clear......I am sure we will have a good laugh :)

I will say looking at this saw could not have came at a better time. On Christmas night my brother, nephew, my son and I will all be together. I have asked all them what happened with the saw independently but got varied stories. It will be interesting to see what they say when they are all together and the pictures are clear......I am sure we will have a good laugh :)
Long bars put a lot of twist on those studs and cracks like you have are often the result. Not saying that is what happened here but I have seen similiar damage along with damage resulting from trying to lever out a pinched bar.

Long bars put a lot of twist on those studs and cracks like you have are often the result. Not saying that is what happened here but I have seen similiar damage along with damage resulting from trying to lever out a pinched bar.
Well I agree fully. :) We do not use long bars here. This saw had a 24'' on it and 24'' is the standard in the area. The guys cutting with my brother run 395's with 24" and some guys run 880's with 24" In looking at the bar tip when this saw came back along with the stud damage it is obvious they pinched it hard and tried to "wrench" it out instead of using another saw. I really cannot say as I was not there. All I can say is the saw is now here and is a project.

when I was refurbing my SP70 I looked into welding a damaged cast magnesium part. after doing a lot of reading and talking to several welders that do tig I realized it was cheaper to buy a new part. apparently, there are different mag alloys and the filler rod needs to match the alloy you have. also, the mag filler rod is very expensive.

I had Shaun Carr weld an MS441 case for me , and McCulloch cylinder. He said the cylinder was awful but he did a nice job on both.
Case halves for that saw are cheap in the aftermarket, my 066 round top has one.
Yes it can be fixed pretty reasonably. I guess many folks that say they want a project saw actually do not they are just talking. It is funny how that works but to each their own. It is fine. I give it bit more then just fix it and run it again.

@Pio
Well I have reported his/her posts so it is in moderators hands now. I trust that they will address the issue and it will be resolved.

On a side note get ready for the cold weather we are sending you in a few days. It never got above zero here Friday. We had sustained high wind all day and it is still blowing.
@pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back