Stihl Bar and Chain Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber_B

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought an MS 661cm with a 36" bar chain combo. I also asked the dealer for a 25" bar and chain combo. When I spin the chain around the 25" bar, I feel a "clicking" "sticking" kind of feel. I've been looking online and can't find confirmation on this set. The say has a 7-pin sprocket.

The 25" combo they gave me is:
Bar 3003 000 8830 XJ .050
Chain Box says 24in RS 3/8P .050 84

Thanks for any Help

Attachments

• Bar Chain.jpg
    Bar Chain.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Here's the sprocket. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220917_145118.jpg
    20220917_145118.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Hi,
I recently bought an MS 661cm with a 36" bar chain combo. I also asked the dealer for a 25" bar and chain combo. When I spin the chain around the 25" bar, I feel a "clicking" "sticking" kind of feel. I've been looking online and can't find confirmation on this set. The say has a 7-pin sprocket.

The 25" combo they gave me is:
Bar 3003 000 8830 XJ .050
Chain Box says 24in RS 3/8P .050 84

Thanks for any Help

You probably just need to run it, and let it wear in a bit. I've had bar/chain combos that felt wrong, but pressed ahead, and after a few cuts all symptoms were gone.

Here's the sprocket. Thanks
You've got the rim with high divider between the slots or high pins. They tend to be noisy when new. Oregon power rim has a relief cut there in the rim to drag less on the drivers.
Some do some don't no worries.
Oregon power rim also has witness marks for wear.

Thanks for the replies. The dealer made a few comments about the saw that was out of leftfield, and it made me think he might be a new hire. Maybe, I'm just being paranoid.?
All of the parts are brand new. I took the 36" off and put on the 25" without even starting it yet.

Thanks for the replies. The dealer made a few comments about the saw that was out of leftfield, and it made me think he might be a new hire. Maybe, I'm just being paranoid.?
All of the parts are brand new. I took the 36" off and put on the 25" without even starting it yet.
Your not wrong. My mill does that ****.
Drags and binds on some new rims.

The chain must be tight!

I put the 36" back on, and it is pretty smooth. I'll go start it up. I purchased a Granberg mill for it. Should be here in a week or so! Thanks for the replies;)

What ever happened with the 25” bar? I’m having a similar issue. Looking to buy a 362 cm and put a yellow bar and chain on it. It comes with green bar. When I put a yellow bar and chain on it, it never seems like it fits right. If I really work at it, I can line it up. Then when I try to turn it, the chain binds up and sprocket eventually makes loud click and starts turning. Dealer has no idea what they’re doing/no idea what to tell me???

Sorry haven't posted in a while. I haven't used the 36" yet. Bought a ripping chain and still waiting on parts for the mill. I put the 25 on, it felt like it hung a bit as I moved it by hand around the bar. I went ahead and used it, and it no longer feels that way. Maybe it was a burr in the entryway of the bar?

Got a Tecomec grinder, breaker, and spinner. I want to learn to do as much as I can as far as maintenance goes.

Sorry haven't posted in a while. I haven't used the 36" yet. Bought a ripping chain and still waiting on parts for the mill. I put the 25 on, it felt like it hung a bit as I moved it by hand around the bar. I went ahead and used it, and it no longer feels that way. Maybe it was a burr in the entryway of the bar?

Got a Tecomec grinder, breaker, and spinner. I want to learn to do as much as I can as far as maintenance goes.

Lots and lots of parts in a chain. Just a small, impossible to see or measure, out of spec driver can foul up a chain/bar combo. I analyze my 32" B&C set up for my 500i and for the life of me could not find anything wrong. I put a 25" B&C combo on it and it ran great, which confirm to me that it was the Bar or Chain, or both. I tossed the chain, and everything thing is good.

I bought a spinner years ago, and only this year really put it to use. IMO, it can pay for itself very quickly. I'd like to get a breaker, but just can't quite justify it yet. Grinder and cutting wheel does it, not great, but okay. For now, at least.

Back