stihl bar mount in .058 gauge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONSSTIHL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
anyone know where a d025 mount for a stihl ms261 can be found in 3/8 pitch .058 gauge. i have a whole roll of stihl chain in .058 gauge and thinking of adding a ms261 to my roster.

Don’t think I have seen a Stihl run .058 3/8 useally their either .050 or .063 would need to find a bar mount that is close and fit it.

The only place that may have/make a Stihl 058 bar would be cannon bar works in bc. But would be $$

Another option if you are just trying to use up the chain would be a cheap .063 bar and use the .058 on it not perfect but would work. I’d just get a husky and use it on that.

You might sell/trade the .o58 for what you want. You and the other side can have a "HAGGLING" Party over details and shipping. what size roll do you have that would justify the cost of a new hard to find bar ?
they make adapters to fit Stihl on Husky but I believe you need to grind a bit off of rhe stud collars to go from Husky to Stihl and the Oil port will need addressed. When you want to go back to Stihl mount You may need new bar studs.
Edit: I just read your line up of saws. If you are staying with Jonsered/Husky You may not ever put a .063 chain on it. And to beat other Brand Biased comments You may Like the Stihls better (You have nice saws so I doubt it)and sell off them Jonsereds.

I have enough 3/8 .058 to last me the next couple decades so I’ve also given this some thought. Probably the cheapest solution would be to find someone with a well worn .050 bar that can fit the.058 and then dressing and putting a fresh nose on bar. I only have one Stihl so I’m not too worried but if the option came up I’d try a used bar if it was straight.

I have a 100 ft reel with maybe 8 chains made off of it. I may look long and hard at the 550xp but that dam straight handle bar makes me hesitate every time. plus the red and black just looks nicer.

so far two dealers and haven't found a 261 that I can hold in my hands. trying a third dealer tonight.

I wonder how much of a difference the .005" makes between .058 and .063. either way I think .063 gauge is rare up here so I may not even be able to get a .063 bar. plus in theory it is a little heavier and i am trying to stay as light as possible since this is the small saw in a two saw plan.

.063 .325 very rare here in Canada.
can look at red max gz5000 (the new Jonny saws rebranded)

Just found out about redmax today at the Stihl dealer. Worried it is the equivalent of the mk 1 550 that had problems.

It's not hard to find .050 gauge bars with enough wear that will accept. 058 just make sure its not snug through any part of the bar or the friction would over heat it. Oregon bars seem to reach the point of usability with .058 faster then stihl bars but I have used both that way. Have an old Windsor went from .058 to 063 rather quick also. Replace the sprocket tip and square the rails if needed and pretty near good as new.
Or Mark the top and bottom of the shoulder of the bar studs and grind the portion off that interferes with an 009 Husqvarna mount. I never had a problem with oil mount holes on 009 mount to the Stihl mount. If you want to reuse the studs back to the Stihl mount use washers and schim the sides that wasn't ground to top and bottom and it will fit the Stihl mount again.
Or have .058 009 mount bars slot machined to the same size of the Stihl mount. I had that done to several . I think all took 1 less link then the original stihl mount but shouldn't be a problem joining your own chains.

A detailed and BEST ANSWER. You already have the Husky/Jonsered Bars and chain.

Or Mark the top and bottom of the shoulder of the bar studs and grind the portion off that interferes with an 009 Husqvarna mount. I never had a problem with oil mount holes on 009 mount to the Stihl mount. If you want to reuse the studs back to the Stihl mount use washers and schim the sides that wasn't ground to top and bottom and it will fit the Stihl mount again.

anyone know where a d025 mount for a stihl ms261 can be found in 3/8 pitch .058 gauge. i have a whole roll of stihl chain in .058 gauge and thinking of adding a ms261 to my roster.
How many are you after ? I have some GB Pro Top here 20" 3/8x.058

Attachments

• DSCN0831.JPG
    DSCN0831.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
I was hoping for a 16" my 20" bar is on the 2172. 16" is nice and balanced for the size of the saw. The shipping from australia would be $$$ but thanks for the offer. So the small mount husky and stihl 3003 mount can be modified to fit. That is interesting. I do have an old .063 gauge bar for my old 025 i don't use anymore. maybe I should use that one and put a 3/8 tip on it instead of a .325

I was hoping for a 16" my 20" bar is on the 2172. 16" is nice and balanced for the size of the saw. The shipping from australia would be $$$ but thanks for the offer. So the small mount husky and stihl 3003 mount can be modified to fit. That is interesting. I do have an old .063 gauge bar for my old 025 i don't use anymore. maybe I should use that one and put a 3/8 tip on it instead of a .325
025 uses a different mount than a 261. They are "E" bars. Sorry...

Back