Stihl Chain Pitch and Gauge - Pros/Cons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STIHL, Oregon, etc. are big enough to spec the steel they order: can always be rolled to a different thickness.

Plus, that does not explain why they mate .325 pitch with .063 gauge drive links and 3/8 pitch with 0.050 - especially when they swage the thicker drive links down to make the 0.050 gauge.

Philbert
I once saw a picture/diagram of Stihl chain. I am certain you posted it (I have been wrong before) it showed how and where the swage reduced the drive links from .063" to .050"

This stuff changes all the time. It used to be that ‘most’ of their drive links were 0.063 inches at the top, then swaged down to different gauges at the bottom, where they meet the groove of the guide bar.

This probably does not apply to their ‘Picco’ and newer, narrow kerf chains. A caliper or micrometer can be your friend.

Philbert

This stuff changes all the time. It used to be that ‘most’ of their drive links were 0.063 inches at the top, then swaged down to different gauges at the bottom, where they meet the groove of the guide bar.

This probably does not apply to their ‘Picco’ and newer, narrow kerf chains. A caliper or micrometer can be your friend.

Philbert
I interpret this as "Stihl is addressing the power required to pull the wider kerf". I was assuming the kerf on a 3/8" chain. Not acknowledging other pitches or new chain on the market. My ONEYE is OPEN now. Thanks

Back