Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7Oaks,

I agree with the previouis advice. You really need to watch the temp of you are missing the covers. They do help direct the air flow from the fanwheel and cool the engine.

It is too da'' cold to dig the saws out for a new picture so I will attach an old one. You will have to excuse the two 090G saws in the left corner. My favorite Lighting in the mix is the one with the metal cover. It is a bit harder to get.

Bill

You will have to excuse the two 090G saws in the left corner.
Bill

Bill, there's no excuse for that. You need to follow our countries new leader and share the wealth. I'm sure you have my address some where. I promise to make you proud with a complete going over. I'll even "share" everything I learn right here:cheers: :clap: . BTW, nice colloection you have there. I'm just jealous!

Here's the air filter set up on all my contra's. It's consisting of a bottom and top mesh hold together by a ring.

I added also a pic of the metallic shroud that covers the cyllinder. It has two rubbers on top to tension the plastic top cover.

airfiltersmall.jpg

airfiltermeshsmall.jpg

shroudsmall.jpg

Anyone need a new piston for their Contra? The seller says these are OEM Sihl pistons. Quite a steal at $25 + shipping. LINK. I bought one just in case mine needs one when it gets here. I'll likely throw it in there whether it looks bad or not.

Anyone know if you can get a fuel tank gasket PN 1106 359 1110? How about crank seals PN 1106 036 9000? I found the crankcase, cylinder, and oil tank gaskets on eBay. A couple of the others are simple enough to make. I'd like to find these parts mentioned above though.

Last edited:
Anyone need a new piston for their Contra? The seller says these are OEM Sihl pistons. Quite a steal at $25 + shipping. LINK. I bought one just in case mine needs one when it gets here. I'll likely throw it in there whether it looks bad or not.

Brad...Thanks for the heads up. Since mine has low compression I went ahead and ordered one also. Thanks for "Sharing". :clap:

...Carl

Here's the air filter set up on all my contra's. It's consisting of a bottom and top mesh hold together by a ring.

I added also a pic of the metallic shroud that covers the cyllinder. It has two rubbers on top to tension the plastic top cover.

airfiltersmall.jpg

airfiltermeshsmall.jpg

shroudsmall.jpg

Yes that is the air filter I have seen in other pics. Way different from mine. I wont have access to my saw until we head out to the WV farm next weekend but I'll take some more pics of the air filter then. Your filter would seem to have a much more restrictive air flow and would get the air from the top whereas mine gets the air from below. Interesting change in engineering there.

The sheet metal cover is interesting and would seem to impede air flow. Do all your contras have it?

That is the "newer" starter shroud isn't it? It seems the older ones have the roller bracket for the starter rope.

Nice looking saw. Hardly looks used...

Cheers...Carl

That shroud focuses the air from the flywheel fan over the cylinder cooling fins. Without it you won't get proper cylinder cooling and may cook a P&C. It's a bad idea to run any saw without the engine shroud/cover.

welcome

New kid on the block here, just wanted to say I've got my Dad's Contra that he bought new. I've used it extensively, although it's been a few years. I did some select cut harvesting using the old sow to both fell & buck. I also have what he considered his limbing saw (Stihl), how do I determine its model & age?

Stephen...Welcome to AS I'm sure you will really enjoy it and most importantly learn a lot. Just watch out! CAD is contagious and there are a lot of evil carriers lurking on this site.

Post a pic of your Contra. Are you still using it?

...Carl

Anyone know?

The gaskets are the same. Bryce just has either the wrong PN or an older PN on the auction. So far I've found all of the gaskets and even the crank seals to be the same. As I most always do, I'll be breaking it all the way down when I get it. I'll put it back together with new gaskets and maybe even squirt some Urethane on it while I'm at it.

Thanks for the welcome Carl. I haven't used my contra in 7-8 years. Just too easy to grab my MS310 & go to work. I'll admit this discussion has spurred my interest though. I plan to get her out tomorrow & will post pics ASAP. My dealer tries to buy her every time I take her in, but he hasn't succeeded yet.

Another one for restoration.

Bill, I promise to make you proud with a complete going over. I'll even "share" everything I learn right here:cheers: :clap: . BTW, nice colloection you have there. I'm just jealous!

.....bought this a few months ago.She runs and is complete.
Love the Contra restored pics Bill posted, in the past.

:chainsaw:

RE: the invisable chain........

Gumnuts...Love the saw but that has to be the dullest chain I've ever seen. Did you say it was complete and cuts well? LOL

...Carl

LOL ...ya got me Carl.....Had it out recently,after your thread, for a degrease.
If i ever get the time I hope to mold ,you, a new top out of resin and fibre-glass.House reno's will slow this idea up tho.
cheers
Graeme

I got the NOS piston. It is indeed a Mahle piston. This is a strange looking piston. It has unusually shaped windows only on the exhaust side, instead of two windows on both sides of the piston. Also, there are no machine marks in the skirts. It's a totally smooth finish. What's the green dot on the crown?

425218868_PEpg2-M.jpg
425218918_GAgHk-M.jpg

Latest posts

Back