Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few posts back, someone mentioned the Mahle marking on the air cleaner/intake. Here's mine if anyone is interested:

a5.jpg

And the markings on the cylinder:

a3.jpg a4.jpg

Unfortunately, it is the markings inside of the cylinder that are going to give me nightmare...

I'll post those up later.

OK...here's what I found when I pulled the cylinder:

WARNING: THESE PICTURES ARE GRAPHIC.

DO NOT SCROLL DOWN IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

b1.jpg b2.jpg b3.jpg b4.jpg

It's easy enough to pull the cylinder off on these saws...

If you don't mind working in tight spaces with a 10mm box-end wrench...

No governors on early saws. Not sure what serial number was the first with a governor.

I was pretty sure I saw a saw with an earlier serial number (<90000) that I saw with a governor while I was working my way through the thread, but I'm pretty certain that this saw never had one, and it is 92774.

If you don't mind working in tight spaces with a 10mm box-end wrench...

I was pretty sure I saw a saw with an earlier serial number (<90000) that I saw with a governor while I was working my way through the thread, but I'm pretty certain that this saw never had one, and it is 92774.

Piston has seen better days...

We do regular "deep dives" (tech discussions) on the FB group about 1106 features, but I don't think we've done one on governors yet. I know I have a few without governors, but not all of my saws are readily accessible.

Scott

One or several wrist pin bearing rollers dancing around?
Should be an easy fix, even the piston could probably be re-finished to make it a runner that's going to be retired onto a shelf.

One or several wrist pin bearing rollers dancing around?

That's what I thought...but they are all accounted for. Ring pins are there too.

I can't figure out what it was.

Breaks my heart....Mahle makes such a pretty piston.

If those marks weren't left by wrist pin bearing rollers you may have lost some in the rod bearing or one of the crank shaft bearings - those are roller bearings as well. The piston hit the cylinder top real bad so there must be some up/down play in the piston movement.
Either way no big deal - these old iron horses are easy to work on - even parts should be easy to come by...

If those marks weren't left by wrist pin bearing rollers you may have lost some in the rod bearing or one of the crank shaft bearings - those are roller bearings as well. The piston hit the cylinder top real bad so there must be some up/down play in the piston movement

There seemed to be a lot of play in the rod, but the rollers were all there on the big end. There doesn't seem to be any crank play at all.

I'll have to bust out the calipers and see what's what when I get some time.

Does anyone know what year/serial number they started using the eccentric rod journals on the crankshaft?

crank1.jpg crank2.jpg

With the info gleaned Magnus's site and from the Facebook group that I and @NewToStihl run, here's some date info for Contra's. If you have verified info, please share. Also, I hope to eventually fill this in with dates that different components appeared - different recoil, when did the governors show up, different clutch cover, which carburetor (these are dated) etc.

82017: 3 May 1959 (first Contra)

82079: 3 May 1959

83545: 20 May 1959

84832: 24 June 1959

86576: 14 August 1959 (latest production sand cast verified)

89164: 26 October 1959

93660: December 1959 (last Contra produced in 1959)

112000: 1960 (manual oiler added)

148622: October 1961

188587: February 1962

208362: November 1962

275000: December 1963

351841: May 1964

390398: June 1965

391571: June 1965

1300905: June 1967 (GS)

That crank has a lot of miles on it.

The cylinder, apart from all the pieces of piston embedded in the chamber, is in pretty good shape though.

Wish I had one of Treemonkey's mandrels so I could clean the edges...the rest I could smooth out by hand.

I think I'll make a bastardized version with PVC and emory cloth...

Many of us clean the edges with a wood chisel, even after cutting with a mandrel or shaving it in a lathe, true this.

Well...I'll be damned. That works like a charm!

A long way to go, but here's the before and after:

b4.jpg chisel.jpg

Thanks a bunch!

Well...I'll be damned. That works like a charm!

A long way to go, but here's the before and after:

View attachment 684225 View attachment 684226

Thanks a bunch!

Looking much better, the cylinder walls look like they will polish up nicely. Just pick the embedded bits out of the cylinder head, then remove any sharp protruding edges, try not to remove much material, it will reduce compression.

Back