Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has standard handle. Cast one piece muffler. Haven't taken the cylinder cover of to see if it's the largest bore.

Well how do I send pics to you? The saw looks pretty big and heavy. I wanted something smaller but this one has old art deco look.

@wildman - you sent me .heic images. Can you re-send as jpg files? I'm not able to upload .heic images here and I'm having trouble converting them on my Mac.

As for the saw, it is indeed a 1960 model Stihl Contra. However, it's very difficult to put a value on it with all of the sawdust and grime, as there may be case damage hiding underneath it. I would need to see a cleaned up saw, pictures of both sides, front, back, bottom, and top of cylinder (remove the metal cylinder shroud). I'd also need to see a compression test results and pictures of the piston (remove the muffler and take a few pics), along with verification that it has spark.

If everything check out - only normal wear/no damage, has spark, compression above 120 psi, and all original components (it does appear original so far) - I think you're looking at a $400 saw if it cleans up nicely.

With a rebuilt carb, new fuel lines, cleaned points, and running/cutting and oiling well, with good bar and chain, add a few hundred $ to the above estimate.

@NewToStihl and I started a Facebook group for these saws - if you're on FB, hop on over to https://www.facebook.com/groups/555947141452381 and join us.

Restored , like 2000.00$ right?

Let me start by saying that I'm not a huge fan of restored saws, but I have a restored one that I just finished - full powder coat, full rebuild of all mechanical components - and I wouldn't sell it for less than $2k.

I see some listed on eBay for at/above $2k, but I'm not sure of the quality and scope of the restoration.

Does anyone have any information, literature, pictures etc of a Contra G AV or Contra GS AV? I’m talking other than the “ghost saw” posted here before.

That's a great conversation to get started, I'm curious as well. I personally contest their existence as an OE setup. I've not been able to find any documented evidence (written or factory photographs) of those models. A half wrap version of the early AV setup can be fitted to a chain/gear drive but not the full wrap due to the lower connection point.

What makes the topic even a bit stickier is that older 090G booklets show (in IPL format, not photos of actual saws) an AV setup and an 090G AV was never offered. So, even if we unearthed Contra G or GS literature that shows reference to an AV setup we couldn't even really trust it as hard evidence of the model. Of course I would still love to see some documentation like that show up!

Just sharing my recent acquisition. It's not here yet but on its way. Appears to be a military issue Contra. I know it's rough but these just don't come up forsale where I live. No idea what exact model it is. You guys probably could help identify it a little better. Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221108-090743_Kijiji.jpg
    Screenshot_20221108-090743_Kijiji.jpg
    750.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221108-090751_Kijiji.jpg
    Screenshot_20221108-090751_Kijiji.jpg
    739.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221108-090756_Kijiji.jpg
    Screenshot_20221108-090756_Kijiji.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221108-090808_Kijiji.jpg
    Screenshot_20221108-090808_Kijiji.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 0
Just sharing my recent acquisition. It's not here yet but on its way. Appears to be a military issue Contra. I know it's rough but these just don't come up forsale where I live. No idea what exact model it is. You guys probably could help identify it a little better. Lol
All immediate signs point to it being a standard rigid Contra, 58mm bore, 106cc. What makes it appear to be a military saw? I assume you are referring to the green paint? If that is the case, the color is way off from the military ones that I have seen. That looks more like a rattle can job by someone over the years. A considerable amount of them were upgraded to 66mm 137cc topends, once you get it, you can easily determine that.

Did somebody here win the 1964 "1106S" 090 from e-bay recently.

To me that is a curious combination.

Just wondering what the story is.

Thanks, Larry. HOS

Did somebody here win the 1964 "1106S" 090 from e-bay recently.

To me that is a curious combination.

Just wondering what the story is.

Thanks, Larry. HOS
He’s not on here, but he’s known. I have seen a few like that. I’d assume guys toasted the topends at some point after Contras were phased out and 090s were on the market. It’s an easy swap, to convert a late Contra to an 070 or 090. I have had 4 1109S tagged saws with 090 topends. Luckily an easy change back to original as well.

Back