Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Reaction score
I'd like to start a new thread for sharing info on my newest purchase - a Stihl Contra. I've mentioned it here before when I first purchased it on eBay but want to learn much more about it and share what I learn with others. Many of you have already responded to some of my questions and I appreciate the assistance.

I know that several members also have a deep interest in this saw that is credited with starting the one-man chainsaw business.

First I need to learn how to post images to the thread so I'll start by trying to upload a recent image of me running my "new" saw. Wish me luck.

attachment.php

OKAY...It looks like this is going to work. I'll post some more pics a bit later. Do note that the Contra is gray (same as my shirt) not the newer white. If I had a cover for it it would be red and gray .:mad:

I cleaned up the saw and then with a small amount of mix in the carb it started on the third pull and would restart on the first pull everytime after that. I'm running 20:1 in it at this time. It oils well. The chain was a mess. I cleaned it up as best I could and tried to even out the teeth and sharpen them but it wasn't perfect. As you can see it did cut.

I purchased a compression tester and before I started it the first time it registered 125psi which I know is kinda low. I haven't tested it again since running it but expect it might increase after being lubed up.

It did cut okay (old dead dry hickory) but did bog down and I expect that was due to the low compression.

Cheers and enjoy...Carl

Good work Carl! These saws interest me as well, don't know much on the history of the contra myself. A friend has a pair of '08's, got those out last weekend and played with them.

More Contra photos

Okay...I think I have found out how to post pictures though it took a bit of research here. There really should be a sticky giving good details on how to post pics!

So here goes with some more:

This image shows the saw's internals. Note that it has the internal chain guide plate but it is missing the external chain guide plate. Anyone got one?

attachment.php

Here is the engine tag on my Contra. Note the last three numbers ...555. I love that.

attachment.php

This is the logo on the bar that indicates to me that this is the original bar. I have since cleaned it up and deburred it and it seems to be in good working shape - better than the chain which I do not believe is original.

attachment.php

This is the original, cleanable and reusable, air filter. I have seen pictures of other Contras with a different looking filter so don't know if this indicates it is a newer saw or older?

attachment.php

My saw arrived with no top cover (desperately seeking one) and one broken fin and another that is bent. I assume the top cover was destroyed when the fin was broken but the saw still runs without the cover. Just doesn't look as good.

attachment.php

I'm told that I have loaded the maximum five (5) files per post so I guess I'll do another post. Hope ya'll don't mind?

...Carl

Congrats!!!

Wow!! I didnt realize how big that saw is!!! Heard alot about em,,but man,,looks like a handfull!!! :clap:

One more pic

Why do I love the Contra so much? My best guess is that it is soooo Art Deco!

Look at this muffler...Ever seen anything like it on any other chainsaw?

attachment.php

And the over all appearance of the saw with its red on gray paint job and sleek lines.

It and its siblings (07, 08, 09, S10, 070 and 090) are just the most non-utilitarian (but gorgeous) looking saws out there!

Note to Bill: I expect lots in photos from you of yours and Belgian's stacks of Contra/Lightnings. :greenchainsaw:

...Carl

I'm awaiting arrival of my Contra from Alaska in the middle/end of December. Fellow AS member Nitroman is being kind enough to pick up for me when he's in Anchorage for a Dr. appointment. I've wanted one of these for some time. They seem to be a lot less common here than in Europe. You rarely see one for sale. Plus the fact that they're over 100cc and old just makes them a cool saw to me.

BTW, I wouldn't recommend running your Contra much at all without the top engine cover. In most cases, the engine shroud causes the air from the flywheel to circulate around the cylinder fins to promote cooling. I've heard of saws overheating and seizing up when run without the shroud. I hope you can find one.

Well, since you have been asking for it, LOL. I sold one of the contra gang, so I still have three.

I agree it's a real classic saw :)

rvcontracollbsmall.jpg

your air filter screen looks different than mine, which are much finer mesh. will post a pic tomorrow.

btw. still looking for your missing parts...:Eye:

My saw arrived with no top cover (desperately seeking one) and one broken fin and another that is bent. I assume the top cover was destroyed when the fin was broken but the saw still runs without the cover. Just doesn't look as good.

...Carl

Carl, apart from the plastic hood, there is also a metallic cylinder cover underneath the hood that is missing on yours. I'll show a pic tomorrow and sent you the IPL.

Last edited:
BTW, I wouldn't recommend running your Contra much at all without the top engine cover. In most cases, the engine shroud causes the air from the flywheel to circulate around the cylinder fins to promote cooling. I've heard of saws overheating and seizing up when run without the shroud. I hope you can find one.

Brad...Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait to run it more when the temp is in the sub zeros.

I knew you were expecting your Contra and with your history in restoring old saws I know you'll come up with lots of helpful info for those of us who are still neophytes. Here's :cheers: to you and I know it's driving you crazy just waiting for that package to arrive...Carl

New kid on the block here, just wanted to say I've got my Dad's Contra that he bought new. I've used it extensively, although it's been a few years. I did some select cut harvesting using the old sow to both fell & buck. I also have what he considered his limbing saw (Stihl), how do I determine its model & age?

Latest posts

Back