Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 958049
Had a few of my 1109 saws out the other day for a project we are working on. Bottom to top: early Contra G, Contra GS, Contra G, Contra G, Contra GS, 10 cube 090, 090G.
Seeing some of these up close and personal the other day was a treat.

I made a trade with Brad for the 2nd saw from the left.

IMG_20220121_17643.jpg

View attachment 958049
Had a few of my 1109 saws out the other day for a project we are working on. Bottom to top: early Contra G, Contra GS, Contra G, Contra G, Contra GS, 10 cube 090, 090G.

That is the finest looking collection of the older 1109 saws that I have ever seen. There are some really tough to find versions in there.

I had Mike powder coat my Contra GS and got the parts last week. Here's what it looks like as of yesterday. Just have the carb and sprocket to do. Also have top cover decals in the works.

Attachments

• IMG_20220228_10763.jpg
    IMG_20220228_10763.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220228_53799.jpg
    IMG_20220228_53799.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220228_36790.jpg
    IMG_20220228_36790.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220228_22193.jpg
    IMG_20220228_22193.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1
Hi all,
I have entered the realm of Stihl 1106 ownership. I have picked up a very rough 1106 on facebook marketplace. I have worked on a lot of other saws but this one is a new for me and I am still trying to learn the ropes. I love the look and history of these saws. From what I have read and understand there are many different sub-models of this saw and lots of variations. From the attached pics and the Motor No: 373881 does anyone have a way to look up any build info on this, manufacture year, model, etc?
Also if anyone has an illustrated parts list or basically any literature for this saw that be massively helpful. I haven't been able to find anything super useful on internet so far.
Thanks to everyone here, I learn something every time I am on this site.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0
Hello, welcome to the 1106 series addiction. Your saw was originally a 106cc saw. Yours is a standard Contra, meaning it’s not an AV or G. There have been a few show up with the topend swapped to a “S” topend which would make it 137cc. However, if your saw was originally a S, it would have 1106S on the tag instead of just 1106. If you’d like to take both covers off and post a picture we can tell you if it has been bumped up to a 137cc.

Hi all,
I have entered the realm of Stihl 1106 ownership. I have picked up a very rough 1106 on facebook marketplace. I have worked on a lot of other saws but this one is a new for me and I am still trying to learn the ropes. I love the look and history of these saws. From what I have read and understand there are many different sub-models of this saw and lots of variations. From the attached pics and the Motor No: 373881 does anyone have a way to look up any build info on this, manufacture year, model, etc?
Also if anyone has an illustrated parts list or basically any literature for this saw that be massively helpful. I haven't been able to find anything super useful on internet so far.

Saw doesn't look that rough to me. Just needs a good cleaning. Has a wrap handle, too.

It was produced around January 1965, give or take a month or so.

For those who are missing the rubber bumpers on top of your cylinder shroud, there are a few options for replacement.

An original shroud is pictured. I bought a couple of two types of rubber bumpers from McMaster Carr. Both are high-temp rubber, so either one should work fine. I have not test-fit them yet, so they may need minor trimming to get the height correct.

Part numbers are in the picture.

IMG_9132.jpgIMG_9133.jpgIMG_9050.jpg

Hi all,
You can go to Chainsaw Stickes and open Beg for Manuals thread to get IPL and other manuals. Also if you go back through this Contra Sharing thread you will find links for Manuals,where to locate parts and plenty of information on everything about this saw. It will take awhile to go through all 49 pages but it will be well worth it for all the information you get.

Hi all,
I sent you a PM which is a link to the IPL for the Contra.

Hello, welcome to the 1106 series addiction. Your saw was originally a 106cc saw. Yours is a standard Contra, meaning it’s not an AV or G. There have been a few show up with the topend swapped to a “S” topend which would make it 137cc. However, if your saw was originally a S, it would have 1106S on the tag instead of just 1106. If you’d like to take both covers off and post a picture we can tell you if it has been bumped up to a 137cc.

Attachments

• 75BD5A31-5FED-486A-B63F-587E71709A90.jpeg
    75BD5A31-5FED-486A-B63F-587E71709A90.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • F77CCCFA-EC2B-41ED-8295-802E8BCDEE41.jpeg
    F77CCCFA-EC2B-41ED-8295-802E8BCDEE41.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
That is a standard 58mm bore, 106cc. Pretty good shape, they are my favorite series of Stihl, but they’ll rattle your teeth loose, I just leave them in the shelf and look at them. Usually fairly simple to get running, file the points and put a carb kit in them is enough to make them run a lot of times. The safest thing to do would be to pressure and vacuum test the crank case to make sure there are no air leaks.

That is a standard 58mm bore, 106cc. Pretty good shape, they are my favorite series of Stihl, but they’ll rattle your teeth loose, I just leave them in the shelf and look at them. Usually fairly simple to get running, file the points and put a carb kit in them is enough to make them run a lot of times. The safest thing to do would be to pressure and vacuum test the crank case to make sure there are no air leaks.
Hi Brad,

I also got a Contra not lot ago here in Australia. I can upload some images of what I purchased.

How can you tell if ut has been upgrade or not to a larger CC saw ?

Regards
Justin

Hi Brad,

I also got a Contra not lot ago here in Australia. I can upload some images of what I purchased.

Regards
Justin

Stihl started putting 66mm jugs on the Contras at around serial number 360xxx. If the tag on the case reads "1106 S" instead of "1106" it's a factory 137cc saw. You could also get a 137cc gear drive, so the tag reads, "1109 S".

You can measure the piston or cylinder or post a picture of the top of your cylinder. It's configured differently than the 58mm/106cc jug.

Stihl started putting 66mm jugs on the Contras at around serial number 360xxx. If the tag on the case reads "1106 S" instead of "1106" it's a factory 137cc saw. You could also get a 137cc gear drive, so the tag reads, "1106 GS".

You can measure the piston or cylinder or post a picture of the top of your cylinder. It's configured differently than the 58mm/106cc jug.
Incorrect, the tag will not read 1106 GS for a 137cc gear drive. It will read 1109S.

Hi Brad,

Regards
Justin

There was a similar picture up earlier on in the Contra info sharing thread that I believe Phil posted. I couldn’t find it a while back so I took my own. If you look at the top of the cylinder and cylinder cover on the right, you will notice the pronounced hump on top of the cylinder with a corresponding pocket on the cylinder cover. The ones with this hump are the 66mm 137cc version, the ones on the left without the hump are the 58mm 106cc version.D73F44BC-0464-45A0-8244-FA0CC2770C8F.jpeg

There was a similar picture up earlier on in the Contra info sharing thread that I believe Phil posted. I couldn’t find it a while back so I took my own. If you look at the top of the cylinder and cylinder cover on the right, you will notice the pronounced hump on top of the cylinder with a corresponding pocket on the cylinder cover. The ones with this hump are the 66mm 137cc version, the ones on the left without the hump are the 58mm 106cc version.View attachment 1002523
Thanks Brad,

Looks like I will be looking at my Contra tomorrow. Awesome information

Cheers

Justin

Back