Stihl fuel filters - interchangeable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amin_1992

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey yall. Was at the Stihl dealer and just planning ahead on maintenance for my new MS 261.

Asked for 2 fuel filters for that model and brought them home. I never trust dealers so pulled my current filter to compare...

I was given Part # 0000 350 3512. It's black plastic with white filter material.

The current filter inside my 261 tank is # 0000 358 3401 C... It's black plastic with orange filter material.

Are all of these interchangeable? Other than number and color they look nearly the same... Both fit my line too.

Thanks all for the input

Attachments

• PXL_20230323_183202247.jpg
    PXL_20230323_183202247.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230323_183834122.jpg
    PXL_20230323_183834122.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
The difference is that the white ones have a 30 micron filtering element ,while the orange ones have a 15 micron one.

White filters tend to allow really fine particles to enter the carb ,
but won't cause lean mixture since they do not clog easily,
while on the other hand orange ones keep the carb cleaner ,but you have to watch out for lean mixture ,since they tend to clog easier .

The Orange ones were produced when the White filters were causing problems with the Fuel Solenoid mounted on the Carb with the Mtronics saws. Yes as mentioned they are a finer material to keep the Solenoid cleaner.

Yes you can use white or Red filters on non-Mtronics saws ( or any saw model). It is advised at some point to use the Red filters in the Mtronics saws.

Thanks all for your responses. Seems wild to me that everyone has a different potential difference / part number for this saw... I don't have an Mtronic 261. Do you think I'm fine to just use these filters? I use ethanol free fuel too and I'm pretty good about now getting dust and debris in the tank.

I just don't want to have to retune the carb if the filter is going to change the fuel intake

Thanks all for your responses. Seems wild to me that everyone has a different potential difference / part number for this saw... I don't have an Mtronic 261. Do you think I'm fine to just use these filters? I use ethanol free fuel too and I'm pretty good about now getting dust and debris in the tank.

I just don't want to have to retune the carb if the filter is going to change the fuel intake

I would think it would be fine but I'm not a Stihl guy. I have a Husqvarna I bought new in 1986 that still has the original filter in it. I have put fuel line in it and cleaned the fuel filter with carb cleaner but never replaced it.

You’ll be fine running the filter you have but for future reference part number 0000 350 3518 is the proper part for your saw.

I’d use the orange/ red filter and not worry about it. You won’t have to retune anything from a simple filter change
That's good to know. Well unfortunately I already brought home these filters so will use the white filters unless that's a big no no...

How often do you guys change filters? I didn't touch mine for 5 years on my last saw...

You’ll be fine running the filter you have but for future reference part number 0000 350 3518 is the proper part for your saw.
Thank you buddy. I'm bothered to see on my email I actually requested that part number!

Even more odd that the original factory filter isn't that number...

the orange filter came out when the white solenoid came out. I put the orange one in all the saws except the cheap saws. You want have to retune your carburetor. just change the filter out once a year.

The number printed on the filter you’re holding is not a part number.
They call it a production number. Its for the black component of 0000 350 3518.
0000 350 3401 is not in the Stihl dealer data base.
You were given the best current filter # for your saw.
0000 350 3518. Large body large nipple. It’ll be ok.

Hey yall. Was at the Stihl dealer and just planning ahead on maintenance for my new MS 261.

Asked for 2 fuel filters for that model and brought them home. I never trust dealers so pulled my current filter to compare...

I was given Part # 0000 350 3512. It's black plastic with white filter material.

The current filter inside my 261 tank is # 0000 358 3401 C... It's black plastic with orange filter material.

Are all of these interchangeable? Other than number and color they look nearly the same... Both fit my line too.

Thanks all for the input
Its like Consumer Cellular; Its the same.

Thanks guys. Will just roll with it!
I will say though that this makes me hate dealing with Stihl, time and time again.

Any other tool or piece of equipment, I can just find the part number myself and order the OEM part somewhere online. With Stihl, I have to find a dealer, and they oftentimes aren't competent enough to give me what I want...

Looking at my receipt it looks like I was actually given 0000 350 3504, not 3518. Any difference there? Who knows haha.

Back