Stihl grease for gearbox on trimmer/clearing saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there anything special about that Stihl grease that is suppose to go into the gearbox of a clearing saw/ straight shaft trimmer to lubricate the gears??? Will any good grease work as good?? I have a tube of that stuff around some where but haven't been able to find it . I don't mind buying Stihl grease if the dealers have it on hand but don't really want special order it either and have to wait and make a second trip just for that.

The reason for the question is the gearbox on my FS 280K doesn't sound or feel so good and might need to be replaced. I took that sight plug out and peeked inside the box . The gear isn't dry but could use a little lubrication . I have other similar trimmers and clearing saws and I might as well check them also.

I have never had to buy one of these gearboxes . Anyone care to venture how much a replacement box would cost . It wouldn't surprise me that a complete new gearbox would be about $ 100.00.

I have had this 280K for a long time and finally got it running the way it should and it is nice to have it back doing it's job . I checked Stihl's site and see they still have them available so parts should be available.

Any chance for an IPL for a FS280K ??

4128 640 0101 GEAR HEAD $239.85

Thanks Harley, WOW ,talk about sticker shock but doesn't really surprise me. I have never messed with one of these gearboxes but are individual parts available or does that gearbox interchange with any other models ??? I know I am asking a lot but I hate to give up on this machine especially after getting it running right and using it again.

That gearbox price is getting close to the price I paid for the 280 ,but that was a long time ago. I bought it used at a Stihl dealer who is no longer in business . I hate to guess what a new 280 would cost.

I believe the Stihl grease has a high percentage of Molybdenum Disulfide in it. It’s not very thick, it’s tacky, and it’s dark. (the prime marker of a Moly D grease) Any Moly D grease will probably do the same thing. I use the Stihl stuff because, well, I can get it at the dealer. I’ve used Delo too.

Is there anything special about that Stihl grease that is suppose to go into the gearbox of a clearing saw/ straight shaft trimmer to lubricate the gears??? Will any good grease work as good?? I have a tube of that stuff around some where but haven't been able to find it . I don't mind buying Stihl grease if the dealers have it on hand but don't really want special order it either and have to wait and make a second trip just for that.

The reason for the question is the gearbox on my FS 280K doesn't sound or feel so good and might need to be replaced. I took that sight plug out and peeked inside the box . The gear isn't dry but could use a little lubrication . I have other similar trimmers and clearing saws and I might as well check them also.

I have never had to buy one of these gearboxes . Anyone care to venture how much a replacement box would cost . It wouldn't surprise me that a complete new gearbox would be about $ 100.00.

I have had this 280K for a long time and finally got it running the way it should and it is nice to have it back doing it's job . I checked Stihl's site and see they still have them available so parts should be available.

Any chance for an IPL for a FS280K ??
Check your inbox

Thank-you so much Ray and Harley that is exactly what I need. That exploded gearbox is just about what I expected to see . I probably got a bearing going bad . We will see what happens.

Thanks to the other guys for the info on the grease . I have some moly grease around here also.

I have to go to town today anyway so I'll stop by the local farm and ranch store that sells Stihl . Maybe and that is a big maybe that they will have that grease . They don't sell much of the commercial type Stihl equipment but cater more to the homeowner stuff. The amount of those curved shaft trimmers they have in stock is awesome it is amazing they sell that many but they do.

I recently rebuilt the gearbox on an old FS86. It has 3 maybe 4 bearings I think, a pair doubled up on the input and 1 or 2 on the output. Not a bad job, but I would use good name brand bearings. As long as the worm gears are not damaged you should be OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But be careful with lubricating it. Less is more, you only need 5g. If you push in to much your gearhead is getting hotter as normal and the grease goes up the drive shaft. When it is enough it goes all the way up to the clutch.

But be careful with lubricating it. Less is more, you only need 5g. If you push in to much your gearhead is getting hotter as normal and the grease goes up the drive shaft. When it is enough it goes all the way up to the clutch.

Yeah, that is why the zerk fitting on those was a bad idea.
Guys get carried away with things....

Water getting in through a zero fitting is a problem too. Besides over greasing.

The store had a tube of grease but it was for electric saws and hedge trimmer gear boxes . I bought a tube anyway it was only $3 bucks. I found my other tube of grease for shaft trimmer gearboxes. There is a difference between the two types of grease . Like catbuster mentioned the trimmer grease is dark very dark , the other grease is light colored . They also have two different part numbers. I don't know if it makes a big difference but I'll use the trimmer grease , but I don't think it will solve my problem. There is a similar thread on grease on the bottom of the page.

The guys that replied about how much to use are correct . Just coating the gears with a little grease is enough . Less is better.

Back