Stihl HT75 frustration!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$12 carbs don’t work- $45 for oem is well worth it. (Plus your supporting local business-)
I have tried eBay carbs on various units when the oem carb is close $100- and they don’t work- either run pig rich or lean out when u move needle a fraction- paying $33 to save a cylinder or to save a fragile and expensive telescopic shaft when unit dies mid cut and gets stuck is well worth it IMO
the offshore spark plug will fail in 30 min of use, the fuel lines will go soft and bloat after a year, the air filters may hold up as long as chain is sharp as it won’t stop the fine dirt or will restrict air being to dense. The fuel filter will be so porous that it will barley stop the dirt that goes into tank as nobody cleans around that cap before opening. I digress
not starting a debate or conflict- but sometimes we spend dollars trying to save coins- and I have done same thing also at times.

ps- if/when OP gets new carb, buy a new style oem orange fuel filter at same time-

Then you can save the old carb and futz with it for the sake of learning, etc...
I had just rebuilt the malfunctioning carb, so I actually will save it for parts in case it's twin needs them.
$12 carbs don’t work- $45 for oem is well worth it. (Plus your supporting local business-)
I ask my local dealer's service guy a lot of questions and get lots of free advice. I'm happy to spend my money at his shop when I can justify it. When I needed a P&C for my 036, his price for OEM parts was reasonable, but it was still double the $121 I paid for Meteor parts. So I got Italian (think Ferrari!), not Chinese without having to spend more than I thought the saw was worth.
Until recently, I was a local small business owner, so I'm always willing to spend a little extra to buy local. T-A

Yup, Stihl is out to lunch on most of their cylinder pricing- I use meteor at times too even when compared to Stihl dealer net pricing on those parts-

So having two of the same model makes it all pretty easy to isolate a problem area.
I installed the brand new Stihl two-screw carb on my second HT75 (call it HT75B), and expected it to run. After all, it had been the saw that ran well until I stole its carb to put on HT75A, the saw that I couldn't get to run with the rebuilt suspect carb. To my surprise, it was a no-go! I then started analyzing the situation and discovered that the fuel line to the filter in the tank had seen better days. While I couldn't find any cracks, it was a bit dry and stiff, and the filter had a small hole in it that didn't belong there. With a new fuel line and filter installed, it now runs like a top! Soooo...I couldn't resist the temptation to reinstall the questionably defective carb (in place of the new one) to determine for sure that the problem was the carb and not the fuel line. And that's exactly what I found! Suspect carb No Good! So, after another 5 or so minutes, I had the new carb back on HT75B and running well. We'll see how it runs from a cold start tomorrow. Now all I need to do is fight the never-ending battle of leaking bar oil on my old style cutting heads. Saw "A" is pretty tight, but saw "B" usually wets the bed when I put it away for the night! T-A

Back