Stihl ID Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GudeMN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new guy here. I’ve been soaking up knowledge from the site this recently as I researched models of Stihl saws to upgrade to.

I need some help identifying a saw I purchased recently. I bought what I thought was a MS 362, but I believe my lack of experience got me as I wasn’t as diligent with my inspection as I should have been. I noticed these things once I got home and tried to swap out air filter and fuel filter, etc.

I think I have an MS 391 instead but I can’t be sure as the serial number has been tampered with.
28917 are the first 5 numbers and what looks like an “X” at the end.

The air filter and muffler looks like what I’ve seen for both (non-C) MS 362 and MS 391 in photo searches.

Can I get some help with ideas on other places on the saw to take a look for identifying what I have. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 47928973-76C9-45CA-80F7-50FECE57D385.jpeg
    47928973-76C9-45CA-80F7-50FECE57D385.jpeg
    885.5 KB · Views: 46
  • CDF7CB22-4936-4E08-8D16-5E7B907D4E22.jpeg
    CDF7CB22-4936-4E08-8D16-5E7B907D4E22.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • B42FBDF1-8E61-4DC2-B919-8BF30B00BA8E.jpeg
    B42FBDF1-8E61-4DC2-B919-8BF30B00BA8E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
Looks like a 362 to me, one of the earlier versions. Interesting work on the serial number there - could it have been stolen at one time?

What does label on the pistol grip/rear handle say? Doesn't the 391 have a plastic crankcase?

The X at the end of the serial number means it was pulled of the assembly line for some reason and possibly ran. Numbers are missing from the rest of the serial number. Numbers either worn from use or deliberately. Reputable seller?

Looks like a 362 to me, one of the earlier versions. Interesting work on the serial number there - could it have been stolen at one time?

What does label on the pistol grip/rear handle say? Doesn't the 391 have a plastic crankcase?
The elderly “gentleman” I purchased it from was supposedly 2nd owner. He was selling because he could barely make a fist or turn it over due to lack of strength, etc. I don’t know who he bought the saw from.

Emission control label notes 59cc displacement and 1140 967 3401 A S

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
The X at the end of the serial number means it was pulled of the assembly line for some reason and possibly ran. Numbers are missing from the rest of the serial number. Numbers either worn from use or deliberately. Reputable seller?
“Mark” sold it to me via CL. Elderly fellow who was impressed when I took the bar and chain off and opened it up to look at air filter, etc. He either didn’t know any better or is a good confidence man coupled with my lack of knowledge.

The serial numbers appear to be scratched out...looks deliberate. I don’t know what could rub there so perfectly, to remove only those middle numbers.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. This is a valuable resource for non-pros like me.
Reminds me of the Totally Yamaha forums I visit to keep my old sleds running.

I have more questions about this saw. Keep them in this thread or start a new one specific to the questions?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. This is a valuable resource for non-pros like me.
Reminds me of the Totally Yamaha forums I visit to keep my old sleds running.

I have more questions about this saw. Keep them in this thread or start a new one specific to the questions?

Thanks again.
Probably start a new thread for specific questions. I found this old thread about serial numbers and they said the serial number is also stamped inside the crankcase.

While that isn't a bad idea, it really wouldn't do much as for getting your saw back. First off, barely any dealers take trade ins. Second, most saws that are stolen are running saws, no need for service. Third, you would have to be really stupid to try and deal a stolen saw to a dealer which probably just sold a new saw to the guy who got robbed.

Dealers do look at saws if something is fishy. All stihl saws have the serial number marked inside of the case. So if the serial number is scratched off, then the deal should split the case. My dealer has done it a few times.

A bulletin board at the dealer with descriptions of stolen saws would be a good tool to get the word out.

Hopefully you find your saw. I like the 036 better than the 361.

Probably start a new thread for specific questions. I found this old thread about serial numbers and they said the serial number is also stamped inside the crankcase.
They are. It will be inside the case between the halves. I believe it’s on the PTO side half. Not sure the OP wants to split the case to find it, but you brought up a good point Steve.

Latest posts

Back