Stihl midweight recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndeerefarmer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 026 that we have had since the early 90's. It's running a solid steel Oregon bar and 3/8" yellow chain. It cuts fast but it's too heavy for lots of use.
Several years ago I tried a MS180 but it cut too slow and was hard to start. I borrowed a neighbor's MS211 but it also cuts slow and the oiler doesn't work good. I also have a Stihl MS151 for trimming. I need something between these two..

What's a good lighter weight Stihl that cuts fast? Or can you change the sprocket and put a yellow chain on any of the lighter saws?

025-ms250.
They take considerable less effort handling , are fairly snappy and inexpensive. I been using them decades for my main go to light weight and never found anything better for the purpose.
MS250 shows powerhead is 10.1 lbs. My 026 is 10.8 so not enough difference there. I would like about a 2 lb drop if possible. I have bad elbows and forearms so the lighter the better. Thanks

Stihl 63PS3 is really good chain. Cuts fast and stays sharp. I run it on my MS241CM. It's not yellow chain without anti-kickback features. But the anti kick back chain cuts just as well for everything except bore cuts. It'll do them but it's slower.

Even lighter and easier to start would be a Echo CS362. But it's got less power and will cut slower.

If weight is your biggest limiter, the Stihl 180 may work. Of course you're limited on the size and amount of wood you'll cut with the smaller saws, but if it keeps you in the woods cutting, that's a good thing.
Getting old sucks. LOL.

MS250 shows powerhead is 10.1 lbs. My 026 is 10.8 so not enough difference there. I would like about a 2 lb drop if possible. I have bad elbows and forearms so the lighter the better. Thanks
Like @Bango Skank said. MS241. Great lightweight saw with decent power. Hey @Edwad. Got any new ones laying around?

Any thoughts on the MS194CE vs the MS201CEM. The 194 is 1 lb lighter and cheaper. I assume it's made in China or USA vs Germany for the 201. The 201 also has M tronic technology.
I assume the 201 has an adjustable oiler and the 194 doesn't?

Can you use yellow chain with the 194?

Thanks

Any thoughts on the MS194CE vs the MS201CEM. The 194 is 1 lb lighter and cheaper. I assume it's made in China or USA vs Germany for the 201. The 201 also has M tronic technology.
I assume the 201 has an adjustable oiler and the 194 doesn't?

Can you use yellow chain with the 194?

Thanks
Have you thought about putting a short bar on the 026? I have a 192T that I can hold and cut with one hand, but it won’t hold a candle to a good running 026. If you can find an MS200T in nice shape I think you would b happy with that

Back