Stihl models advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboreham

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a homeowner but I have 10ac of mixed aspen / fir and could run my chainsaw every day if I wanted to, clearing deadfall.

Situation is as follows:

I've had an MS 391 for many years, 18" bar. It's worked well for me. Quite heavy though to use for long periods when delimbing and cutting material to go in the chipper.

A couple of years ago a neighbor moving to the city sold me his MS 180C, 16" bar. Initially it seemed like a toy but it's turned out to be quite nice for the lighter work.
Today I discovered the plastic handle molding is snapped in two underneath the saw.
Possibly I can glue it but it looks like otherwise the saw is totaled because that plastic molding looks time consuming to replace.

So I opened up the Stihl web site to look for a new saw that is lighter than my MS 391 but more durable than the MS 180C.
Also I have a note of the saws the local dealer has on hand from the last time I visited: MS 391, MS 362, MS 291
That's when I became confused. The MS 362 is a bit lighter than my 391, but much more expensive. Web site provides no clues as to why. Less plastic?
The MS 291 is the same weight but lower power, and uses a different kind of chain and lower price.

Then I found that Stihl has a chainsaw buying guide. They segment the market into homeowner, farm & ranch and professional.
Not sure how the saws know who is going to use them, but I figured I'm a farm & ranch guy, so clicked that.
Now it shows me saws that weren't displayed in the list when I clicked on chainsaws from the home page!
There's a MS 151 C-E there that says it's the lightest farm saw (6lbs) -- looks great, but it's $650! Does that mean it's not going to fall apart like the MS 180C did?
There's also a MS 194 C-E, but the web site says it's unavailable.

I'd appreciate If someone who knows the Stihl range could give me an idea which saws I should consider that are on the lighter side, for use as a second saw, that are also solid.
Are they transitioning to electric for the smaller saws, is that what's going on?

I'd like to stick with the Stihl brand for various reasons. Thanks.

Ok, im not really a stihl guy per say, but yes their numbering system sucks, to say the least.
Here's my advice. You seem to be in the market for a 50 to 60cc saw. I wouldn't never reccomend a homeowner grade saw, for the reasons you've stated. They are heavy, lots of plastic, and typically a pain to work on.
Now if your price shopping, stop reading here. It's pretty much that simple.

If your still reading, your likely going to commit to buy the last saw you will ever buy.
The ms261 is a decent 50cc saw. Pro grade and capable of running from 16"-20" bar. I think 16-18" is where its at with them.
Now this is where I'll loose you, but understand stihl has this magical saw. Ms400cm. 67cc and weighs what a 60cc saw does and has more power. There is a price jump from the ms362, but worth it imo.
These are pro grade saws, magnesium cased, with removable cylinders. They are made foe the long haul in hard uses situations. The benefits here is they will last the average fire wood hack their entire life. The pro saws (new) have m-tronic carbs. Which means they tune themselves.(you don't have to fiddle with carb screws to get them to run their best) All this adds up in the cost, department. They are not plastic throw away garbage.

If you are not cutting a lot of large diameter wood, 40 to 60cc is optimum for soft woods like you discribed. I never used an ms261 but it has a great reputation and if your goal is spend a bit more and get highest quality, cut more wood in shorter intervals with a little more effort on your part that should be ideal for you. If you want to spend less the ms250 is a little less of everything the 261 is but when properly tuned they are pretty snappy, a step lower in power, significantly lighter weight though with a good power to weight ratio. I use an older version 025 when i want to take a break and keep working. Anything bigger and faster then that body fatigue is notably more felt for me. The 250 will feel nice for lighter work similar to the ms180 only much more power over an 180, be a bit more weight and they tend to have a lot of compression u will notice when starting them. If their well tuned and start good I find them a pleasure to use. I have used the tar out of a few 025's and never wore 1 out. Your not cutting with it in the hundreds of hours a year you shouldn't either. If being abused heavy, the 261 would likely take a bit more but in my case and where I used to work their 025 which is most the same was used by multiple people and held up as well as their other 3 pro saws.

Ok, im not really a stihl guy per say, but yes their numbering system sucks, to say the least.
Here's my advice. You seem to be in the market for a 50 to 60cc saw. I wouldn't never reccomend a homeowner grade saw, for the reasons you've stated. They are heavy, lots of plastic, and typically a pain to work on.
Now if your price shopping, stop reading here. It's pretty much that simple.

If your still reading, your likely going to commit to buy the last saw you will ever buy.
The ms261 is a decent 50cc saw. Pro grade and capable of running from 16"-20" bar. I think 16-18" is where its at with them.
Now this is where I'll loose you, but understand stihl has this magical saw. Ms400cm. 67cc and weighs what a 60cc saw does and has more power. There is a price jump from the ms362, but worth it imo.
These are pro grade saws, magnesium cased, with removable cylinders. They are made foe the long haul in hard uses situations. The benefits here is they will last the average fire wood hack their entire life. The pro saws (new) have m-tronic carbs. Which means they tune themselves.(you don't have to fiddle with carb screws to get them to run their best) All this adds up in the cost, department. They are not plastic throw away garbage.
Thanks, I don't have a budget limit -- reliability and weight are more important. I'll see if I can find any of the pro saws in this area. The dealer I usually go to seems to only carry the farm saws.

Thanks, I don't have a budget limit -- reliability and weight are more important. I'll see if I can find any of the pro saws in this area. The dealer I usually go to seems to only carry the farm saws.
Stihl saws are difficult to find over the past year…with the economy continuing to nose dive and German industry faltering, it doesn’t seem like it will get much better any time soon. If you see one, don’t hesitate, we are coming up on saw season and many have no clue of the problems in the supply chain….

I wondered: what's the difference between the MS 261 (recommended above) and the MS 291 (in stock at my dealer)?
Looking at the specs, they're totally different, even though the model numbers suggest they could be similar.

Hello, I'm a homeowner but I have 10ac of mixed aspen / fir and could run my chainsaw every day if I wanted to, clearing deadfall.

Situation is as follows:

I've had an MS 391 for many years, 18" bar. It's worked well for me. Quite heavy though to use for long periods when delimbing and cutting material to go in the chipper.

A couple of years ago a neighbor moving to the city sold me his MS 180C, 16" bar. Initially it seemed like a toy but it's turned out to be quite nice for the lighter work.
Today I discovered the plastic handle molding is snapped in two underneath the saw.
Possibly I can glue it but it looks like otherwise the saw is totaled because that plastic molding looks time consuming to replace.

So I opened up the Stihl web site to look for a new saw that is lighter than my MS 391 but more durable than the MS 180C.
Also I have a note of the saws the local dealer has on hand from the last time I visited: MS 391, MS 362, MS 291
That's when I became confused. The MS 362 is a bit lighter than my 391, but much more expensive. Web site provides no clues as to why. Less plastic?
The MS 291 is the same weight but lower power, and uses a different kind of chain and lower price.

Then I found that Stihl has a chainsaw buying guide. They segment the market into homeowner, farm & ranch and professional.
Not sure how the saws know who is going to use them, but I figured I'm a farm & ranch guy, so clicked that.
Now it shows me saws that weren't displayed in the list when I clicked on chainsaws from the home page!
There's a MS 151 C-E there that says it's the lightest farm saw (6lbs) -- looks great, but it's $650! Does that mean it's not going to fall apart like the MS 180C did?
There's also a MS 194 C-E, but the web site says it's unavailable.

I'd appreciate If someone who knows the Stihl range could give me an idea which saws I should consider that are on the lighter side, for use as a second saw, that are also solid.
Are they transitioning to electric for the smaller saws, is that what's going on?

I'd like to stick with the Stihl brand for various reasons. Thanks.
You need a 261CM. Find a 261Cm, you’ll be happy.

Stihl saws are difficult to find over the past year…with the economy continuing to nose dive and German industry faltering, it doesn’t seem like it will get much better any time soon. If you see one, don’t hesitate, we are coming up on saw season and many have no clue of the problems in the supply chain….
You’re such an enabler lol.
I think I’m gonna buy that 661CM. Just… in case.

I wondered: what's the difference between the MS 261 (recommended above) and the MS 291 (in stock at my dealer)?
Looking at the specs, they're totally different, even though the model numbers suggest they could be similar.
2,8kw at approx 5,5kg power head will do pretty much the same as a 261.
But if you want a significant difference to your fatigue compared to your 391 you should take the time and patience needed to find a 261cm, use the splendid saw you already have for now and keep an eye open for a 261cm - perhaps at some summer time/autumn offer/discount.

After some inventory checking, 261 seems to be unobtainium around here, but I can get one 130 miles away so might make a road trip of it.
I did track down some MS 250s locally.

After some inventory checking, 261 seems to be unobtainium around here, but I can get one 130 miles away so might make a road trip of it.

Where is here? Every dealer I’ve been to has 261’s around here. I could probably buy 10 tomorrow.

Just no other pro saws. Lol

MS250 will do what you want for fatigue compared to your 391, its perhaps the best homeowner regarding low weight and high power. 18" might be asking a lot though.

Back