Stihl MS 044 Kolbin Schmidt 10mm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnarg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long time lurker and reader, posting for the first time in a long time, possibly ever. I'm a contract climber most recently traveling around the US and working along the way. Let me know if you're in the Sarasota area and need a climber šŸ˜ Anyways....

I had a great score today...definitely one for the books. I got this 044 from a guy on Craigslist for 200 bucks. I talked him down from 250. Saw was in great cosmetic shape but there is a missing clutch side seal and a probable toasted bearing. The story goes, he was an old logger and it started running funny so he brought it to a shop near here, thinking it needed carb work. They did some fiddling with it but never got it to run right, and sent it to their sister shop. They determined it had an air leak and needed seals. They gave him a price to repair but he didn't want to spend the money and decided he would just sell it. He said they quoted him about $300. I don't know much about these 044s other than the fact I used one once and it seemed like a ripper. Maybe it was a 440, I don't know the difference. I do know I like that generation, at least the 036, the 020t and the 066. The pictures below will show that the plastic piece inside is broken. It turns over no problem and I don't have a compression test gauge, but putting my finger over the plug hole it feels pretty good. Even with the scoring on the exhaust side of the piston. The grooves don't catch a nail, so I'm sure the cylinder can probably be cleaned up. I've been told it's a Kolbin Schmidt, 10mm cylinder. I understand that's a good thing, but I don't know why other than it being an early design and more rare. I'll post some pictures, can anyone tell me what's the big deal with these? I was planning on keeping this in the saw fleet to replace my 372. The husky needs a top end but it was always a ripper for me. And I've been told that husky has more power than this 044. So I'm inclined to keep the 372 in the line up. My bigger saw is a 660, so I would like the ability to share bars in case something happens and I have to use the other saw to finish a job. I have to keep my fleet small, since I can only fit what I own in my truck bed toolbox. Anyways, I'll attach some pictures below of the saw. I'm looking for some input on how this saw will perform compared to the 372 and which should stay in the toolbox and which should go on to ebay to enjoy the next part of life. The 044 seems lighter than the 372, so as a climber I am attracted to that....

Attachments

• PXL_20220214_202604649.jpg
    PXL_20220214_202604649.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20220214_202612420.jpg
    PXL_20220214_202612420.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20220214_202619588.jpg
    PXL_20220214_202619588.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20220214_194839744.jpg
    PXL_20220214_194839744.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20220214_194942528.jpg
    PXL_20220214_194942528.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20220214_194858084.jpg
    PXL_20220214_194858084.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20220214_194905812.jpg
    PXL_20220214_194905812.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20220214_202743043.jpg
    PXL_20220214_202743043.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20220214_195102554.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220214_195102554.MP.jpg
    9.6 MB · Views: 28
As I understand it the 10mm wrist pin version is more rare, Stihl switched to a 12mm wrist pin on later model 044's. Other than that I can't really say I'm not as familiar with the history of these saws as I am with others.

I think my 044 feels lighter than my 372xp , I did a bgd and used a meteor piston in it after cleaning up the original cylinder. The 372xp is definitely a little stronger with a 28" bar but I don't think I noticed any difference below that bar choice, but I've only run them modified in some way. The only stock 372xp I ran felt equally to my BGD 044.

Long time lurker and reader, posting for the first time in a long time, possibly ever. I'm a contract climber most recently traveling around the US and working along the way. Let me know if you're in the Sarasota area and need a climber šŸ˜ Anyways....

I had a great score today...definitely one for the books. I got this 044 from a guy on Craigslist for 200 bucks. I talked him down from 250. Saw was in great cosmetic shape but there is a missing clutch side seal and a probable toasted bearing. The story goes, he was an old logger and it started running funny so he brought it to a shop near here, thinking it needed carb work. They did some fiddling with it but never got it to run right, and sent it to their sister shop. They determined it had an air leak and needed seals. They gave him a price to repair but he didn't want to spend the money and decided he would just sell it. He said they quoted him about $300. I don't know much about these 044s other than the fact I used one once and it seemed like a ripper. Maybe it was a 440, I don't know the difference. I do know I like that generation, at least the 036, the 020t and the 066. The pictures below will show that the plastic piece inside is broken. It turns over no problem and I don't have a compression test gauge, but putting my finger over the plug hole it feels pretty good. Even with the scoring on the exhaust side of the piston. The grooves don't catch a nail, so I'm sure the cylinder can probably be cleaned up. I've been told it's a Kolbin Schmidt, 10mm cylinder. I understand that's a good thing, but I don't know why other than it being an early design and more rare. I'll post some pictures, can anyone tell me what's the big deal with these? I was planning on keeping this in the saw fleet to replace my 372. The husky needs a top end but it was always a ripper for me. And I've been told that husky has more power than this 044. So I'm inclined to keep the 372 in the line up. My bigger saw is a 660, so I would like the ability to share bars in case something happens and I have to use the other saw to finish a job. I have to keep my fleet small, since I can only fit what I own in my truck bed toolbox. Anyways, I'll attach some pictures below of the saw. I'm looking for some input on how this saw will perform compared to the 372 and which should stay in the toolbox and which should go on to ebay to enjoy the next part of life. The 044 seems lighter than the 372, so as a climber I am attracted to that....
This looks like a long term project. Crank bearings, seals, and probably a top end. The cylinder may be salvageable but can't tell from the photos. The mechanic pulled the PTO crank seal and saw the busted bearing retainer... and that was it!

A bunch of aluminum transfer goin on. Ebay folks are going to be sceptical of saving the cylinder, but the plastic looks good

Having to travel light and not getting to keep a lot of toys in my opinion would be the pitts.
The less you have the more you use....I have everything I need. Can only use one saw at a time anyway šŸ˜‰

Attachments

• PXL_20220211_224804599.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220211_224804599.MP.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 8
What do you guys think this would fetch on eBay in this condition?
I paid $250 shipped for one off ebay a couple of months ago that needed rebuilt, it had some ugly plastics and the clutch cover was broke. The cylinder was ok but I put a 460 cylinder I had on it.

Screenshot 2022-02-15 8.03.42 AM.png
KIMG2922.JPGKIMG2923.JPG

Attachments

• KIMG2892.JPG
    KIMG2892.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 5
Looking trying to find serial number on this saw for a better idea of what it is/how to put a price on it and.....

The only time I've seen a serial number not be on this tab was on a china bottom end on a 660 I bought. Is there anywhere else there might be a serial number? Maybe since it's an older saw???...is this bad news???šŸ˜­

Attachments

• 1645149176006108709775001949701.jpg
    1645149176006108709775001949701.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Looking trying to find serial number on this saw for a better idea of what it is/how to put a price on it and.....

The only time I've seen a serial number not be on this tab was on a china bottom end on a 660 I bought. Is there anywhere else there might be a serial number? Maybe since it's an older saw???...is this bad news???šŸ˜­
So stihl put casting numbers even on oem replacement case halves ,I believe it would be down under the tank mount.
No casting marks and part number = aftermarket who knows what else?

Ok so at least the flywheel side has a casting mark with a part number but I can't see anything on the PTO side without taking things apart more.

Back