Stihl MS 192 T starting problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mporter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a new Stihl 192 T and I have a persistent problem getting it started. Here's what happens:

Cold start.
1. I press the fuel pump bulb the 5+ times the manual recommends.
2. I set the Master Control to starting position.
3. I lock the hand guard.
4. I set the choke.

Now I pull to start. After one or two pulls the engine pops. I then open the choke and pull again. After one of two pulls the engine fires up, runs for about 2 seconds and then dies. After this, I can't get it to fire again.

And no, I'm not using old gas. I'm using the same new gas in my other Stihl, a 260 Pro. It starts just fine.

Any recommendations? Changes I might make to the carburetor settings? I like this little saw, but starting it is driving me nuts.

mporter said:
I've got a new Stihl 192 T and I have a persistent problem getting it started. Here's what happens:

Cold start.
1. I press the fuel pump bulb the 5+ times the manual recommends.
2. I set the Master Control to starting position.
3. I lock the hand guard.
4. I set the choke.

Now I pull to start. After one or two pulls the engine pops. I then open the choke and pull again. After one of two pulls the engine fires up, runs for about 2 seconds and then dies. After this, I can't get it to fire again.

And no, I'm not using old gas. I'm using the same new gas in my other Stihl, a 260 Pro. It starts just fine.

Any recommendations? Changes I might make to the carburetor settings? I like this little saw, but starting it is driving me nuts.

It could be a multitude of possible problems related to fuel delivery (over or under), but as it's new why not take it to a stihl dealer - you have 12 months warranty on it.

Latest posts

Back