Stihl MS 241 using .325" bar & chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stihl 3005 has the same slot thickness as oregon 041 or 095. I find it easy to modify any one of the three to get any of the others. The place stihl puts the oil in doesn't work out if the small tail "a" of the oregon ones unless the tail is shortened a bit if I recall correctly and the chain needs be a little less. Using the stihl bars on huskies the slot needs lengthened. Just don't try and drill too close to a spot weld.

There are universal mount .325 NK bars. Just epoxy up the holes or portions of holes you feel uncomfortable with.

The "universal Mounts" I have seen have covered the K095 and K095, but not the A074/3005?

Anyway, Carlton sometimes have stuff that Oregon doesn't have, and they have had some focus on .325 narrow kerf....

I think that the 3/8lp feels right compared to the .325 .058". ( I have a 50cc + 3/8lp combination also )

3/8lp .043" (1.1mm) > 3/8lp .050" (1.3mm) > .325 .058" (1.5mm)
chains.jpg

I agree about running .325" to increase chain life and improve wear. I've run a lot of 3/8"LP and .325" on my 241C and under my conditions the smaller chain wears far too fast to be efficient. The 241's do cut very fast though with the smaller chain, no doubt about it. I now run .325" exclusively but only in .063" on 16" Stihl E bars.

Cuts really well , the chain has been sharpened in the woods, at least more than 30 times after that picture. In real life, hand-sharpened chain is sometimes better than new, and sometimes not , but cuts well enough.

At least here the stihl ms 241 comes with a 3/8 picco.

Cuts really well , the chain has been sharpened in the woods, at least more than 30 times after that picture. In real life, hand-sharpened chain is sometimes better than new, and sometimes not , but cuts well enough.

At least here the stihl ms 241 comes with a 3/8 picco.

What Niko meant was that the chain on the right hand side of your photo is beaten up pretty bad. The lead cutter edges have been hammered. Looks like it's hit something pretty hard.

Back