ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc
Gold Clip Capital

Stihl MS 250's

anderson3754

anderson3754

Playing the ultimate game every day
Up date..... The new ms 250 now has 3 tanks of fuel through it. Starting procedure is has follows, Full choke pull twice, 1st pull no false start, 2nd pull the false start can barely be heard , but it is there. Move control lever to high idle 1st pull nothing, 2nd pull it starts and runs great. If you leave it on full choke and pull 3 times it's flooded.
The saw runs great 16 inch bar, 3/8 LP full chisel chain, the cuts are smooth and fast.

sundance

sundance

ArboristSite Guru
Up date..... The new ms 250 now has 3 tanks of fuel through it. Starting procedure is has follows, Full choke pull twice, 1st pull no false start, 2nd pull the false start can barely be heard , but it is there. Move control lever to high idle 1st pull nothing, 2nd pull it starts and runs great. If you leave it on full choke and pull 3 times it's flooded.
The saw runs great 16 inch bar, 3/8 LP full chisel chain, the cuts are smooth and fast.
Mine is hopelessly flooded at two full choke pulls. Remove plug, turn it over and cycle to clear gas.
I have yet to figure out a reliable starting sequence.

HarleyT

HarleyT

A-Hole!!
Yes. If I can get it to start I really like the saw. Runs and cuts very well.
Just try starting it with no choke first off.
If it doesn't hit, then try a light pull with the choke on, then follow with several pulls with the choke off, and see what happens.

SteveSr

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Getting really tired of it getting so locked up I can't even pull it.
Sounds like you may have a carb needle and seat problem. To prove or disprove this theory perform a pressure test on the fuel inlet to the carb. Carb should hold 7-10 psi indefinitely. If it leaks down you have a direct path for fuel from the tank into the engine i.e. flooding.

sundance

sundance

ArboristSite Guru
Sounds like you may have a carb needle and seat problem. To prove or disprove this theory perform a pressure test on the fuel inlet to the carb. Carb should hold 7-10 psi indefinitely. If it leaks down you have a direct path for fuel from the tank into the engine i.e. flooding.
@SteveSr , I don't have equipment for a pressure test. Cheap source? Or a work-around?

HarleyT

HarleyT

A-Hole!!

SteveSr

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
@SteveSr , I don't have equipment for a pressure test. Cheap source? Or a work-around?
You can also use a sports inflator (or bicycle pump) if it has a gauge on it and doesn't leak by itself. You can test it before you buy it by plugging the output hose. Or make one with a few simple parts like Harley shows above.

sundance

sundance

ArboristSite Guru
Ordered a Mityvac MV8500. When I found it for about $55 it didn't make sense not to get the additional capability instead of ~$20 in parts.
When it gets here I'll see what it adds to the saga. I like the saw for it's niche when it will start.

sundance

sundance

ArboristSite Guru
Just try starting it with no choke first off.
If it doesn't hit, then try a light pull with the choke on, then follow with several pulls with the choke off, and see what happens.
Tried it today, no choke. Started after 6-8 pulls. Reckon this will be my plan until I can pressure test the carb. Depending on that, be curious to see what happens when it gets colder,

sundance

sundance

ArboristSite Guru
Depending on the carb model you can probably just put in an OEM kit for considerably less. The only carb that I wouldn't kit would be if it had a fixed "H" jet. Which carb do you have?
To be honest I wasn't smart enough to verify when I was testing. According to the IPL it "should" be a Zama C1Q-S85B.