Stihl MS 250's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update
Both saws have 10-12 tanks of fuel through them. Both start exactly the same 1 pull on full choke having NO false start, 2 pulls on fast idle and their running and ready to cut wood. If you pull 2 times on full choke they will be flooded. Temps are in the high 80's- low 90's.
Now we'll see what happens this winter when the temps are below freezing.

I have a ms250 starts the way it should. the kill wire came out of the switch and had to choke to stop
three pulls and would start again. your saws need carb wurk. mine is 6years old, still starts the way it should
wisewood

The MS250 is a drowned rat and I would not take one as a gift. Best advice to anyone considering the MS250 specs and size of this saw, stop buying with your purse, do yourself the favor and get the MS251

my grandfather has a ms250, ever since he got it, it has been a bugger to start, half the time it would flood. a little while ago I did a rebuild for him, even after that it still wouldn't start, so i began experimenting with starting it, i found that the only way i could get it to start was, ONE pull full choke, then half choke. ONLY DO ONE PULL ON CHOKE even if it doesn't pop.
That works for that particular saw, every saw is different

Reading this is almost like reading an oil thread. The ms250 has to be one of the most controversial saws out there, there's so many mixed opinions about it.
The one I have has to be one of my most reliable saws. It always run the same, and the starting drill is textbook.
I have noticed that the carb is actually pretty large for the displacement of the saw, maybe this leads to it being picky about how it's setup?

yeah, from all the ms250s i have seen they all flood within 2-3 pulls on choke, one would, every once in a while flood on the first pull. all I had to do is adjust the metering needle and now i have no problems with it. sometimes though, these 250s don't even need choke, just go full throttle, or maybe half choke.

Well, apologies for resurrecting this thread but wanted to say thank you for to all of the posters! My older MS 250 has always been a starting “mystery”. Sometimes pop after full choke once or twice but most times flooded! When that happens, move to run, hold down throttle and pull 4-6 times or more and generally starts. I’m going to try the cold start from high idle procedure as one of you have found successful. Once running it has been a great small limbing saw.

Back