Stihl MS-261 Bar Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GitWood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have had a MS-261 with manual carb adjust for several years and love it. Found a good deal on a new M-Tronic version today and went ahead and pulled the trigger. I hope that it is as good as the old one!
Because I have several saws with 3/8 chain and make my own loops, I wanted to convert the new one to 3/8 pitch .050 gauge. The young man at the store didn't know much about saws, but was very accommodating and allowed me to help him look for the appropriate bar and sprocket. He did not have the sprocket, so I ordered that. He had a bar which sure looks to me like it will work, so I bought it. However, when I got it home I found that it is a different part number than the 3/8 bar on my old 261. The part numbers are 3003 008 8917 (Which I have been using on my old saw) and 3003 000 8817 (New bar which I intended for the new saw). Will this new bar work or have I made a mistake? Any insights appreciated.
Yep, I know that the original .325 would probably be a litter faster/smoother, but it would be an odd-ball for me and not worth it.

Thank you! That is what it looked like to me but sometimes there are subtle differences that I may not notice. I think that this new bar is a little heavier, but probably not a lot heavier. I can live with that. Looking forward to trying the M-Tronic. When I bought the 261 several years ago I couldn't decide on a MS-261 or Husky 550XP. They are both great saws, but after using both for a few years I'm replacing the 550XP with the new 261. The Husky autotune has been pretty good, but could be better. Hope I'll like the M-Tronic better than Autotune.

Thanks again for the help!

I can tell you that I sure like my 261cm. I would buy another in a heartbeat.👍
I hope you like yours just as much.

Back