Stihl MS 262 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkness 77

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any leaks on a forthcoming 261 upgrade ? I see that the other saws MS 362 , 462 are out. I’ve just bought a 261 and now I’m thinking a 262 could be on the horizon.

I’ve just bought a 261 and now I’m thinking a 262 could be on the horizon.
I think you should try to be happy with your MS261cm for now, 3kw at 50cc and within the 5kg powerhead weight regime wont get noticeably better anytime soon.

I think you should try to be happy with your MS261cm for now, 3kw at 50cc and within the 5kg powerhead weight regime wont get noticeably better anytime soon.

I’m super happy with the 261. It’s a good companion to my 661. I’ve only used it the once cutting fire wood but was instantly impressed with the power for such a lightweight package. Just curious with the new models coming out.

I heard that they have miniaturized the Rockwell Retro Entabulator

to optimize the air fuel mixture resulting with the MS 262 generating 10 hp at 18,000 rpm and 123 ft-lbs of torque leaving Piltz hot saws sucking air.

Why you don't need all of that 18k rpm 10 horse nonsense, just a 50 or 100 tooth sprocket. 🤔

With Germany having manufacturing issues on the horizon and most saw models pretty much updated, I would not imagine much new for a while. Probably zero emissions saws are likely where the industry is headed. I bought a Greenworks 80v saw, and it is as strong as a stock 026 with less chain speed. It weighs less with 2ah battery too. The battery tech needs to evolve, and it will.

How long does it cut with a 2ah battery?
I don't know yet, it's supposed to make 200 cuts, but in what wood and size I don't know. I made a few cuts in 12" dryed ash. It really surprised me with its power. It's much, much better than my 36v Makita. When I get the chance to cut wood,I will report back.

Back