Stihl MS 391 Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, especially if they grade a mechanic's job performance/labor %, etc..
What got me was, saw comes in...saw is broke, assess saw...fix saw, turn in ticket and go on to the next job.

2 weeks later, Joe Customer wants to know what i did exactly, do i have the old parts, what caused it, have i ever seen it happen before...and im like man i dont even know which saw you are talking about ive worked on 75 saws since then..

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

What got me was, saw comes in...saw is broke, assess saw...fix saw, turn in ticket and go on to the next job.

2 weeks later, Joe Customer wants to know what i did exactly, do i have the old parts, what caused it, have i ever seen it happen before...and im like man i dont even know which saw you are talking about ive worked on 75 saws since then..

My problem, since I was one of the 2 cycle guys, Is a dozen $120 or so trimmers in a row, problem needed to be diagnosed, estimate written, customer called with estimate over $100, never fixed, and no credit for my time at all.
So I was a second class citizen from the get-go. Then also I had to futz with the Franzen all day, but also, got no labor $ credit for sharpening either.
I only put up with that **** for 6 months. Of course the owner didn't like me, as I constantly gave his sons hell,
but that was fun....

My problem, since I was one of the 2 cycle guys, Is a dozen $120 or so trimmers in a row, problem needed to be diagnosed, estimate written, customer called with estimate over $100, never fixed, and no credit for my time at all.
So I was a second class citizen from the get-go. Then also I had to futz with the Franzen all day, but also, got no labor $ credit for sharpening either.
I only put up with that **** for 6 months. Of course the owner didn't like me, as I constantly gave his sons hell,
but that was fun....
I was only 2 cycle guy also..had to deal with the poulans, ryobis, the estimates that were turned down, on top of a boss that wanted so badly to sell new trimmers that he raised the prices of new echo carbs up high enough no one reasonable would have fixed them so i ate alot of time there. On top of unloading semis of new riders..unpaid.

3 years to the week...

i have a few ideas.
1 grease the chain grove with a saw pen and keep doing this every other fuel up. it will run better when running.
2 turn the oiler all the way up and leave it there.
3 i think your real problem is under the bar cover. it could be off the chain but i dont think that is it. it could be the chain brake drum notch isnt on the oiler and is turning at a redued rate.

we need to pull the drum cover and see if the needle bearings are dry and or seized. this is what i think is happening. when the brake is on . your not having the bearings function.

i have a few ideas.
1 grease the chain grove with a saw pen and keep doing this every other fuel up. it will run better when running.
3 i think your real problem is under the bar cover. it could be off the chain but i dont think that is it. it could be the chain brake drum notch isnt on the oiler and is turning at a redued rate.

we need to pull the drum cover and see if the needle bearings are dry and or seized. this is what i think is happening. when the brake is on . your not having the bearings function.
i have a few ideas.

Thanks for the reply, it's a brand new saw, only a few hours old ,it's a bit weird I think the sawdust is clogging up the bar/oiler was cutting dryish logs, I agree turn up oiler full and watch the chain between cuts, thanks regards David

Thanks for the reply, it's a brand new saw, only a few hours old ,it's a bit weird I think the sawdust is clogging up the bar/oiler was cutting dryish logs, I agree turn up oiler full and watch the chain between cuts, thanks regards David
but that doesnt address your not able to pull the cord, with the brake on. i think it had no lube from the factory or they damaged the bearing race, on installing.

Latest posts

Back