Stihl ms170/180 oil line replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlaHuskyFeller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, been awhile since I’ve been on here. Hope everybody is doing well. This is a problem solved thread, I’m hoping others can learn from my mistake.

My ms170 was leaking oil pretty bad, like leaving a big puddle from sitting overnight. I bought the saw when I was a kid, so it’s got some miles on.

I followed a video on YT about replacing the line, and it seemed to go well. I started the saw and it was pushing oil out, cool. I put the saw away and didn’t use it for about two months.

Here’s the screw up.

A couple weeks ago I needed it for fencelines, and I was about 40 minutes into cutting a big poplar when I realized it wasn’t oiling. Chain got hot and just about fully locked up. Ironically the chain was razor sharp and it was absolutely slicing through that big tree, I knew it was going too well.

What had happened was the oil line went in and kinked, cutting off all oil flow. There’s enough room in the tank where the line comes in for it to go to the right and fold up, instead of the left and out under the fill cap. I was in a rush, and didn’t pay attention. I figured it didn’t need to come all the way out, as the tank is lowest under the flywheel. Wrong. I also thought it couldn’t kink and still fit just fine. Wrong again. The oil I saw coming out originally was the last few drops from the pump, I didn’t let it run long enough to see it stop oiling.

I just finished with it about an hour ago. What I did was take some fishing line, and put it through the bottom and up out the fill cap. I then cut it nice and long, and it was small enough I could thread it through the oil filter. Make sure to tie the knot on the flat spot of the filter in the front, so the knot is the first thing into the tank. Put the fishing line and filter in, then turn the hose with your fingers while gently pulling on the fish line so not to disconnect the filter from the hose. Pull it right into place, then get the smallest pair of side cutters or even scissors, and cut the fish line. Let the filter hit the bottom, and that’s that. Flip the saw over, and push the first grommet into the oil tank and make sure it seals. Now, before you connect the hose end to the pump, fill the tank with light weight bar oil, at least half or so full. Take a syringe, mine was a plastic 20cc vet syringe, and stick it on the end of the oil line. It fits just perfect. Slowly and gently suck out the air from the line, and get about a half a syringe of oil. Your oil hose is now primed. Squirt a bit at the pump, put the rest in the tank, and connect your oil line to the pump.

Reassemble saw, and start it and let it idle and watch for it to oil. Start it with the side cover on, as the second choke holds the throttle wide open until you hit the trigger to release it. Don’t rev it up without the bar and chain on, as the clutch could explode and somebody could get hurt. I let mine idle for at least five minutes, making sure there was a good stream of oil with no bubbles. Should be a nice mess under the saw.

Moral of the story, don’t be in a rush. If I wasn’t in a rush, I would have seen that there was no oil coming out, and wouldn’t have cooked my chain. I didn’t let it run long enough to realize the line was kinked. Also, sometimes things on YT aren’t as easy as they’re made out to be. I hope this helps somwbody, as they’re isn’t much info on this out there. Oh, and a new bar and chain was only $125 lol

That’s the video I used, and yes it was the correct line, I got it from my local dealer. Sat down and looked at the parts blowup with them.

It was just me being in a rush, and not paying attention more than anything. I used it today, and forgot how great this little saw cuts with a new chain.

Back