stihl ms180 smoke bomb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only the left metric muffler bearings have been going bad... the right ones seem to hold up better.
Thanks Mr. GrizG. I'm pretty sure the left side of my muffler only has bushings and they seem to be imperial not metric. Could that have any bearing on this incredibly long thread? And while I'm at it, I probably need some recommendations on what type of premix oil to change to :laugh:

Thanks Mr. GrizG. I'm pretty sure the left side of my muffler only has bushings and they seem to be imperial not metric. Could that have any bearing on this incredibly long thread? And while I'm at it, I probably need some recommendations on what type of premix oil to change to :laugh:
I use Red Armor, VP Racing, Echo power blend.

By the way OP could you check the DOM, date of manufacture on handle label. Just curious.
I'm thinking you need air filter, plug, carb kit.

How? The block is sealed everywhere but the intake and exhaust. Are you suggesting that it gets sucked into the exhaust?
Oil pump could have a sealing issue. and in case of it getting on the muffler have you ever accidentally brushed a muffler with your hand after a saw has been running for a bit they get hot oil and lots of heat mean smoke.

After further consultation with my wife I'm thinking she got me this saw christmas before last. Cordless weedeater was last christmas. 😁 At any rate the receipt is in an unknown location. And-I have zero confidence in the shop that it came from. Prior service episodes have been very bad. And--I can just imagine their reaction when I tell them the saw smo
As long as she did not buy it more than 2 years before you take it in you should be fine. If you take it this Saturday as long as she did buy it before November 19, 2020 then it should be covered. As for the receipt that should not be a problem as the dealer you bought it from should have registered it with Stihl. If you do not want to go to the same dealer you should still be fine. The warranty is based on serial number. If you do not want to go the dealer only to find out she bought it too long ago there should be a phone number at Stihl you can call to see when the saw was registered. If you do not want to have it fixed under warranty of course thst is your choice.

I wasn't sure what you were looking for so may not have gotten a good view of it. Repost if you need another pic

Attachments

• 20221114_174954.jpg
    20221114_174954.jpg
    955.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221114_174928.jpg
    20221114_174928.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 1
ok, I see your pic now. How do I get the diaphram off? Stick a knife under it and pry it off?

here ya go again

Attachments

• 20221114_182338.jpg
    20221114_182338.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20221114_182353.jpg
    20221114_182353.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
After further consultation with my wife I'm thinking she got me this saw christmas before last. Cordless weedeater was last christmas. 😁 At any rate the receipt is in an unknown location. And-I have zero confidence in the shop that it came from. Prior service episodes have been very bad. And--I can just imagine their reaction when I tell them the saw smokes too much ("they're supposed to smoke, dumbass"). Anyway I think someone requested a look at the air filter and spark plug. Filter looks clean, spark plug is really bad. Burning waay rich in my limited experience ??
Either throw the existing air filter into the laundry or buy a new one. While it doesn't look too bad on the surface it is, after all, a depth type filter.

Back