Stihl MS200T: What's So Special About It?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conquistador3

Le Comte de Frou Frou
Reaction score
I was taking my biweekly look at various local classifieds in search of chainsaws and I could not but be taken aback by how insanely expensive MS200T's still are.
A saw in apparently great shape is a "non negotiable" €650 while a non-runner (apparently straight-gassed) will set you back at around €400.

Now, I know the 200T is a great saw, one of the best top handle ever made, but a brand new MS201T is €840 MSRP, meaning any Stihl dealer will let it go for €800 with your choice of bar and a spare chain thrown in for good measure. Were I on the market for a brand new top handle saw, it would be a no-brainer. Yes, I would probably get an Echo or a Zenoah. :laugh:

Is the 201T such a dud that the old model is still the best buy? Or does the 200T have such a legendary status that owners feel they must ask a hefty premium for it?

This is a good queation, always wondered the same. They hold there value for a reason I can't explain myself, looking forward to the pros input

When the 201 first came out it really was that much of a dud. It quickly earned a very poor reputation. That's why the price is/was so inflated on 200s.

However, with only a few minor mods, the 201 could be easily made to out perform the 200. Now, even new 201s run very well, although they still really benefit from those same mods.

Bottom line, a 200 should not be worth that kind of money, and only is to those that don't know how to bring a 201 up to its potential.

It is not like the stock market where available data is actual transactions.

Perhaps the fact they fall to the ground every now and then and the price of replacement parts.

Trust me on this: here the final price of a second hand Husky or Stihl is very close if not exactly the same as the asking one.
If the owner asks €700 for it, he'll sell it for no less than €650.
I've bought enough second hand power equipment to learn that the hard way.

When the 201 first came out it really was that much of a dud. It quickly earned a very poor reputation. That's why the price is/was so inflated on 200s.

However, with only a few minor mods, the 201 could be easily made to out perform the 200. Now, even new 201s run very well, although they still really benefit from those same mods.

Bottom line, a 200 should not be worth that kind of money, and only is to those that don't know how to bring a 201 up to its potential.

Ah, that's a very interesting and plausible explanation. Around here modifying saws is pretty much unknown outside of "hotsaws" for competitions: apart from adjusting the carb, saws, especially expensive ones, stay stock.

I picked up my MS200T about 6 or 7 years ago that had a scored piston and cylinder *carb needed a rebuild and had leaned out the saw* for $25 bucks. I polished out the cylinder and piston with 3000 grit sandpaper and its still running to this day. Makes me feel kinda lucky.

Yes, you are lucky. ;)

The MS200T is a great little saw, very powerful. It also eats carburetors for lunch and seems to snack on crank seals. But when it is running well there is no better (older) climbing saw. That being said, mine is in the shop again. I think I will buy the current iteration of the MS150 for a backup. Curse you AS.

I am editing this post to say that I ONLY run canned, no ethanol, fuel in this saw. I have been buying Tru Fuel 40:1 mix but I am now trying Home Depot's store brand 40:1.

When I first got my saw, I got it running and sent it to the local dealer to do a carb rebuild seeing as I figured that was why it roached. They found it needed a new carb and did me a hell of a deal on a new carb and tuned the thing. Still running great and gets a carb rebuild every other year just to stay safe. Its been a great saw for me. Earned its keep so far.

It's only a popularity thing or fad. There are other saws in that size range that will embarrass the cool guy.

Challenge accepted.... name some names there young fella.

the 200t has its reputation because it is WELL EARNED. anyone who has ever worked one IN A TREE hour after hour after hour on branches that were wayyyy to big for its intended use will agree. there may be short term "fixes" by other manufacturers, but there is no current offering "over the counter" that will "embarrass" a 200t dollar for dollar( pound for pound) over the long term in its intended use range.
A top handle in its working environment HAS to function. Any time longer then necessary for a climber to be in a tree is assuming danger for no reason. they are not cutting cookies up there for firewood. they are limbing a tree mostly for removal and a paycheck( family survival).

personally, I think a 201TC is a damn good alternative if the operator has an open mind...but Religions die hard....and the following that a 200t has is well earned.
As to value/price....the market will offer what the market will bare ( poorly quoted Adam Smith stuff)

Challenge accepted.... name some names there young fella.

the 200t has its reputation because it is WELL EARNED. anyone who has ever worked one IN A TREE hour after hour after hour on branches that were wayyyy to big for its intended use will agree. there may be short term "fixes" by other manufacturers, but there is no current offering "over the counter" that will "embarrass" a 200t dollar for dollar( pound for pound) over the long term in its intended use range.
A top handle in its working environment HAS to function. Any time longer then necessary for a climber to be in a tree is assuming danger for no reason. they are not cutting cookies up there for firewood. they are limbing a tree mostly for removal and a paycheck( family survival).

personally, I think a 201TC is a damn good alternative if the operator has an open mind...but Religions die hard....and the following that a 200t has is well earned.
As to value/price....the market will offer what the market will bare ( poorly quoted Adam Smith stuff)
:clap::cheers:

Back