Stihl ms201 t c m problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpaul71

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Saw will start rev then shut off. Repeat. Changed solenoid but didnt change anyth8ng. Could it be wiring harness and is that a difficult job to replace?

Saw will start rev then shut off. Repeat. Changed solenoid but didnt change anyth8ng. Could it be wiring harness and is that a difficult job to replace?
Probably a carb issue. sounds like it gets gas for a few seconds then no fuel.
sometimes the m-tropic carbs can be rebuilt…sometimes not.
I’ve done 4…50/50. Replaced carbs on 2 🙄
wiring harness is a pain but not hard. A meter can tell you if you have a bad wire.

I had one a couple of months ago that would rev up and when you started to make a cut lean out and die. I replaced the solenoid. Then the complete carburetor.
Turned out to be the ignition module which through some voodoo tells the solenoid what to do.
These saws should run in the triangle position and sound like they are going to choke out but not.
If you have to do anything else to make them run then something is off.
Unfortunately you have to dismantle that saw to replace the ignition module.

Time to diagnose. Start with fuel in a glass jar. Look for water. Yeah I know, "my fuel is good". This why I still find water in 75% of the saws that come in the shop. Pressure test fuel line when still assembled. Now you know the fuel delivery integrity to the carb.
Carburetor #1 on 201TC. BUT, harness wear, cylinder gasket, seal leaks and bearing wear are also common.
Diagnose or guess. Diagnosis is cheaper.

Ok I’ve seen where the upgraded solenoid which is grey one I think won’t work on version one it has to be black one? Also is there some kind of solenoid on the ignition coil?

Back