Stihl MS210 won't start after sitting for 15 mins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamaresca

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have MS210 that starts easily when cold and runs fine. It will also restart when hot after sitting for a few minutes. It will not start after sitting for more than 10 mins, unless i pull the spark plug, give it a few pulls and put the plug back in than it starts. Choke is always in the run position when attempting to re-start. I have done the following:
- replaced the spark plug
- replaced the carburetor with OEM version
- Replaced the clutch and sprocket
- Cleaned spark arrestor
- While sitting removed gas cap
- Inspected gas filter
- Cleaned air filter

Anything I have missed? I'm guessing it somehow gets flooded after sitting but don't know how.

Yes, choke is in run position. I've also tried starting as if it was cold with choke closed for several l pulls than 1/2choke, just to see.

The coil is interesting suggestion, will investigate.

Yes, choke is in run position. I've also tried starting as if it was cold with choke closed for several l pulls than 1/2choke, just to see.

The coil is interesting suggestion, will investigate.
Choke in run position is good but the question is, are you setting the throttle to fast idle position? 2-strokes do not like to start with the throttle closed after sitting for awhile.

Choke in run position is good but the question is, are you setting the throttle to fast idle position? 2-strokes do not like to start with the throttle closed after sitting for awhile.
Not sure what you mean by throttle position. The choke has 3-set positions. No way to set the throttle other than squeezing the trigger.

He means use the middle position - choke off, but throttle partly open.

He means use the middle position - choke off, but throttle partly open.
Thanks, I've always started my other saws when hot in the run position, will have to test it in the middle position.

One thing to check is crankshaft seal on clutch side. This seal can leak and cause restart challenges and/or erratic idle. With the saw warmed up and running, take can of carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner and aim thin straw in area of crankshaft seal. If saw stumbles or stalls out, the seal will need to be replaced. This model family is prone to seal issue if prior operators had run regularly with dull chains.

Are the fuel lines new?
After 15 minutes before you restart pull air filter and syringe in fuel mixture and see if it starts. If yes then just replace lines. If not ignition coil would be my next choice

Want to thank everyone for their input, will investigate all the suggestion this weekend and get back on the results. I'm leaning towards it being the ignition coil, have one on order just in case.

Time to diagnose the issue. Spark tester and pressure/vacuum test. Also pressure test fuel line and vacuum test tank vent. Pressure test carb also. Did you remove muffler and inspect piston? Any play in crank bearings?

My clean little MS250 is very similar to your saw OP. It had the same issue forever.

I recently took a chance on a Chinese carb from Amazon that was recommended to me and it fixed the saw.

I can’t begin to tell anyone what the issue is with the factory carb or how the replacement is different but the saw went from something I cussed to something I use around my farm now. It rides on my ATV in its current state and I like it a lot since the repair.

Certainly not sure if it would help your saw but it did this one.

My clean little MS250 is very similar to your saw OP. It had the same issue forever.

I recently took a chance on a Chinese carb from Amazon that was recommended to me and it fixed the saw.

I can’t begin to tell anyone what the issue is with the factory carb or how the replacement is different but the saw went from something I cussed to something I use around my farm now. It rides on my ATV in its current state and I like it a lot since the repair.

Certainly not sure if it would help your saw but it did this one.
How old was your saw/carb? Have you taken the original carb apart? Might as well if you have a working carb on it.

How old was your saw/carb? Have you taken the original carb apart? Might as well if you have a working carb on it.
I will eventually but it’s a known issue with the 250s. I have had the saw 6-7 years, not sure when it was made. I bought it to ride on the ATV but after it was so cantakorous at times I hadn’t messed with it much. I suspect it’s why I got the saw for such a good price.

I suspect it’s a flaw in the design but have no clue what it could be. I’m happy with it now. While some Chinese stuff is junk (I’ll tell about the calipers for my old Polaris Sportsman sometime 😑) some things work well. It’s a roll of the dice but a guy who had bought the same one told me it was a good one. Still under $20.

I will eventually but it’s a known issue with the 250s. I have had the saw 6-7 years, not sure when it was made. I bought it to ride on the ATV but after it was so cantakorous at times I hadn’t messed with it much. I suspect it’s why I got the saw for such a good price.

I suspect it’s a flaw in the design but have no clue what it could be. I’m happy with it now. While some Chinese stuff is junk (I’ll tell about the calipers for my old Polaris Sportsman sometime 😑) some things work well. It’s a roll of the dice but a guy who had bought the same one told me it was a good one. Still under $20.
Which one is it? I have a 5 year old ms250, so may need a good recommendation in my back pocket if mine finds the same fate. Thanks.

Which one is it? I have a 5 year old ms250, so may need a good recommendation in my back pocket if mine finds the same fate. Thanks.
If there is no rule against posting links to Amazon I’ll be glad to link it here.

The only thing that might bug someone (like some of the reviews mention) is the screws are not quite in the same position as the factory carb. Still easy to adjust but not perfectly centered in the cover opening.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XWHHGHH

Latest posts

Back