stihl ms241-c spur sprocket replacement to rim

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello all , may be threads for this but cannot find them, ( on this site) ..... have Stihl ms241c with a bar 16 inch # 3005-000-4813 , 3/8 picco, looking to replace the spur , with the rim sprocket kit #1143-007-1002, is this just an easy swap ? using stihl chain # 3617-005-0055....... @chipper1 , @HarleyT ?, my local stihl dealer stated no problem , and ordered one stated they will install , however i have read this may not work ?? this dealer also stated they have these saws in stock ??? i guess maybe...please advise , thank you

thanks Harley, i have seen that e-bay add from a good man , and supporter of the chainsaw community , however the question remains that with a..... 3/8 bar in 3/8 pitch picco , with a 16 inch bar , with the part # listed above , there is not enough adjustment left converting to this kit , and that after doing so you need to convert to a 56 link chain apposed to the 55 link, or change the bar to a different part # ............and i have 5 chains for this combo with my spur sprocket still in place ... so to Clarify, i am looking for this answer to this question can you confirm fitment ? ..

26606ab3921b71d65fa1b4bfc5760a81.png

f781f070aa04ffa22ef03cf04f293838.png

I run a 241 with the rim setup. I can get a 55 link on but barely. I sort of have to fold the bar into place. If you get bound while cutting it is very difficult to the remove the powerhead without having to pop the e clip off. Cant just grind the bar tail off, the adjuster is out of travel, so would have to oval the adjuster hole in the bar. I run the 56 link. Sucks as I wanted to share bars and chains with my 201. The extra chainspeed from the 7 pin makes it worth it for me.

I can't tell you for sure, I run mine with a 14", but I did have another bar I had for it.
If you don't get an answer by tomorrow night give me a shout out here or a call and I'll see what all I have and try it for you.
Hope all is well out your way.

I run a 241 with the rim setup. I can get a 55 link on but barely. I sort of have to fold the bar into place. If you get bound while cutting it is very difficult to the remove the powerhead without having to pop the e clip off. Cant just grind the bar tail off, the adjuster is out of travel, so would have to oval the adjuster hole in the bar. I run the 56 link. Sucks as I wanted to share bars and chains with my 201. The extra chainspeed from the 7 pin makes it worth it for me.

Do some timed cuts in bigger wood, you'll find the 7 tooth cuts slower than the 6 tooth.. Been there ,done that. 7 tooth might be faster in real small wood. Steve

The bar and 7 tooth drive and 55dl work for me on a ms251. 56 dl and 7 tooth drive is kind a bit more bar tail space off than I prefer.

a drive link less to the drive sprocket, half a drive link per used half a drive sprocket, 3/8" less chain in front of sprocket center, 3/16 amount of change bar vs saw body.

Test out how much more the adjuster will go back, How much would one possibly have to file the hole forward?

yes thats what i have heard , it will go on but not with any adjustment left , think ill cancel the order for the rim sprocket kit , and just run the spur sprocket , thanks for the input

I can't tell you for sure, I run mine with a 14", but I did have another bar I had for it.
If you don't get an answer by tomorrow night give me a shout out here or a call and I'll see what all I have and try it for you.
Hope all is well out your way.
thank you mr. black, i believe we have sorted this out , btw a have a new phone and lost your # in the swap out some time last year , hope all is well with you as well, sir , have watched 1-2 vids on u-tube, you have done on the 241c ...nice

thank you mr. black, i believe we have sorted this out , btw a have a new phone and lost your # in the swap out some time last year , hope all is well with you as well, sir , have watched 1-2 vids in u-tube you have done on the 241c ...nice
Okay, so you gonna let me in on it :popcorn2:. Guessing you want to take sure it all works properly first.
I need to fix a damaged chain on my 192(hit a 3/8 chain when cutting :rare2:), maybe when I'm down there I'll see what I can do with the 241.
Cool, they are nice saws even though they don't handle as nice as a husky, they are a little lighter so it's not as important.
so sounds like your on board with the , leaving it stock with the spur clutch rim ?
I think the stock spur does just fine, but it's more expensive to change out.
The one I currently have is ported so it will run a 7-pin, but I have to be light handed with it or the clutch will slip.

Okay, so you gonna let me in on it :popcorn2:.,.....
Brett , the bar and chain combo for 16 inch bar will not work in the rim configuration due to lack of adjustment , in order for this to work , A: the chain will need an added link to 56 , or B: the 16 bar will need to be changed to a different part # , i will just be leaving the spur sprocket on and running it , looks like this combo in 16 inch 3/8 picco is the only bar and chain Combo that has this issue , their is a thread from a different forum with a discussion of this, i don't visit that site often ... :)

Brett , the bar and chain combo for 16 inch bar will not work in the rim configuration due to lack of adjustment , in order for this to work , A: the chain will need an added link to 56 , or B: the 16 bar will need to be changed to a different part # , i will just be leaving the spur sprocket on and running it , looks like this combo in 16 inch 3/8 picco is the only bar and chain Combo that has this issue , their is a thread from a different forum with a discussion of this, i don't visit that site often ... :)
I'll fix your quote :p.
Got it, I'm sure @SAWMIKAZE would have the answer on it as well if he swings by, but he's hanging over there most the time from what I have seen.

Back