Stihl MS250 Typical Lifespan, comparison to new version

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS250 discontinued??? This is January 2023 and they are still available at my local Ace hardware ( authorized Stihl dealer) and other local Stihl dealers in my area. But who knows I may be wrong! 😀. The ms250 is one of the most popular homeowner saws available from Stihl. I did hear from my Ace hardware that Stihl was discontinuing the ms170 and ms180 but have yet to confirm it.
I work at a Stihl dealer. The MS250 was discontinued over a year ago but many dealers still have stock. The 170 and 180 are now 171 and 181.

I got in a first year 025 that has wore the clamshell mounting area in plastic case. Would move around. Needed new case. He bought another saw instead.
Sold 025 for 30 to a friend and he put new case.

Original owner got many years out of that 025 (this was back in 2014). Think he said he bought it 1991.

IMO keep that older stuff going. Unless cost gets over the worth of saw.

View attachment 1029262
The MS250 has been discontinued so if you can find a dealer that has them in stock I’d suggest buying a new one while you can. I bought one a few years ago and I can honestly say it’s one of my most used saws. It’s one of the best if not the best saw in its class offered by Stihl. Parts will be available for some time so it may be worth it to you to fix yours if your not able to find a new one.
Thanks for the info! If the ms170 and ms180 are being replaced by the ms171 and ms181 then what is Stihl replacing the ms250 with?
If I were to guess it would be a ms251. That would be unfortunate yet understandable! I’ve never been a fan of the odd numbered ms series saws. I’m glad there are ample sources of parts available for the ms250/025 still available to keep those saws in the wood! 👍😀

Thanks for the info! If the ms170 and ms180 are being replaced by the ms171 and ms181 then what is Stihl replacing the ms250 with?
If I were to guess it would be a ms251. That would be unfortunate yet understandable! I’ve never been a fan of the odd numbered ms series saws. I’m glad there are ample sources of parts available for the ms250/025 still available to keep those saws in the wood! 👍😀
You are correct, the MS251 is replacing the MS250.

It's possible that Stihl has altered the MS250 or discontinued it but there's parts around right now that will last for years and if that isn't enough the Chinese are making parts and complete saws and doubt they'll discontinue production soon. I even have few spares around here. I've also seen several 025-250 saws when I go to flea markets in the Summer. There's also lots of the 017-018 saws and parts around.

The MS361 is a good odd numbered saw! But I'm not too crazy about the 251. I guess Stihl had to re-do their saws because the Chinese pretty well flooded the market with the older ones. It will take a while for the Chinese to re-tool for the 251 and others and people will buy Stihl parts in the meantime.

I own a Stihl dealership, and the MS250 is definitely not discontinued, nor are the MS170 or MS180. Each of these models of saw is better than their replacement 251, 171 etc. The 171 and 181 are both a total POS imo, I don't even sell them in my store. Once the 170s and 180s are gone I will tell people that the 171 and 181 are good saws because I have to sell something, but until then you won't see them on my shelves.

Possibly the MS250 has been discontinued in some areas due to EPA regulations, but here we can still get them.

I own a Stihl dealership, and the MS250 is definitely not discontinued, nor are the MS170 or MS180. Each of these models of saw is better than their replacement 251, 171 etc. The 171 and 181 are both a total POS imo, I don't even sell them in my store. Once the 170s and 180s are gone I will tell people that the 171 and 181 are good saws because I have to sell something, but until then you won't see them on my shelves.

Possibly the MS250 has been discontinued in some areas due to EPA regulations, but here we can still get them.
So, the 171 and 181 are POS's now but you'll endorse them once necessary to get a sale. Glad my dealer has more ethics.
He calls them as he sees them and won't change his opinion to get a sale.
I understand you can only sell what they choose to supply, but......

My MS 250 is around 10 years old and still is doing fine .

To make any saw last run fresh premix, sharp chain and clean air filter.

At my shop we have/sell tons of MS 250’s and order them all the time. Have never heard of them being discontinued and I’m in California.

The only saws discontinued in California because of stupid CARB regulations (California Air Resources Board) are the MS 171 and 181, and the rear handle MS 194. Which is really dumb because we can sell the top handle MS 194T.

We sell the MS170 and even brought in the 180 for a while when Stihl was out of the 170.

Husqvarna was talking for years about discontinuing the 372 and that never happened. We sell and order tons of them.

I highly doubt the 250 will ever be discontinued and if your worried about it and your ever in Northern California I have 20+ 250’s to sell to you no problem

Back