Stihl MS251C circa 2019

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xraydaniel

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Scored this little buckin saw to accompany my Echo CS400. Got it for $50 and while its definitely seen some action. Just needs a good sharpening on the chain and some tlc on the body.

Any feedback or tips for this particular model? I know the EZ start system is not so great.
AC86FF79-AB05-4AA0-A10A-F41FD7A218DA.jpeg

Scored this little buckin saw to accompany my Echo CS400. Got it for $50 and while its definitely seen some action. Just needs a good sharpening on the chain and some tlc on the body.

Any feedback or tips for this particular model? I know the EZ start system is not so great.

Remove the "H" carb limiter and reset another 3/4t CCW to help it live long and prosper (not burn up). Yes, it can be done with patience.

Remove the "H" carb limiter and reset another 3/4t CCW to help it live long and prosper (not burn up). Yes, it can be done with patience.
I tune my own 2 cycles all the time. That’s a given plus a muff mod.

View attachment 1035321
I think if some people knew how to use the easy start system they might like it. Many just like to pull it like it was a conventional starter. I just got done changing one over from the easy start and I'm not sure it's an improvement. Not my saw though, I'll see what the customer thinks..

I think if some people knew how to use the easy start system they might like it. Many just like to pull it like it was a conventional starter. I just got done changing one over from the easy start and I'm not sure it's an improvement. Not my saw though, I'll see what the customer thinks..
Customer? Omg, someone is paying money to swap over? Oh well it's their cash.

When I finally stopped fighting the easy start on my blower and used the way it was meant to be used, it's fine. I still have to pull as many times but it is easier to pull. I would rather it had a regular start but oh well...

That’s the impression I first got from reviewing it around here and the web. Some broken parts as well which could be due to using it as a regular pull. While it doesn’t bother me and I know how the system works I’m not willing to modify it.

Any feedback or tips for this particular model? I
get into rim drive. Genuine Stihl for the mini spline sprockets and after market for the generic small spline. Then use a narrow kerf .325 (preferably the 23rspro) or the 63picco chain. You can also get 6 tooth picco sprocket as well as the Stihl 7 on the spline one.

The more advanced air filter fits on it. maybe it is hd2

The spring suspension is soft enough, so the one bar nut seems ok.

Be sensible if you work it real hard and smoke shows up from the clutch area, it takes quite a while to cool,

my 251 is junk!!!!!!!!!!! somebody locked it up and I got the motor loose but cant get the clutch off the crank to get the motor out of the case. got everything else off. Talk about a joke to work on! WOW!

I got shafted on an internet auction when I bought it! Thats one of the hazards of buying just looking at a pic of something! I still wanted to fix it and use it,---got WAY too much money in it now to quit! New motor and sprocket will fix it.

my 251 is junk!!!!!!!!!!! somebody locked it up and I got the motor loose but cant get the clutch off the crank to get the motor out of the case. got everything else off. Talk about a joke to work on! WOW!
That’s a bummy sonny boy. Always risky buying online. I remember taking down a ‘79 Poulan S25cva in lime green with the magnesium case. What a doozy! Sometimes best to cut losses and move on.

Ya!-- never know what you are getting. This is the first REAL junker I ever got stuck with. all of the others needed work but ended up being good saws. 1 other one had to have a new motor but since the plastics are not too expensive I got the motor and putting it in is a real treat! Plastics must have taken lessons from Sthil on making saws impossible to work on! LOL!
I still dont mind working on them for my own use. Would NEVER do it to make money,--takes too much time and time IS money!

Just got through cleaning it thoroughly and the amount of dust and bar oil could have fueled an old Mercedes turbo diesel. Oil channels were totally gummed up but it flows nice now. The cam tightener seems okay but the thumb screw doesn’t really let you snug the chain up so tight with this system. Maybe I’m missing something. Muffler could use an Expo marker sized outlet. Might not bother doing the muff mod.

Remove the metal plate on the inside of the cover. Clean any sawdust and oil buildup especially around the thumb screw. I have a 180c, 211c, and the 251c they all operate normally regarding the tensioner.

Just got through cleaning it thoroughly and the amount of dust and bar oil could have fueled an old Mercedes turbo diesel. Oil channels were totally gummed up but it flows nice now. The cam tightener seems okay but the thumb screw doesn’t really let you snug the chain up so tight with this system. Maybe I’m missing something. Muffler could use an Expo marker sized outlet. Might not bother doing the muff mod.
You might want to belay the muffler mod as the carb may not be able to supply sufficient fuel even with the limiters off. 3/4t of the "H" screw makes very little difference. It also has a limited coil making tuning more difficult.

I just got news that the changeover from easy start to conventional starter wasn't too well received. It seems that the old man who owns the saw can't pull it through with the regular starter and now wants the easy start put back on. I left instructions on how to use the easy start to help him start his saw after it gets installed.

Back