Stihl MS261 NON-MTRONIC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@EchoRomeoCharlie The Stihl MS400 is a M-Tronic with carb. Only the 500i is fuel injected for now. Perhaps in the future fuel injection will make it to other CC classes.
Interesting. I have no interest in the 400 with my 500i. Assumed because of the 00 (and I assumed there was an i after it to be honest) number it would be injected....poor assumption on my part.

Things sure are getting high though. I got my 261 back in 2013 for just a little over 5. It’ll feel better than the 026 but I would keep that saw. The 261 has served me well but I honestly don’t like much about that saw.

I’m sure some guys would pay that in Canada for a non mtronic 261.
we only get mtronic version here.

Good advice & if you get a chance to try an m tronic 261 you may be pleasantly surprised, especially if you deal with some pretty significant elevation changes. I love the chipped Stihls although I was apprehensive years ago. The most recent versions have no problem recognizing and compensating for modifications as well.
I may eventually have to give in and get a chipped saw, but still apprehensive as you say. I'm still a bit old-school and fully capable of making adjustments. I even own a tach! :p No elevation changes really, and I am a long time industrial HVAC/DDC controls tech in addition to running a farm & nursery but I've watched our industry (HVAC) get so complicated with technology you can't hardly troubleshoot equipment problems without a book. Wouldn't have thought 10 years ago that not only would I have to have a a computer to work on chillers but I have 2, with so much software/hardware it's ridiculous!

Things sure are getting high though. I got my 261 back in 2013 for just a little over 5. It’ll feel better than the 026 but I would keep that saw. The 261 has served me well but I honestly don’t like much about that saw.
Yes they are getting pricey. I've been checking my local dealers since starting this thread and they say its hard to get hands on a non m-tronic right now. I have to ask, what don't you like about the 261?

Yes they are getting pricey. I've been checking my local dealers since starting this thread and they say its hard to get hands on a non m-tronic right now. I have to ask, what don't you like about the 261?
It is a good saw. It served me well but at the time I was also running a small echo 370, a Maruyama 5100(Dolmar), and a Husky 385. Comparably I just found the 261 rough, loud, and hot. It never oiled the bar well and didn’t respond to a tune like the others. And, lots of fines got past the filter. Never had any failures though. Just got to where I didn’t use it much.

It is a good saw. It served me well but at the time I was also running a small echo 370, a Maruyama 5100(Dolmar), and a Husky 385. Comparably I just found the 261 rough, loud, and hot. It never oiled the bar well and didn’t respond to a tune like the others. And, lots of fines got past the filter. Never had any failures though. Just got to where I didn’t use it much.
That's especially disappointing to hear about the filter.

Back