Stihl MS261 NON-MTRONIC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCamo

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 'new' Stihl ms261 that's non mtronic with a 20" Oregon bar. I like the fact that it has the carburetor adjustments instead of auto mtronic too. The guy says that the saw was test fired at dealer but never used, and from looking at the pictures I tend to believe he is telling the truth (you never know). He is asking $800 for it and I'm wondering if that's a fair price for this saw. I'm currently running an old 026 that I've had for MANY years - it's been a workhorse but I'm thinking that this ms261 might be a step up. Not to mention that the old 026 is getting long in the tooth. I also have a 660 I bought last year for the occasional big stuff, but its a bit much for everyday use. I would like to hear some thoughts on this ms261 saw - thanks.

No, that's not a fair price unless its ported.

@pioneerguy600 can we get this moved.

I can buy one right now (m-tronic version) for under 700 with tax and that's brand new on the shelf at a dealer.

No way would I buy one at $800 second hand. Maybe you're in Alaska or somewhere remote where stuff is more expensive? Not sure.
I was looking at the NON m-tronic version. After reading through the replies to this, I feel like kind of a dummy, I should have done some more research on my own. For some reason I was thinking that the non m-tronic wasn't available anymore Or I could have checked my local dealers 1st. To @EchoRomeoCharlie, I'm in SC, but again, I thought the m-tronic was the only version that could be bought new.
I want to thank everyone who has replied to this post too.

I was looking at the NON m-tronic version. After reading through the replies to this, I feel like kind of a dummy, I should have done some more research on my own. For some reason I was thinking that the non m-tronic wasn't available anymore Or I could have checked my local dealers 1st. To @EchoRomeoCharlie, I'm in SC, but again, I thought the m-tronic was the only version that could be bought new.
So did you tell him 500 :) .

That's about right , if its nice.
He said dealer fired only so I figure it was nice going on that description.
I wouldn't pay that unless I planned on running it for a while, but they are nice saws. I've had a few of the late model ones, all mtronic though, and now have the earlier mtronic 261 that was ported by Randy. Nice saw running a 20" for bucking, but I still prefer the huskys for limbing, the newer 261 handles a little better.

I'm looking at a 'new' Stihl ms261 that's non mtronic with a 20" Oregon bar. I like the fact that it has the carburetor adjustments instead of auto mtronic too. The guy says that the saw was test fired at dealer but never used, and from looking at the pictures I tend to believe he is telling the truth (you never know). He is asking $800 for it and I'm wondering if that's a fair price for this saw. I'm currently running an old 026 that I've had for MANY years - it's been a workhorse but I'm thinking that this ms261 might be a step up. Not to mention that the old 026 is getting long in the tooth. I also have a 660 I bought last year for the occasional big stuff, but its a bit much for everyday use. I would like to hear some thoughts on this ms261 saw - thanks.
No, not by a long shot, even with taxes

Paid $503 for mine at a dealer 3 years ago

He said dealer fired only so I figure it was nice going on that description.
I wouldn't pay that unless I planned on running it for a while, but they are nice saws. I've had a few of the late model ones, all mtronic though, and now have the earlier mtronic 261 that was ported by Randy. Nice saw running a 20" for bucking, but I still prefer the huskys for limbing, the newer 261 handles a little better.
I've heard others say that they like the way the huskys feel handling wise. When I bought my 026 many moons ago I originally had my mind set to buy a husky but was convinced to get the stihl at that time. Service wise, I can't complain about how well the 026 has held up. Of course I'm pretty anal about taking care of my saws...

I've heard others say that they like the way the huskys feel handling wise. When I bought my 026 many moons ago I originally had my mind set to buy a husky but was convinced to get the stihl at that time. Service wise, I can't complain about how well the 026 has held up. Of course I'm pretty anal about taking care of my saws...
Good saws for sure. Now that you've ran stihls for so long, a husky may not feel "right" to you anyway. You may want to hold that 261 and see if you like that, they've added a bit of an angle to the handlebar(more like a husky, obviously it was the right thing to do ergonomically ;)), some like it some don't.

The 261 is a step up from your 026, better air filter and AV, but I don’t think you’ll be enthused with a slight power increase. Better to keep your 026 for limbing, then consider something in the 70 cc range to fill the gap between your 026 and 660. Then you have all your bases covered. 026, 462, 660 for example.

Good saws for sure. Now that you've ran stihls for so long, a husky may not feel "right" to you anyway. You may want to hold that 261 and see if you like that, they've added a bit of an angle to the handlebar(more like a husky, obviously it was the right thing to do ergonomically ;)), some like it some don't.
Good advice & if you get a chance to try an m tronic 261 you may be pleasantly surprised, especially if you deal with some pretty significant elevation changes. I love the chipped Stihls although I was apprehensive years ago. The most recent versions have no problem recognizing and compensating for modifications as well.

Understood, but MSRP isn't that different and honestly, I would pay LESS for a non-m-tronic version...I know not everyone agrees on that though.

If that's something you absolutely have to have and you can't find it anywhere else, I guess pay the man what he wants or try to offer him less. Honestly with that asking price it sounds like he knows you really want the adjustable carb version and he's pricing it high because of that.

I like the idea of buying a 400 like the poster above said, but I'm guessing if you don't want M-tronic you definitely don't want fuel injected.

Latest posts

Back