Stihl MS261C M-tronic WILL NOT IDLE. Brand new.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anymanusa

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I'm pretty peaved. This has been part of my two saw plan for a long time, I finally pulled the trigger and bought one after years and years of holding off. My MS 441CM has been flawless. I've had it for over a decade. I was the earliest adopter of the m tronic. I had the ms 280 iem or cm whatever too. Didn't really like that as much though, kinda low on power really.

Anyway, the new saw was very jerky and rough on the first break in tanks. It was slightly disconcerting. I took the muffler off to verify that no overheating/scoring occured, it looked fine. I used the saw in the damp weather on wet pine for a few minutes and it seemed alright.

So maybe 4-5 tanks through this saw now. Today I went to clean up storm damage, a gigantic pine fell over two fences and i had the 32" bar on my 441 so I was depending on this 261 for limbing. It would not run. I reset it several times and it still WOULD NOT IDLE. It was super hard to start. Like it was getting flooded easily. After it sat, I could choke start it, but it would idle down and die with the first trigger. After a thoroughly disappointing performance, and a sore shoulder from pulling the starter, I gave up and used the big saw for everything.

When I got home, I took the spark plug out and it looked a little black, but probably inline with an oil burning chainsaw. It wasn't "oily" but it wasn't white either. The air filter is fine, I tried several different gas types, I reset the m-tronic a half dozen times, every time it seems to take the reset, but then I let off the trigger and the saw dies. It will not start without my finger holding gas on trigger.

I'm really peaved. What else is there to do?

On a side note, when I purchased the saw, the dealer grabbed it from me and took it to the back room and gassed it up and ran it to full throttle for a few seconds. That was mildly annoying.

Wtf am I supposed to do now?

I think he said he's had it for over a decade. I'm not sure. Lots of information about saws and it gets confusing as to which saw he is referring to. Maybe that's on me. I don't know....
The 441 he has had for a decade and it has given no problems- something that does not often appear in the same sentence!
But I believe it is a new 261C-M that is giving problems.

Dang right take it back to the dealer and he better be good about it. I just bought an ECHO 620P instead of the Stihl 362. The ECHO dealer also took it back for a few minutes , then I said " done already"? He said ya , we already have it ran and tested. I bring it home. It runs like total crap. Make no mistake I was swearing at all you ECHO fans! Snicker. I didnt hear a chainsaw run at all so figured must have been outside in the back somewhere. Some young lady , tall, kind of drabby and dirty takes the saw back. She had it running very well in about 3 minutes. She also had it WIDE open a few times for about 5 seconds. Ya , it was a bit annoying cause I never thought it was good to run it like that . She had it running good though. They said, after 10 tanks it will likely run "like ****" and then bring it back for readjustment. I will do that cause I dont want any excuses if the chainsaw gives me problems. It is a small engine shop with a good reputation in a small town. However , I am quite sure they didnt run it like they said or I would ave heard it. It was LOUD when I took it back . They didnt give me any grief, however, I only owned it for about 2 hrs. before it had to go back in.

That's why I love my old saws I got for free. And I can fix with parts/tools I have in my shop......

Is the 261 so much better than the 026? I've got 20% of the $$$ into my 026 with all the spare parts I need until I'm dead, compared to a new 261.

That's why I love my old saws I got for free. And I can fix with parts/tools I have in my shop......

Is the 261 so much better than the 026? I've got 20% of the $$$ into my 026 with all the spare parts I need until I'm dead, compared to a new 261.
Don't borrow one. You'll have to buy one after you run one. It is a great little saw.

Don't borrow one. You'll have to buy one after you run one. It is a great little saw.
I'm sure they are the cat's azz.... work on them? Fun?

Nope, I've 2 026, 028S, 2 036 , and 3 038s.

I'm set for life with 2 056Ms and 066, on bigger stuff.

Extra parts for all and tools to fix them, parts carcasses too.

I'm autotune or mtronic for life. They are just too good from 17*F to 95*F in Alabama weather. I have an FS460cm and an MS441cm...the 261 just appears to have a Manufacturing defect.

I'm not going back to tuning screws unless I'm forced.
I'm not going to the $tihl dealer, except for part$.

It only gets to 95oF here a bit in the summer, but at 17 oF if you're cold, you ain't working hard enough!

I'm autotune or mtronic for life. They are just too good from 17*F to 95*F in Alabama weather. I have an FS460cm and an MS441cm...the 261 just appears to have a Manufacturing defect.

I'm not going back to tuning screws unless I'm forced.
Far easier, cheaper and quicker than problematic solenoids, inability to adjust the saw and multiple trips to the dealer though! :)

I’m genuinely interested to know what problems you’ve had with your adjustable carbs?
I have a husky 435 that cannot be tuned for stable running operation on a continuous basis. It won't restart well and doesn't run the same from one day to the next. It has been like that since purchase 10+ years ago.

Made in Sweden.

Also, my autotune saws will run after sitting for a year. The ****** ethanol gas doesn't seem to foul up the small carbs like it does the carb on my old Toro 4 stroke and my push lawnmower and my generator, my chipper shredder, or my riding lawnmower.

The autotune carbs have been much less a hassle than any other carb I've ever owned.

Although I must say my Stihl 4 mix carb is adjustable yet I've never had to touch it for any reason whatsoever in over ten years. It's on a KR130 if I remember the letters correctly.

I have a husky 435 that cannot be tuned for stable running operation on a continuous basis. It won't restart well and doesn't run the same from one day to the next. It has been like that since purchase 10+ years ago.

Made in Sweden.

Also, my autotune saws will run after sitting for a year. The ****** ethanol gas doesn't seem to foul up the small carbs like it does the carb on my old Toro 4 stroke and my push lawnmower and my generator, my chipper shredder, or my riding lawnmower.

The autotune carbs have been much less a hassle than any other carb I've ever owned.
I've got some screw carbs that have not been apart in 40 years, still run fine. A Homie from the 70s....

Think you'll find autotune parts in 40 years?

I've got some screw carbs that have not been apart in 40 years, still run fine. A Homie from the 70s....

Think you'll find autotune parts in 40 years?

Do you mean the carb,coil,flywheel when you say parts for these ? Because that's about all that's different.

I think the parts for the m-tronic/ fuel injected saws are gonna be a lot more common in the years to come considering that's the future of chainsaws. Standard carbs will be history in the next decade.

Do you mean the carb,coil,flywheel when you say parts for these ? Because that's about all that's different.

I think the parts for the m-tronic/ fuel injected saws are gonna be a lot more common in the years to come considering that's the future of chainsaws. Standard carbs will be history in the next decade.
I think we’re only a couple of decades away from them being overtaken by battery.

Back